Which SETA factor?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

milp

Which SETA factor?

Post by milp » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 15:58

Hey guys,

I was wondering, which SETA factor would you recommend to use?

I have been running my TC over night at 1000% SETA for about 10 hours and when i came back, it seemed that nothing happened at all. Ships that i had ordered to dock at a station that was only a few minutes away didn't even dock yet and my stations made no profit at all.

What am i doing wrong? Is my SETA factor too high for the AI to work with?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 18:00

Had you switched away from the game? It will automatically pause when you do that, which sounds like what it's done in your case. If you want to run it overnight you have to leave it as the foreground application.

milp

Post by milp » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 20:22

pjknibbs wrote:Had you switched away from the game? It will automatically pause when you do that, which sounds like what it's done in your case. If you want to run it overnight you have to leave it as the foreground application.
No i didn't, but thanks though.

What i did was stop my ship and activate SETA. It seemed like the game itself still worked, but all game-internal scripts and that stuff paused.

A good example is that when i had a sector map of a sector with sats and stations in it open, it would stop updating ship positions and movements when i entered SETA.

It's weird because i don't get these things at 400% seta.

Illanair

Post by Illanair » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 20:28

A patrol could have flown past you and scanned your ship. The "Nothing illegal here" dialogue stops SETA. :)

milp

Post by milp » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 20:33

Illanair wrote:A patrol could have flown past you and scanned your ship. The "Nothing illegal here" dialogue stops SETA. :)
Hm that didn't happen either. I came back, turned on my screen and i was still in SETA mode ;)

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 20:44

If your PC is overloaded the game engine may stop running scripts. It is more likely to get overloaded at high SETA.

That would cause what you have seen (running at 400x would not cause the same load), but you should see the same when you run SETA and are sat in front of your screen...

:?

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 20:44

We need you to do some more testing. What factors work? Which don't? Post a detailed report in Tech Support if you can confirm this behaviour, complete with Dxdiag. Actually, if you could upload video footage to confirm this it would be even better.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 20:44

Does your pc have any sort of auto hibernation activated?

And another thing while it worked in x2 to do this in X3 and TC if you leave the game unattended for a long time especialy in seta you will lose a lot of rank and very likely ships and stations.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 22:07

I agree with some of the stuff posted above, this is most likely caused by your computer not being powerful enough to run the game 10x faster than usual. If the game is sometimes slow or very laggy at normal speed, then this is obviously your problem, if not, I would bring this issue up in tech support.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

milp

Post by milp » Sat, 18. Apr 09, 23:44

EmperorJon wrote:I agree with some of the stuff posted above, this is most likely caused by your computer not being powerful enough to run the game 10x faster than usual. If the game is sometimes slow or very laggy at normal speed, then this is obviously your problem, if not, I would bring this issue up in tech support.
Oh ok thanks.

I found out it runs a lot better at 800% seta, stuff still moves and nothing freezes anymore ;)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 19. Apr 09, 13:08

Out of curiosity,how much graphics memory do you have?

I'm running on 256MB and although it is slow,I only occasionally have this problem.

I leave it on overnight for my crystal recycling guy at the hub.

...gotta keep him happy,lord knows what he'll get me to do otherwise :lol:

sndle9
x4

Post by sndle9 » Sun, 19. Apr 09, 14:04

I think the processor load affects SETA more than graphics.

I find that on my 5 year old machine SETA x 5 is ok, SETA x 7 causes lots of ship losses and SETA x 10 pretty much locked everything up like described here.

My new system can handle SETA x 10 with no obvious problems but I'd rather script in the credits/wares and save my electricity bill if I don't have time to actually play the game.

Dave.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 19. Apr 09, 14:41

I see your point Dave,but some of us do not want the [MODIFIED] tag until we have completed the main mission plots and then some.

So the option is to use seta and lose rank,etc, or just take a lot longer to complete this type of mission.
Either way you still use electricity.The only real difference is sleeping instead of working on other factors of the game.

Leon

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”