[X3TC] Creating a new ship based on existing one

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

desmond5

[X3TC] Creating a new ship based on existing one

Post by desmond5 » Wed, 6. May 09, 15:34

Hello,

I wish to create a new ship based on already existing one, namly, I wish to have my own version of Argon Heavy Centaur, named something different.

As I have no experience in modding, I read some articles, and this is what I have come up with so far:

1) Extract TShips from the latest CAT in TC dir.
2) Find Argon Heavy Centaur record (SS_SH_A_M6M).
3) Copy and paste it to the end of the file and modify it (new stats and new identifier, e.g. SS_SH_A_M6MM, and also modify the record count at the start of the file)

.. but what now ? Is that all I need to do ?

P.S. Is there a modded version of Heavy Centaur available for TC that adds a fighter docking slot to Heavy Centaur ?

Best wishes,
Des

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 6. May 09, 15:56

Adding the new ship is fairly straightforward.

Tip: Use Doubleshadow's editor, it'll make things a lot easier than doing it manually in notepad.

When in the editor:

1. Copy the existing ship you want to replicate/alter.
2. Make sure "sorted" is *unchecked*, scroll to the bottom, "paste"
3. When the pop-up asks yes to insert before, or no to insert after, click "NO".
4. Save the new Tships (hint: it's better to save a new copy, than muck up the original). You can either save in a new cat, or drop the altered Tships in a "types" subfolder within the main TC install directory.
5. Exit the editor.

Now you can re-open the new tships in the editor, and make the changes you want.

As for the fighter docking, that's a bit more involved, as you have to physically change the ship's scene file and add the docking part, via gmax/3dsmax.

When I make new ships, based off old ones, I usually just add a different variant to it, rather than a completely new name. It's a preference. I like Betty saying the name. For instance, I have a Skiron Prototype in my game.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Wed, 6. May 09, 16:00

You obviously did some research before asking, so I'm gonna tell you before moderators will refer you to the stiskies ;)

Get X3 Editor - you will have to use this old one - it has Copy & Paste
Get X3ModManager.

Read how to make a mod.

To rename the ship, you will also need to alter the text resource files - the xml's.

Here's a brief info about the text resource files.

Ask again if needed...

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”