Small TBullet.pck question

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Xadavus

Small TBullet.pck question

Post by Xadavus » Sat, 27. Jun 09, 08:19

Okay first of all please don't flame. I have read countless posts/forums/sites and getting no where regarding this very subject (yes I even used search).

2nd. No its not Audio or Codec issues, so please don't tell me to upgrade my computer or telling me about how to fix codec or check with DShow. Tested on 5 computers all same results with various different drivers and hardware.

If you are tired about this subject please stop reading this and leave.

As of many posts in various websites state that due to either high rate of fire and/or weapon impact on enemy ship slows down the FPS dramatically. So they suggest to modify TBullet/TLazer files.

Yes I am aware there are many good mods out there yet I have not found any mod just for this purpose. Okay so I try to mod it myself after several hours of digging through several posts and website and links. I got the X3 ModManager, found the TBullet file. Now everything from this point on is over my head.

"Simply alter the value or set to 0" Right... I admit I am no expert in modding or scripting. Though all I could find are very vague instructions.

So here are the questions I have.
A) Can you reduce the visual effect of various bullets/plasma without reducing the firing rate?

B) Can you remove or minimize the visual effect of bullet/plasma impact on object?

C) As one suggested to change the value to 0. Does that mean I won't see any bullet traces?

D) Can someone please give me an example or 2 of how to change what value (code below) without actually effecting the firing rate, delay, life, etc? Problem is I can't make heads or tail out of this 1 line other than the name of the bullet.

Example from Tbullet file from 8.cat
effects\weapons\bullet_PR_beta;0;0;0;0;-1;9001;1155;25;908;3938;257429;1;192;192;16;0.065;0.065;4;0;16;33;143;0;0;0;150;128;10000;25;1;0;10000;-100000;0;0;SS_BULLET_PR_BETA;

I really appreciate a good guide for this or at least a nice breakdown on this. "IF" there is such detailed guide, I be happy to look at the link you provide, perhaps I did miss it.

Thanks you for your time,

Xad

Xadavus

Post by Xadavus » Sat, 27. Jun 09, 22:54

Okay, someone helped me and I found the X3Editor 2.2.0.1.0

However there seems to be a problem. I have read in many forums and posts that reducing the bullet impact effect will improve FPS while shooting and hitting on object at close range.

Well I did reduce almost everything that had below 30 impact effect to 1. No change for me there, but then I tried 0 and the game crashes during loading sequence after selecting new mission or premade missions.

So, setting to 0 doesn't seem to work. Setting to 1 nothing changes as far as FPS goes. I also tried the Xtended Mod hoping it would improve quality but that didn't work either.

So anyone have suggestion or know where I can find Mod just for Tbullet impact effect?

Xad

Xadavus

Post by Xadavus » Sun, 28. Jun 09, 07:28

Okay, i did more digging and I am getting REALLY frustrated. :evil: :evil:

There are several posts that state that you just need to change value of Impact effect to 0 using the X3Editor.

Yet every time I do it, I get CTD, but when I put the back up files back in, I get no CTD. So either I am missing something somewhere or the several posts about "just change the value" are false.

For crying out loud, could someone please help me out here? Thank you for your time and effort. Tired of digging through 4 different sites of forum with just vague or lack of solution. Oh and stickies have done 0 help so far.

Xad

Xadavus

Post by Xadavus » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 03:48

*bump*

SecondAcc
x3tc

Post by SecondAcc » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 14:51

Try -1 instead of 0...

Xadavus

Post by Xadavus » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 05:39

This is what I did.

I opened 8.cat with X3 Editor 2.
Opened TBullet.pck.
Changed Imact effect to 1, 0 and -1 (tried all 3)
Changed impact sound to 1, 0 and -1. (tried all 3)
Saved the pck (replaced exsisting pck).
Closed X3 Editor 2.

Launched game, select mission and boom, CTD with Microsoft error pop up in middle of loading process. Now if I put the original 8.cat back in there everything works.

So, none of the value 1, 0 or -1 worked. Unless I missed a step somewhere.
I also tried by copying the 8.cat to 'mod' folder , rename it to 10.cat and modify there. Game still crashes just above mentioned.

I don't get it, if it is that simple then why does it crash when I modify it? Am I missing a step? Am I doing something wrong?

Xad

SecondAcc
x3tc

Post by SecondAcc » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 09:45

Xadavus wrote:This is what I did.

I opened 8.cat with X3 Editor 2.
Opened TBullet.pck.
Changed Imact effect to 1, 0 and -1 (tried all 3)
Changed impact sound to 1, 0 and -1. (tried all 3)
Saved the pck (replaced exsisting pck).
Closed X3 Editor 2.

Launched game, select mission and boom, CTD with Microsoft error pop up in middle of loading process. Now if I put the original 8.cat back in there everything works.

So, none of the value 1, 0 or -1 worked. Unless I missed a step somewhere.
I also tried by copying the 8.cat to 'mod' folder , rename it to 10.cat and modify there. Game still crashes just above mentioned.

I don't get it, if it is that simple then why does it crash when I modify it? Am I missing a step? Am I doing something wrong?

Xad
Well, it should work.

I changed "Impact Sound" (Offset 9) to 0, "Impact Effect" (Offset 20) to -1 and it works fine.

Btw, the value of "Impact Effect" is rather a "name" of the different effects
than an intensity or something else, that could be reduced. -1 means "no effect" in this case.

Xadavus

Post by Xadavus » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 11:11

Okay, I finally figured out whats wrong.

For some reason, anything I do, no matter changing value or even resetting the value with X3 Editor, it crashes the game. So, either it doesn't like when a while is modified in any shape or form or X3 Editor messes up with it to cause crash.

So now my question is, how can if fix this? Is because the date of the original file is different than from modified? Is it X3 Editor that is not functioning or is there something that I am not aware of?

I did the X3 Editor Update just to be on the safe side, but no update for TEditor needed.

BTW, thanks for trying to help.

Xad

SecondAcc
x3tc

Post by SecondAcc » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 14:19

Which version of the X3Editor do you use?
Above .15 ist for X3TC i think...

duke8202
x3

Post by duke8202 » Sat, 4. Jul 09, 12:38

I had the same problem. So, I copied the files, changed its name to 11new.* before using X3Editor. After I made the changes. I copied and pasted 11new.* back to the X3/Reunion directory. Here's the crazy thing...rename it back to 11.dat & etc. Works just fine. If I made the changes to 11.dat in the X3/Reunion directory, I get CTD during loading. Don't know why.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”