M7 gunnery - is it time to grow up?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jimsjimsjims

M7 gunnery - is it time to grow up?

Post by jimsjimsjims » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 07:00

So, I've moved up to a thresher to keep up with my current mission requirements that include m7 and m2 targets and I'm having trouble adjusting. I have tried cigs and ppc and whether its the slowness of the projectile or the distance between the main gun hardpoints, I'm having a tough time hitting anything smaller that an m7 (even m7's are tough if I'm using strafe drive). My question is: is there an easier main gun equipped m7 to learn on than a thresher, one with more condensed hardpoints for instance, or should I give up on manual targetting and go with something like a dragon? :?:

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 07:51

The Shrike has all front guns condensed indeed. Just outfit it with EBC and HEPTs or CIGs and watch the stream of bolts converge toward a Blastclaw :twisted: I don't know about other M7s, as the Thresher and Shrike are the only ones I've tried so far, but the PPC bolts from the Thresher end up flying on a "scissors" pattern indeed...
Last edited by BeidAmmikon on Tue, 2. Jun 09, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

JrK
x3tc

Post by JrK » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 10:30

Don't try to hit stuff smaller than an M7 with PPC. Use a)CIGs EBCs or PRGs or b)let your turrets deal with the smaller stuff.
God is in the rain.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 10:30

The trick with the Thresher PPC is to get the target to fly towards u. That's usually not a problem since enemies tend to focus on you rather than AI.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 10:57

The trick with the Thresher PPC is to get the target to fly towards u.
Basically the trick of all frigates with frontguns...
The speed of the ship is added to the projectile and the enemy flys towards the projectile wich results to in a greater range

PPC=333m/s + Tresher 111m/s + slow target 50m/s = 494m/s
New Range: 9,82Km

IBL=312m/s + Tiger 121m/s + Xenon Q ~100m/s = 533m/s
New Range: 8,78Km

Betty won't say that you are in firing range because she doesn't calculate it for you :wink:
But don't turn away if laserenergy is low, because the target follows you and the projectiles may not hit if the targt changes course [/quote]
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 14:12

Killjaeden wrote:PPC=333m/s + Tresher 111m/s + slow target 50m/s = 494m/s
New Range: 9,82Km
U're getting this range from the bullet lifetime of the PPC yes? Weird cuz I've noticed PPC rounds hitting only after around 7.5KM at point of firing.

JrK
x3tc

Post by JrK » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 16:14

Probably because he uses the shooting ships' speed. As far as I know, the projectile speed is independent from the ship shooting it, therefor the shooting ship's speed does not factor in.

Why oh why does this remind me of special relativity... :paranid:
God is in the rain.

Bothersome
x3tc

Post by Bothersome » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 16:21

One way we could test this theory is to get in a ship firing something slow on main guns (must be guns, not turrets). Then come to all-stop. Strafe to the left or right and hold. While strafing, fire main guns and watch path of projectiles. If strafing left, and projectiles stay in front of you without veering right, then ship speed is added to projectile speed. If it veers, then it is not.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 16:46

Another way would be to stop, start firing gun #1 and then start flying again and shoot gun #2 to see if projectiles of gun #2 are faster than gun #1 projectiles.

All assuming gun #2 projectiles fly slower than gun #1 projectiles.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 16:58

JrK wrote:Probably because he uses the shooting ships' speed. As far as I know, the projectile speed is independent from the ship shooting it, therefor the shooting ship's speed does not factor in.
No. Lasers are not independant. Missiles are.
Why oh why does this remind me of special relativity... :paranid:
Because it's relatively hard to understand for some people? =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 17:20

You can see it with your own eyes...
Just fire HEPTs with a Mamba Raider at 0m/s and then booststart and fire again... the HEPTs fired later will be visibly faster then the other ones...
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 19:18

the threshers are designed to take on m7's and bigger the main guns are pretty useless at anything small(ish).

back when the hammerhead (its first name) was built for xtm there were a fair few posts about how the main guns would miss m6 and smaller especially the closer you got due to how wide the battery is spread across the wings. The main weapon loadout is massively more spread out then just about any other ship considering the hammerhead is wider then most cap ships. it leaves a limited optimal area to fire and hit. personally if the tagrte is within 1.5k i nose down and try to get the top turret to get the kill.

the devs (the now MIA mox etc.) pointed out that this could just be a design feature as the hammerhead was well layed out to be a cap ship killer.
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 19:32

I always seem to end up filling my M7 ships with HEPTs in every turret. Those that can hold the PPC tend, I find, to wipe out available power so fast when taking on big ships that the lighter guns on board can't fire fast enough to kill any fighters. That usually means that I kill the other big ships, but die at the hands of fighters.

Its not so good when taking on other M7s though, although I can just about manage it if I add missiles to the mix.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”