Tornado Missiles???

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bazthebad
x3ap

Tornado Missiles???

Post by bazthebad » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 12:39

I have just aquired the Xperimental Shuttle and one of the missile types is a Tornado but ive never seen these for sale anywhere.

Do they even exist or are they just made up?

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 12:41

Spoiler
Show
Split produce these... I think I bought a factory and put it in my complex just to generate profitzzz...

mattjenko
x3

Post by mattjenko » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 12:48

Just wait till you fire one :)
Spoiler
Show
It is a multiple warhead missile, and all in a straight line, and do significant damage, so are for taking on capital ships. Charge at your enemy, strafe a bit and launch a few of these, all when pointing at your target. It will not have a chance to shoot them all down, unless PSG/Ion Distruptor enabled and it will do some serious damage. All in all, quite a satisfying missile in the right circumstances.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 13:13

Imagine a Submarine launching torpedos at another ship... that's what Tornado is basically, 8 damn strong warheads launched quickly one after another heading at straight line in the direction you specified.

A must-have for beating up big ships from a fighter.
Where is it?

bazthebad
x3ap

Post by bazthebad » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 13:29

Brilliant, happy with that, thanks for your help everyone

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 13:40

It's probably the only worthwhile Dumbfire missile in this whole game...
Where is it?

Apollo303
x3tc

Post by Apollo303 » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 14:38

Ahh one of my favorites... most of my ships carry Tornado`s :D

Considering it has a 50k payload (dmg p/warhead) and has a range of 24.9km, these missiles really do rock, and to top it off they are type : swarm. Pack plenty and go hammer a few corvette`s and frigate`s.

You can purchase/build Tornado Missile Factories from the Split at the following location`s :-
Spoiler
Show
Split shipyard - Zyarth`s Dominion
Split shipyard - Rhonkar`s Trial
Split shipyard - Patriarch`s Conclusion

All the above are Super Shipyards.
Hope this helps and good luck aquieing them !! :)
Who am i ? I am but the sum of my experiences....
And today i am more than i was yesterday and less than i will be tomorrow.

Imagination is a part of Reality we all agree on !!

bazthebad
x3ap

Post by bazthebad » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 14:40

Nice one, you are the man

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sun, 14. Jun 09, 17:34

You just have to play it smart.

The easiest way is to make an M7 (or whatever) follow you. After he's behind you and chasing you he has like no missile defence whatsoever.

That's when you stop your engines, turn around, aim right at his face... and ZING ZING ZING ZING ZING ZING ZING ZING launch all you have (one ZING per warhead, I love the sound of Tornado btw). A string of your warheads fly right into his face and make him go boom.

Bye bye Q. My Nova is so much tougher.
Where is it?

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 15. Jun 09, 11:28

Apollo303 wrote:Considering it has a 50k payload (dmg p/warhead) and has a range of 24.9km...
Range means nothing for a dumbfire missile. You always fire them at point blank, so a range of 2Km would be more than enough.

Apollo303
x3tc

Post by Apollo303 » Mon, 15. Jun 09, 12:13

vbruzual wrote:
Apollo303 wrote:Considering it has a 50k payload (dmg p/warhead) and has a range of 24.9km...
Range means nothing for a dumbfire missile. You always fire them at point blank, so a range of 2Km would be more than enough.
Yes i know they are dumbfire but they also have proximity detonation, which means they will explode as soon as something gets within range i.e its target. However if there is no target it will fly upto its specified range and then detonate.

Besides some people like to see weapon, missile and ship stats, that way they get all the information they require and then know how to proceed with thier game. :)

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 15. Jun 09, 13:08

Apollo303 wrote:Yes i know they are dumbfire but they also have proximity detonation, which means they will explode as soon as something gets within range i.e its target. However if there is no target it will fly upto its specified range and then detonate.

Besides some people like to see weapon, missile and ship stats, that way they get all the information they require and then know how to proceed with thier game. :)
Agree, stats are important, but some stats are more important than others for each device. Range is not important for tornados, but speed is (312 m/s) which means it can get short range target before it's able to move.

But trying to hit something moving farther than 10Km would be funny. :wink:

Apollo303
x3tc

Post by Apollo303 » Mon, 15. Jun 09, 13:24

Actually with a missile type having proximity detonation i would`nt have thought speed was relevant, as no matter how slow or fast the target is, that missile is just going to detonate as soon as something is in its detonation range. Or is that where the dumbfire element comes into it ?!?

But yes i do agree that speed etc is important, but if i know my target is going to make a break for it i fire a torp at the nearest structure to my targets flightpath and take him out with the radius of the exploding torp, a qucik "im sorry that was an accident :oops: " and all is well and my target, thinking he was smarter than me, is now nothing more than space dust !! :twisted:

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 15. Jun 09, 13:47

Apollo303 wrote:Actually with a missile type having proximity detonation i would`nt have thought speed was relevant, as no matter how slow or fast the target is, that missile is just going to detonate as soon as something is in its detonation range...
Sure, but (and I haven't tested it) I'm sure that the detonation range is not more than a dozen of meters, so being in that range for a moving targets farther than 10Km it's almost impossible.

And I think you are mixing two concepts here. One thing is the detonation range (the missile detects proximity and goes boom) and another thing is the blast damage range, which is is very high for the hammerhead and firestorm (about 1Km), but not too high for the tornado

Apollo303
x3tc

Post by Apollo303 » Mon, 15. Jun 09, 20:11

Well that said and done, i don`t know of any ship that can do 10km or faster (10km = 10,000 m/s) even with the cheats enabled and you hit the turbo boost or whatever its called..... :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”