The Hornet Missile

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pyre
x3ap

The Hornet Missile

Post by Pyre » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 10:23

While these things are nicknamed 'Station/factory' killers, they dont seem quite effective against ships ( besides their absurdly slow speed)
On a head to head with a Xenon L in BHS, my Hornet missile did about 1/4 shield strength damage to the L.
A Silkworm, or Dragonfly wouldve done much more damage, so it got me wondering, do missiles have seperate damage against fighters and Capital ships/stations?

Thanks in avdnace :)

DevWar
x2

Post by DevWar » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 10:35

I dont think there is any difference. I unloaded 25 Hornets against a pirate base along with with everything else my Nova could throw at it and it shields only went down to 1/4 and couldnt reduce the shields any more. The damage done to the station was really quite perfetic for each Hornet.

:twisted: DevWar :twisted:
Some days you just have to accept your the pigeon and other days your the statue.

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 11:09

Hornets do 50mw of shield damge to a ship

they used to be good station killers but are way too costly at around 200k to pull it off.

The main purpose of the hornet in x2 is that YOU don't dont to be hit by one ;)

They are also the only missile capable of destroying roids
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Pyre
x3ap

Post by Pyre » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 01:48

hahah considering their speed, it shouldnt be very hard to dodge em :)
besides, the AI is too busy trying to ram me to shoot :P

Cheers!
:D

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 01:54

The only good thing about Hornets is selling them for 10K a pop ...

They do make a deadly combination if you use Ion Cannons and them against pirate bases

But its a lot faster and potentially cheaper in the long run to get a Centaur with 2 Beta and 2 Gamma HEPTS ... takes me about 5 minutes to take down a pirate base with that ... not tried a Pirate Chaos Station yet though ...
Semper Pugno, semper Vinci.

DevWar
x2

Post by DevWar » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 02:48

Ive resigned myself to just selling missiles. The only missile i keep are the small Mosquito (I dont think i spelled that right) missiles cos they are fast and are useful for getting a ships attention if you are not able to catch up to it before it leaves the system :)

:twisted: DevWar :twisted:
Some days you just have to accept your the pigeon and other days your the statue.

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 04:59

Wasps are pretty good. They're fast and agile enough to take M5's on the wing. The rest pretty much suck. I put up a poll in the tech support forum asking for missiles to be made faster, but iirc only about 30 people bothered to vote. Blah.
Patient of the Mad Goner asylum for the mentally extravagant

oolon
x3tc

Post by oolon » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 05:03

I doubt many people read it there most people don't go there unless they have a problem with running the game rather than features of the game, re-run your poll in this forum.

James

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 05:06

Hornets are good killers, once shields are down.

It takes approximately 5 Hornets to destroy a base once shields are COMPLETELY depleted.

Simply drain em with Ions (or HEPTs if you're masochistic) then make sure you're within 1km and hit the "L" key 5 times, with a short pause between presses.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM... KABOOM!

Fin :lol:

wormer311
x2

Post by wormer311 » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 07:43

Hornets are deff overkill for attacking ships.....I find the easiest way to destroy m3's is to kill their shields with ions then shoot a missle or two depending on what ya got.....BOOM! :D
P4 2.4 oc'd @2.9 - 1024 DDR - Geforce3 Ti200 - WINXP Pro
[ external image ]

General Drax
x2

Post by General Drax » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 09:04

'Cause the broken Ion Cannons. Missiles are only useful to speed up my economy as merchandise. Nothing more.

All weapons (almost ... maybe) need to be re-balanced.
"Ex Tenebris oritur lux"

Pyre
x3ap

Post by Pyre » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 12:26

just as i thought then, shields reduce the damage done by Hornets...
im going to try and wipe out an Anarchy port with them...in a Nova :P

Wish me luck :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”