Typhoon Missiles, what are they good for?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Typhoon Missiles, what are they good for?

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:33

I just added three typhoon missile fabs to my weapon complex because I needed them for a mission and I noticed that they are rather expensive.

Now I find that no-one buys them automatically. Thats ok, I can manually sell them, and at a pretty hefty price, but there must be a use for such expensive missiles.

Can anyone enlighten me?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

strikor
x3tc

Post by strikor » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:35

They're one of the best missiles in the game. They pack a decent punch and enemy turrets have a hard time shooting them down.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:44

Ah, thats good then. I'll have a go at using them. I assume then this means they would be good in an M7M?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

1muvwndr
xr

Post by 1muvwndr » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:46

They can turn a Hyperion in a mini M7M. Typhoons are the single most versatile missile in the game. 8 warheads, each dealing 30k damage and travelling at around 180m/s. I use them to kill anything from an M4 to M2s.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:46

What are Typhoons good for? They are pretty much good for... EVERYTHING.

You can sink with them every ship in this game that travels under 200 speed, including destroyers. I have three fabs myself. :-)

Thelic
x4

Post by Thelic » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:50

mrbadger wrote:Ah, thats good then. I'll have a go at using them. I assume then this means they would be good in an M7M?
M7Ms can't fire them, but just about every other ship you will fly can. They're great for fighter and corvette busting.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Tue, 5. May 09, 22:10

They're also rather good for angering stations you're supposed to protect.

For instance, on certain corporation defend station missions the "bad guys" arrive in-sector at about the same time you do and it's generally a good idea to knock out a good few of the fighters with missiles early on so that you can prevent the Ospreys getting in close or launching a gazillion Banshee missiles.

Typhoons seem like the ideal choice, they're reasonably fast, they swarm, they re-target and they pack quite a wallop. However, on the way to acquiring new targets they can also plough into the station you're supposed to be defending if the new target is too close - I've managed to turn a couple of stations red this way.

I've subsequently learnt to be a little more discriminate with my missile fire now - I carry 30 Tempests alongside the 200 Typhoons; Tempests are somewhat more accurate and while they're only single shot missiles rather than a swarm, they re-target nicely, are far less indiscriminate and still pack a decent punch.

Mind, I carry enough missiles on my Hype to ruin anyone's day:

200 Typhoons
50 Tornadoes
30 Tempests
30 Firestorms

Anything short of a pull blown sector patrol is a cakewalk ;)
[ external image ]

... old skool

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 5. May 09, 22:28

I have never seen a Typhoon re-target, so I'm quite sure they can't. And I've fired 10.000+ of them.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 5. May 09, 22:31

Allan F is correct. They aren't retargeting, they're just going dumbfire. And whatever way they're pointed when that happens, they go. If something's in the way, it gets hit.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Tue, 5. May 09, 22:50

lolz - THAT explains the station hits then :D

I thought they were Swarm/IR targetting! Maybe it's because I just fill the sky with the damned things that it looks like they're retargetting because there are so many of them out there.
[ external image ]

... old skool

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 5. May 09, 23:02

I've fired 10.000+ of them
Nice.

Doc Quixotic

Post by Doc Quixotic » Wed, 6. May 09, 10:31

Do typhoons have the same 'Short Range Shotgun' effect that Wasps have?
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via

natha
x4

Post by natha » Wed, 6. May 09, 10:35

No. i never seen them do that (even wasps do it under 1km) i believe they go circling towards the target. Don't forget you need to be in a M6 to fire them so no need to close at 1km when you can fore from 70km.
Spoiler
Show
medusa prototype is the only M3 that can mount them
Either way, tornados is better in roles like that even if they don't track.

Snowship
x3tc

Post by Snowship » Thu, 7. May 09, 01:27

Chealec wrote:snip
For instance, on certain corporation defend station missions the "bad guys" arrive in-sector at about the same time you do and it's generally a good idea to knock out a good few of the fighters with missiles early on so that you can prevent the Ospreys getting in close or launching a gazillion Banshee missiles.
snip
I good tip is to start the jump sequence and wait til the 5 second mark to comm the station, then select the options at 1 second intervals and you'll accept the mission and be jumped away before the enermies spawn.
Thus you'll be at the nearest gate FAA ready when those fighters spawn and the 1st M6 crash's into your butt :wink:
[ external image ]
Vanilla Malt Gamestarts
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire"

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Thu, 7. May 09, 16:29

Chealec wrote:They're also rather good for angering stations you're supposed to protect.... snipped
After a very challenging battle, i killed the last ship and was counting my booty when I am commed by two stations 10 minutes later, from almost 40km away "we have dispatched our fighters and they are going to kill you....." having turned red of course after a few stray typhoons hit them.

But they are totally my fave missiles. On really heavy shielded targets I like to let loose a few Hammerheads mixed in with the Typhoons - they have a better chance of a hit due to enemy focusing on trying to shoot down the T's.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 7. May 09, 16:46

I had same trouble with Tempests, Flails and many other missiles. It's not Typhoon's fault.

Actually I don't think it's a problem with missiles at all. It's a problem with stations. They take MINOR friendly fire and they go all nuts about it. They should have much bigger pain threshold in my opinion.

How many Hammers do you have to fire at him before an M2 comes chasing you? They go nuts after 8th or so which amounts to 2GJ of damage. A station goes nuts after a few mosquitos and an accidental EBC round.

This is something to improve in the game.

1muvwndr
xr

Post by 1muvwndr » Thu, 7. May 09, 20:23

ThommoHawk wrote: After a very challenging battle, i killed the last ship and was counting my booty when I am commed by two stations 10 minutes later, from almost 40km away "we have dispatched our fighters and they are going to kill you....." having turned red of course after a few stray typhoons hit them.
A missile that randomly chooses a direction sfter losing its target and actually hitting something after travelling 40km? Do you realize of how high the odds of this happening are?
I think you should be happy just as if you have won the lottery in X3R.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Thu, 7. May 09, 21:18

OP wrote:Typhoon Missiles, what are they good for?
This week, I'll be mostly killing everything Kha'ak with mine.

Next week, when all the missions that interest me are completed, I'll be mostly killing everything.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”