point singularity weapons your thoughts

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gosnell
x4

point singularity weapons your thoughts

Post by Gosnell » Thu, 28. May 09, 12:53

just wondering what ye folks think of point singularity projectors as weapons,i have been on the recieving end a few times and they seem deadly,any thoughts

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 28. May 09, 12:58

They are no match to Commonwealth weaponry like IonCs or PPCs. Their DPS is like half of what Commonwealth guns can pack.

Thank god ships that carry them are usually overshielded or they would be pretty much screwed in confrontation with Commonwealth ships.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Thu, 28. May 09, 13:01

oh i no there slow projectiles but my god i once got hit by a blast and it destroyed my skiron which was at half shields

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 28. May 09, 13:07

If you own a ship that has PSPs, you should man the turret yourself, aim carefully and charge all shots.

I spent hours in 1.3 charging salvos sitting inside the right turret of my Tokyo.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 28. May 09, 13:07

One single shot of PSP cause more damage than one of PPC, but that's not good enough against a capital ship. As delray says, damage per second of PSP is almost half of PPC

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Thu, 28. May 09, 13:09

my first encounter was with a j/k not sure ,packing 10 of them bye bye me :lol:

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 28. May 09, 13:15

umm.. that's good to know, it needs a re-balance.

--
GOSNELL wrote:oh i no there slow projectiles but my god i once got hit by a blast and it destroyed my skiron which was at half shields
Umm, that's odd I remember getting hit and not taking that much damage, maybe its CMOD that modified those values for my game.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 28. May 09, 13:18

If you want to see real firepower, buy/cap Boron Ray, load half IonC half PPC in your turrets left/right/front, set them to attack my target and go to Xenon Core 023.

Qs will be sinking before they can even see what hit them, Ks will go in flames even before they start shooting at you and Js... well, Js go down faster than drunken w****s.

Seriously, the king of destroyers isn't Tyr, it's Ray. And what's funny, you can load 100 or 200 Typhoons on it to increase your firepower even more.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 28. May 09, 13:30

I actually also equipped my Boreas with 50/50 Ion Cannons and PPC and it just causes mayhem. No other ship stands ground for long enough to do much to my shields.

The remarks regarding the PSP are interesting. I considered building a couple of fabs to make these toys and then equip a couple of destroyers. How do these ships do IS if you are not actually piloting them but use them as wingmen?

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Thu, 28. May 09, 14:45

Regarding the PSP itself: the first two shots (first 10 seconds of the engagement) it does actually match the PPC as far as damage over time is concerned. Only after that point in time does the PSP fall behind. The reasoning is as follows: t=0s, PSP fires first shot worth 250k of dmg, PPC fires with 50k dps; t=10s, PSP fires second shot, totalling 500k dmg, PPC keeps firing with 50k dps, at this point it has also reached 500k dmg. This all assumes that all shots from both guns actually hit. Conclusion being that a PSP matches or outdoes the PPC if the first two shots can eliminate your target, otherwise the PPC wins out.

Now, as for AI piloting your ships with PSP... let me say this - if they shoot at big stuff, they'll hit and they'll hurt. But in my experience, the PSP turrets of my AI-piloted Osaka tended to go after... M5 ships :roll: needless to say, PSP shots everywhere in the air, my own fleet getting hit... not pretty.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 28. May 09, 14:59

Olterin wrote:Regarding the PSP itself: the first two shots (first 10 seconds of the engagement) it does actually match the PPC as far as damage over time is concerned...
That's correct, and if you charge the first shot of PSP, the intial damage is even higher, needing probably 15 sec for the PPC to match it.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 28. May 09, 16:23

How about you compared charged PPC shots with charged PSP shots? :-)

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 28. May 09, 16:28

Yes, I was thinking on charged PPC too. The damage increase of charged shots are proportional to the uncharged damage

Frostynso

Post by Frostynso » Thu, 28. May 09, 20:17

DPS is meaningless with capital ships in this game. Engagements last less than 30 seconds as it is already, no matter which weapon you use. It's just a matter of playstyle.

If you want to sit back on the bridge and let your turrets do the work, use PPC.

If you want to sit in a turret firing charged shots (2 at most!) and fly the ship from a monitor, use PSP.

My biggest gripe with PSP is that they seem to do no damage out of sector.

Thanatos_23
x3tc

Post by Thanatos_23 » Fri, 29. May 09, 02:18

Ah, there is no better weapon than one that causes a miniature black hole on impact. :twisted:

One charged broadside from one of my Tyr's and I can destroy anything.....period
There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
EDwaggy:Sometimes the Argon just want to play in someone elses backyard. With guns. And missiles.

DaveyP
x3tc

Post by DaveyP » Fri, 29. May 09, 09:21

What's it like OOS?

Frostynso

Post by Frostynso » Fri, 29. May 09, 18:54

It just doesn't seem to do any damage out of sector. Somebody on here said it's because they are classified as a flak weapon, but I really don't know.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”