[TC] Ion disruptors and Boarding pods

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cygnetsong

Ion disruptors and Boarding pods

Post by cygnetsong » Wed, 13. May 09, 16:39

Seriously, there is no ship than can equip both of these (besides in the turrets)? If I were a ship designer, I would certainly make this happen. This would be the perfect boarding ship. All the ship design engineers must be smoking space weed.

fOSSil
x3tc

Post by fOSSil » Wed, 13. May 09, 16:49

There is ;).

And it gets better, you can't buy it anywhere :o! But it is aquireable ;).

Cheers,
fOSSil

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Wed, 13. May 09, 16:55

I think it only has a laser turret on rear, so quite complicated to do the job :wink:

And AFAIK, it can be bought when you gain certain rep with OTAS.

But anyways, M7M are designed as long range assault ships. Nobody wants to get too close to an M2 with an M7M

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 13. May 09, 16:57

The maximum range of an Ion Disruptor is about 1km. You really don't want to be getting that close to an enemy capital ship, and launching a Boarding Pod from that range might cause it to miss the ship entirely and go in circles trying to turn back to hit it! Therefore I really don't think you're missing anything by not having this capability, especially considering how long it takes for Ion Ds to drop a ship's shields.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 13. May 09, 17:11

I wouldn't use Ion Disruptors anyway - they fry your boarding crew.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Wed, 13. May 09, 17:15

I would use Ion Disruptors before launching marines, just in the case I want to fry some equipments before.

Bothersome
x3tc

Post by Bothersome » Wed, 13. May 09, 20:13

I was just given the keys to a "slightly used" Pirate Carack (sp?). I have not test drove it yet but it has twice the power generator of a Heavy Centaur and 2 gigs (If memory serves) of shields. Better turning and speed than a Heavy Centaur. It is my ship of choice so far for removing teeth.

I know that it takes two Ion Disruptors per turret on a Heavy Centaur to eventually pull the shields down all the way on a Xenon Q. I had used Ion Pulse Generators to do most of the work. But the power generators are too weak for my liking. So went shopping.

Anyone know any better combination of weapon generator plus speed plus turn rate that can use Ion Disruptors, please speak up.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

Flector
x4

Post by Flector » Wed, 13. May 09, 23:00

Bothersome wrote:Anyone know any better combination of weapon generator plus speed plus turn rate that can use Ion Disruptors, please speak up.
Either Carrack or Cerberus seem to be best for this, depending on you personal preferences.
X2: Advanced Magnate, Ace of Aces 1st grade ~ X3R: Master Economist, Crusader
X3TC: Magnate, X-TREME ~ X4F: Salesman, Harmless

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”