Humble Merchant DID

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Humble Merchant DID

Post by DrSysAdmin » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 17:20

***Additional Mods/Scripts Used***
Marauder 0.5
Fewer Enemy Missiles
Remove Small Asteriods (Frame Rate improvement)
Remove Civilian ships (Frame Rate improvement)
Nannite Hull Repair System
500K Comm System

***Rules***
No "freebie derelict ships"
No personal use of FIRING missiles (Can buy/loot/sell)
No storyline "exploits"
No personal use of capped Xenon ships
No "purchasing" hull repair - Nannite or DIY only

Other Rules may be added as game progresses

Due to experience playing - human nature dictates that some experience/knowledge will be used. Thus, storyline will assist in integrating "knowledge" into the narration.

Story follows in next post.
Last edited by DrSysAdmin on Mon, 29. Jun 09, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

X1000

Re: Humble Merchant DID

Post by X1000 » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 17:26

DrSysAdmin wrote:
No personal use of FIRING missiles (Can buy/loot/sell)
-----
No personal use of capped Xenon ships
quote]

No firing missiles!?!?!?! :!: :?:

Arnt cha being a bit harsh?

No usage of Xeanon ships... Duh! No cockpit! :wink:

Cant wait for the stroy.

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 19:14

My name is Tors, Family name Dtrelna, and I am now an independant merchant. For the first time in my 36 "Terran" years, I am my own boss. Now the success of failure of everything I do i- is solely on me. \

I spent the last 15 years in the Argon Space Merchant Guild. On becoming an adult, I parked away my Academy graduation gift from my parents, a brand new Discoverer, signed with the SMG, and a decade and a half later I had saved enough for a base model Mercury and a few thousand spare credits. I have learned alot in those years, and now its time to put it to use for my own profit.

**(Actual start in H's Nebula but a quick step south for story purposes.)**

I find myself in Argon Prime, having just purchased the Mercury I am sitting in. I pulled my old Discoverer out and - it being in pristine condition, promptly sold it. Still, I need more funds to upgrade this freighter and be able to buy enough to make trade runs reasonably profitable. The Argon Equipment Dock worker I dealt with looked at me like I was crazy when I offered to sell my 5MJ shield. Still, he bought it and the credits are enough for me to make some decent runs with.

First max out engine and rudder turning, as I don't want to spend more time running about than needed. Duplex Scanner is the only other thing for now. I would like to max out my cargo space - but the cost is way too high - for now. Undock and make a trip around the sector, using the gates for reference points. This makes sure all the stations in the sector are showing on this rather blank navigator I currently have. Quick scan of each for "info" shows a decided lack of power in the sector currently. Well, thats a good hint on a couple of trade runs until the factories are able to produce some goods. Then I will look into Ore, as the profit margin is much higher.

Having made runs throughout the universe, I know the closest source of "cheap" power is Power Circle, so I head there and load up - 13Cr a pop and I can hold a full 3k. Back through H's Nebula and I see that the ore mines are also low on power. Grrrr - means I may have to run more e-cells than I care for. Still, 3 trips back and forth from PC to Argon Prime and I make 18k per run. PC is starting to raise its e-cell prices - so I duck into The Hole for a couple of runs. Prices are even better at 12cr - and I sell at 19 in H's Nebula. Ok - 5 runs - and I am already 32k to the good. Still, thats a drop in the bucket. But, now an Ore mine is starting to crank away. I check and see a deal on Rimes - grab what I can afford and head into Argon Prime. Ohhh - sell that deal for twice what I paid for it! I have nearly 100k now. Nothing worth buying I can afford in AP, so I head north again. The Ore mines seem to have found themselves some energy suppliers (thank goodness because I don't care for e-cell runs). A bit more time and some luck and they should be offloading ore for CHEAP.
I dock at a favorite hangout in H's Nebula - a distillery. A few years back I was on board when the captain decided on a little ... fuel run to a nearby pirate base.

That gives me an idea.... Perhaps a space fuel run? I am pretty sure that I can find that base, and once they know my cargo, they are sure to let me dock.... Sure its illegal - but I've learned how to avoid the cops when necessary. I check the prices - OUCH. Well there went that idea. I finish my drink and head back aboard ship. Undocking, I realize there is a competing distillery just a few klicks away. Pulling the info - jackpot! They are near overflowing! I dock with them and load 150 units. Now comes the hard part....

