Idea for a new game: no strafe [x3tc but it dont really matter]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JrK
x3tc

Idea for a new game: no strafe [x3tc but it dont really matter]

Post by JrK » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 10:28

So here I was thinking what could I possibly do to amaze everyone...

No wait... I was thinking what I could do to make the combat a little more exciting. And then it struck me that maybe I should even out the playing field. AI's don't strafe, so why should I? It would be easy to prevent me from using strafe: just set the strafe controls to nothing. Also, really cool combat spacesims like X-Wing alliance and Freespace2 never had anything like strafe.

Here's where I'm thinking that due to this capship manouvering suddenly becomes a heck of a lot more important. You can't just strafe to avoid incoming fire, you need to bank and steer. This is also going to heavily increase the amount your broadsides will be firing as it suddenly will become interesting to move perpendicular to your target, while changing pitch up and down to avoid fire. Here's me thinking that Tyr with its 12 broadsides will suddenly become a heck more interesting. :D

So will this be doable? Will it provide a decent challenge? I bet it is a cool rule for DiD games... :D
God is in the rain.

DeadlyDarkness
x3tc

Post by DeadlyDarkness » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 10:46

will be easy to do, unbinding your strafe keys would be a good start :p

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 10:56

The odds will be more realistic and balanced without question. But I think at least it will mean less fight with more trade and runaway and missiles.

The next step toward realism is to pay docking fees and income-tax and sales tax, maybe :idea:

jimmynuts

Post by jimmynuts » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 11:03

Great idea for lots of veteren players who need that extra challenge
OR reduce the speed of the strafe eg its around 30-50 m/s - howabout 1-5 m/s! makes it far less useful in combat

The taxing system/docking fee/maintanence fee for up keep of ships/marine wages etc would be fab for players with lots of credits - automatic debit of the wages and the player has to ensure they have a steady income stream

peace

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 12:22

types\Globals.txt has a setting:

SG_MAXSTRAFEFACTOR_SMALLSHIP;49152;
SG_MAXSTRAFEFACTOR_BIGSHIP;26214;

You can try limiting that instead of completely taking it out.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

JrK
x3tc

Post by JrK » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 13:23

I'm pretty sure even a slow strafe make a difference in especially fighter to capship combat. That's why I concidered taking strafe out completely. As soon as I start a new game I'm going to give a review.
God is in the rain.

Bubbinska
x3tc

Post by Bubbinska » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 13:39

Gazz - does this mean a small mod could be produced that balances ship strafe speeds based on their size? I love strafing around in m6 and below but once you jump in the bigger ships it just feels too broken. Am I to understand that there are already separate variables for the strafe speed? That's it, I'm gonna bury my head in some modding tutorials.

JrK
x3tc

Post by JrK » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 20:24

First test went along nicely. I got hit a lot more, though that has mostly been by Xenon N, so nothing really hard-hitting. Took care of some Xenon P's just fine without hiding in their blind spots. I'll have to do some more combat runs where I'm getting threatened though.
God is in the rain.

Skite
x4

Post by Skite » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 20:27

Didcha fight something big yet?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 21:33

Ever since X2,where I started,I have only tried Strafe once when I read a lot of threads on it.I guess it can be useful when taking on something much bigger than you with more fire power,but my games are non-strafe.Probably why I find FF missions quite tough.

JrK
x3tc

Post by JrK » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 22:33

Skite wrote:Didcha fight something big yet?
The P was relatively big but the question is ofcourse whether or not I've fought something with useful turret power. And the answer is not yet. Not something I'd normally do in a M3 unless it was a Q... With strafe drive... :paranid:

But this time I expect to be creamed when I try it.
God is in the rain.

X1000

Post by X1000 » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 22:48

My Sig Manuver use strafe. It goes:

Maxx Speed
Strafe Right and up
Pull Back

Perfect hit 'N' Run tactic.. Heheh.. Hit 'N' run.. hehehe...

The Iron Duke
x3tc

Post by The Iron Duke » Fri, 26. Jun 09, 23:11

Never got the hang of strafe. Never used it in any of the X games. Never have a problem.
Osprey in X2 (with Khaak M3s in support).
Springblossom in X3 TC. (Obviously using the heavy mob for anything serious).
"Young Man. You do not need strafe. Behave yourself!"
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me." (Sir Athur Wellesley, viewng the Connaught Rangers, eve of Waterloo.)

Skite
x4

Post by Skite » Sat, 27. Jun 09, 15:47

The Iron Duke wrote:Never got the hang of strafe. Never used it in any of the X games. Never have a problem.
Osprey in X2 (with Khaak M3s in support).
Springblossom in X3 TC. (Obviously using the heavy mob for anything serious).
"Young Man. You do not need strafe. Behave yourself!"
How do you effectively dodge incoming fire and still fire back at your target in that thing? It's so fast, yet steers like an american car, by the time you're in a position to shoot back, you need to either do a fly-over or turn around and try again.. Lest you can explain me what you do! :P

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 27. Jun 09, 17:12

I learned about strafe in x3 having successfully never used it in x2. Only really understood it after some capital combat.

Yep. You can dogfight without strafing.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”