Ion / Tracker / Squash / AM mines : X3TC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

EphemeralDeception

Ion / Tracker / Squash / AM mines : X3TC

Post by EphemeralDeception » Thu, 4. Jun 09, 12:04

Is there any guides for using these mines? There are a few threads on squash mines but these seem to be the least useful with no friend foe ability.

Do they work OOS? I see little use (except kamikaze) unless they do work OOS :)

I was thinking of placing mines for sector / complex defence since OOS combat is bugged. I have spare boron food unused in a complex so would probably build an ION Mine Fab unless there is a better option?

Anyone using mine fabs - which type and why?

What about Antimatter mines? No player factory but maybe they are worth buying. I have ships sitting in stations buying antimatter ammo anyway...

P.S. I assume the ION Mine producing tracker bug is now fixed?
Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 4. Jun 09, 12:07

AFAIK, all mines in TC do exactly the same thing.
Only the name (and maybe price) differs.

I haven't tested explosive radius and damage on them, yet, but ion mines certainly do destroy hull.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

4d
x3tc

Post by 4d » Thu, 4. Jun 09, 16:47

Gazz wrote:AFAIK, all mines in TC do exactly the same thing.
Only the name (and maybe price) differs.

I haven't tested explosive radius and damage on them, yet, but ion mines certainly do destroy hull.
That's... a massive disapointment. I, too, was looking into mines for OOS defense.
Priming Your PC For X2 Guide:
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68241

Getting Started With Capturing Guide (X2)
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68718

MadGizmo
xr

Post by MadGizmo » Thu, 4. Jun 09, 18:52

Maybe a great scripter can make them work like intended.

*Looks at Gazz*

;)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 4. Jun 09, 20:21

The problem is that smart mines are insanely powerful.

The TRACKER minefield script from Reunion would not let a single fighter pass. Not a chance.
And AI ships have no way of detecting a minefield, going around it, clearing it... ya see?

A fool proof sector defense (against fighters). Just add mines. Unless the AI is allowed to lay minefields as well (and blow up all your freighters), this would be way overpowered.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Frostynso

Post by Frostynso » Thu, 4. Jun 09, 20:27

Mines are great for pirating too! Put one in front of a jumpgate and pick up the leftover cargo. :D Sometimes the ships will even bail!

EphemeralDeception

Post by EphemeralDeception » Fri, 5. Jun 09, 04:15

A fool proof sector defense (against fighters). Just add mines.
Isn't that the same for laser towers except laser towers can be used multiple times? Looks like spamming laser towers is best Q defence then.

No matter the pros/cons of smart verses indiscriminate mines, I really do not see the point of multiple mines that all do the same thing, just different names.

Thats a good idea on the piracy though...might give it a go.
Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.

TiltonJH
x4

Re: Ion / Tracker / Squash / AM mines : X3TC

Post by TiltonJH » Tue, 23. Jun 09, 22:45

EphemeralDeception wrote: P.S. I assume the ION Mine producing tracker bug is now fixed?
Anyone knows the answer to that??

I do have a Tracker-Mine-Factory, which produces Ion-Mines... :evil:
and there r no Tracker-Mines anywhere to be found in my universe.

I use X3TC 2.1, so I guess it is not fixed. Is this known will be worked on or anything?

c ya Tilton

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Tue, 23. Jun 09, 22:56

I have X3tc 2.1 (never used a mod/script) and the ION fabs make trackers while the tracker fabs are making IONs...no, it is not fixed

TiltonJH
x4

Post by TiltonJH » Wed, 24. Jun 09, 21:23

ion-fabs produce trackerc? cool, need to get me one of those as well. there is a huge market for it. :D

it seems like a very simple bug and easy to repair, so the question remains: why then isn't it fix yet??

Grishnak

Post by Grishnak » Wed, 24. Jun 09, 22:53

TilronJH wrote:ion-fabs produce trackerc? cool, need to get me one of those as well. there is a huge market for it. :D

it seems like a very simple bug and easy to repair, so the question remains: why then isn't it fix yet??
Probably because: A.) They dont know about it. And/or B.) There isnt enough bugs that they know about to fix/have fixed to release a patch. Or C.) They are waiting for a content patch? (Bonus pack mebey)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 24. Jun 09, 22:57

Or
D) it doesn't really matter because all mines do the same thing anyway. =)

yelgrun
x3tc

Post by yelgrun » Wed, 24. Jun 09, 23:25

Build 3 different type of mines factories, stock up all in a M1 or M2, jump into Xenon or Khaak sectors, start dumping mines around. If you get some hostile capital ships following you, then that makes it easier to put mines into test to see how many it takes to take them down.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”