One thing I never liked was that station controllers would never allow you to see their own sensor data. I mean - cmon - I'm helping you move some illegal goods, least you could do is tell me if there is a blue light on your scopes! I sit in the docking clamp, looking around. Eyeball mk1 doesn't spot anything near me, but its rather limited. Until I undock I have done nothing illegal. Well, provided I dring 150 kegs and then sleep off the coma before I leave here. Deep breath, hit the release, and glance at the sensors. Nothing close - I hit the gas and rotate "up". This thing accelerates like cold molasses, but I am moving and gathering speed. I have to get a good 30k+ above the "elliptic". Done, and now I turn toward The Hole gate, aiming way "above" it. I notice a Argon Police Buster, but its not looking my way. Still, I target him and make sure I am headed away until he is outside my sensor range. I have to get a triplex scanner if I do more of these. I fly OVER the gate to The Hole, then turn back and enter the gate from behind. The authorities don't patrol outside where ships would normally be - so this keeps them from getting close.

I should note that I don't allow the "autopilot" do gate entries. I learned from all the captains I was assigned to, and every one was adamant. If you want to live, do it yourself. They all had that rule and one other - never enter a gate in the center unless your HUGE. Keep to the outer edges, as close as you dare. You are thrown out of the exit gate in the same spot roughly - so if your on the edge you won't be splattering yourself against that capital ship that is using the same gate. This also has the added benefit of being able to get "behind the gate" quickly for smuggling runs like this!

I go through, and on exit into The Hole I hit the gas and rotate toward the closest gate edge. In this case - thats to my right. I duck around the side of the gate and away from the center of the sector. After about 10k, I turn and move round the sector in a wide arc. As long as I am away from major traffic, I can circle safely and never get scanned. A long trek around and I am by the East gate. Again, I am behind it, and I head through into Atreus' Clouds. If memory serves, there is a pirate base around here - way East on the other side of the sector.

Thankfully, this is a pirate sector, so I don't have to worry so much about being scanned. What's not good is its just about the time I see a slew of red ships fairly close that I realize I'm driving an ice cream truck on skates - with absolutely no shields...... I duck behind the gate in the hopes that if they decide to fire at me, I can run through the gate in time to escape certain death. Amazingly they turn away and ignore me. Just to be sure, I turn away from them and run as fast as this ship will go - which isn't very fast. They don't turn back, so slowly I stop sweating as I circle around the sector. Once on the far side, I spot the pirate base and ask for docking. They accept, and I head in. Suddenly 4 ships are showing red on my scanner just as I am about to dock. My eyes widen as one turns toward me, but the docking signal dings and I suddenly collapse in my seat, knowing the station shields are now covering me. Looking into the eyes of death isn't doing my nerves much good... I need a drink of that spacefuel now!

The sale goes through with no hitch, and I again double the investment and then some. I am already over 200k, but now I have to get home. I just hope that pirate isn't waiting on me to undock. I get a room on station and tie on a real blast (after making sure the security seals are set on the Mercury). Having been part of smuggling runs before, I know the pirates are not really apt to kill you in your bed, contrary to popular tales. They know they need people to supply them, and killing your suppliers isn't conducive to getting your needed supplies.

A few hours later and I feel better. Showered and clean, with much more jingle in the bank, I head back to my hauler. I tried bribing the station manager for a peek at his sensors, but still nothing. Sheesh.

By now I am sure that thug is gone - sleeping in an M4 isn't all that comfortable. I undock and am ready to request a redock asap - but the scope is clear. I bank away and circle back (to avoid any patrolling pirates) toward the west gate. Head through and the relative safety of The Hole is nice to have. I check energy prices - low as usual - and stock up. I'm headed into the core anyway, might as well make a little money on it. In H's Nebula the Ecells sell well, though I save about 200. Space fuel again is cheap, but I don't fancy repeating that run for a while. At least until I have shields.... Ore is at 50cr though, so I stock up and head back into Argon Prime. Drop that load at 178cr - SWEET profit thats nice. I am a bit above 300k now. Time to visit Terracorp. South into Home of Light, make a few calls to some company reps I used to know, and end up swinging a jumpdrive for a little over 100k. Sure I'm down a full 3rd of my money - but this thing is speed and survival... or at least can be.

