X3:TC-Praise to the M8

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

X3:TC-Praise to the M8

Post by BeidAmmikon » Fri, 29. May 09, 09:06

Yet another thread in this note (but then again, they're not too many so here it is.)
I've set up a small missile complex, so I benefit from a constant trickle of Tomahawks and HHTs. I bought 2 Split Vipers, loaded them with 204 missiles each and since then I've killed 2 Galleons, 1 Brigantine and 1 Khaak destroyer, by launching at most 32 missiles towards one ship.
I know that M7Ms are commendable in terms of bombing the helloutta anything and boarding ops, but now they seem to me like taking forever in destroying a big ship. With only 2 barrages of Tomahawks fired from an M8 one can get rid of one 4GJ+ shielded ship from about 40 Km distance. Each Tomahawk yields 625k of damage, so (2 barrages x 8 missiles/barrage)= 16x625k= 10 GJ= crippled or destroyed Commonwealth capital ship. Now, with the ATF ships is another story - at most, one ship would need 4-5 barrages but hey, when you have 200+ missiles onboard a single cowardly ship you can't complain...
I shall use M8s to get rid of capital ships in any sector and M7Ms solely for boarding purposes (the odd Flail to keep shields down excluded.) Pounding a capital ship with expensive (time-wise) HHTs seem now obsolete, after discovering the power of the M8, that are faster, smaller and more nimble ships. That said, see ya :)
Last edited by BeidAmmikon on Fri, 29. May 09, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Fri, 29. May 09, 09:13

Not sure if the change to the barrage command affects this but here goes anyway.

Try taking the M8 up against a khaak capital ship... while OOS!
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

fintoozler
x3tc

Post by fintoozler » Fri, 29. May 09, 09:38

Aro wrote:Not sure if the change to the barrage command affects this but here goes anyway.

Try taking the M8 up against a khaak capital ship... while OOS!
I remember trying it IS once with my Aquilo against a Kha'ak destroyer and all the missiles just impacted on it's hull without doing any damage, I reloaded and repeated the exercise with the same result.

MadGizmo
xr

Post by MadGizmo » Fri, 29. May 09, 11:28

Don't use flails for a Kha'ak destroyer. Flails are just for decoy or to get rid of the small stuff. But the Kha'ak destroyer is gone in no time after some Hammer Heavy Torpedoes.

fintoozler
x3tc

Post by fintoozler » Fri, 29. May 09, 12:49

That WAS with hammers. I don't know what was wrong but that destroyer was immune to them for some reason.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 29. May 09, 13:27

The Khaak are very good at destroying missiles, that's why you always need to fire double the amount thats needed to destroy them. :roll: Also M7Ms don't do to well in OOS battles.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 30. May 09, 00:52

An M8 is fine if all you want to do is kill the capital ships. But if you're wanting to clear an enemy sector, the M7M is the ship of choice, since it can kill off both the capitals and the fighters. True, Tomahawks are generally superior to Hammer HT's but the M8 is a one-trick pony. Once you can afford an M7M, the M8 is mostly obsolete.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Sat, 30. May 09, 02:21

Nanook has a point... Fighters are too quick for the slow-moving, slow-turning tomahawks. Against anything bigger than M6s, M8s are great. But against anything smaller, I prefer my M7M. However, the Tomahawks just have awesome explosion graphics compared to HHTs :D always nice to launch a load of them on a Xenon station from far away and then see globes of light illuminate it before the final kaboum.

thiosk
x3tc

Post by thiosk » Sat, 30. May 09, 03:32

missile frigates, heavy bombers--

both do nice jobs at what they do.

but the kraken... well...

Warning: Contains some language
Fear the dreaded carousel beast!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”