Now its time to open up the trading space a little, perhaps with a visit to the Boron and Paranid next........

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 20:15

For some - no missiles would make it alot harder. My style of play fits it really, since I rarely use them in any game. For me - missiles are money, and I don't care to go blowing up my enemies with wads of cash.

I may relax the no xenon rule if I get far enough to RE a xenon - would be able to design in a cockpit if I really want to. I dunno yet - lets see if I get that far.

Its only fair to warn my readers that I am looking at a very solid "trader" start before I being doing combat related stuff. In addition to hopefully being entertaining, it may also help some newer players learn what works and what doesn't.

Also - I personally have never done factories - but if anyone wants to give some basic advice/how to/ or link to same it would be appreciated.

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 22:36

Jumpdrive installed, and I splurged on a trading extension and best buy/best sell modules as well. It will make trading a bit easier, though the manual way works fine. Work smart, not hard I say!

I leave Terracorp and head west into Red Light. I look for the district entertainment - but find nothing. Probably best, as I don't need to blow the cash. Basically I do the run around the sector insuring I get all the stations showing, then head south into Cloudbase Southwest. Again circle around, then again south into Emperor Mines.

In the interest of full disclosure, its only fair to note the Paranid are not overly happy with me. Seems there was an incident in a bar on the Paranid trading dock in this system some time ago. I'm not shoot on site, or even wanted for a stint in some paranid cell, but I am on the wrong side of neutral with them. They call it being "unholy" - I just say they don't know how to party!

Best way to get on their good side is buy some stuff from them, and of course provide whatever resources their stations need as well. Problem is I won't be allowed to dock in core sectors. But the border sectors are a little more lenient, and I find a number of mines here with silicon and ore both at good prices, and having a need for energy. Now I just need to find customers for it all. One load of ore and I jump to Argon Prime - sure enough its needed. Sell that for profit, and a quick info check shows another load would likely go well here also. Nothing here I can get that will go well in the Mines, so I jump to power circle and stock up on Ecells again. Jump to Emporer mines, drop the ecells at an ore mine, and before I spend one credit - I am no longer "unholy". Sweet - that just opened up trade in Paranid core sectors. Another load of cheap ore, and I head west into Paranid Prime. Medium shield and Mobile Drilling factory both are paying well for it - I go with the shield fac. They won't sell me a 25mj shield though. Dangit - I wanted a couple of those. Soon enough. Besides - why can't the mobile drilling fac go drill for their own ore? Who cares - more money for me! I now make a few runs back and forth providing ore for profit. Energy is a bit low, so I head south into Empire's Edge and get a few runs of ecells to help production. All this trading and the Paranid are starting to like me again.

After meeting most of the needs in Paranid Prime, I make sure I have some Ecells and jump to Power Circle. Top off and head west into Three Worlds. Investigate the sector and then North into Kingdom End. First things first, I get a triplex scanner. Makes exploring sectors easier! Keeping an eye out for major opportunities, I sell 2700 ecells in Rolk's drift for 18cr, then make my way all the way through to CEO's Buckzoid.

Ahhh - the equipment dock has trade sftw mk 3 - but at half a Million thats going to have to wait a while. Besides, I will need another ship before I can have a ST. I grab all the software I can, even though some of it I won't use in this ship, its transferrable to whatever I drive later, and I won't have to go looking for it.

Teladianium foundry has some good prices, but they could get better. I dock, then undock and hit seta. I figure I can sit back and watch production go up and then scoop up cheap mud. It looks to be working great, until BAM! - I am thrown backward, then forward in my seat. What the heck was that? My hull is now at 82%, and I just bounced off the station! Some teladi guy is on my comms, but no ship is around. Looks like a really light SOMETHING tried to dock with my tug in the way, and smeared itself all over me. Great - that can't be good. I ask to dock and find I am told no.... what? Geez, they blame me for parking in the wrong spot, not the guy who is now a rather grotesque stain on my hull. Wonderful. They won't let me dock. Gonna have to find a way to get docking rights again..... For now, I find a safe spot and hop out with a welder. Its time to repair my hull, think and plan (and get some game time this evening!) so the story can continue....

X1000

Post by X1000 » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 07:26

On a side note, a Murcury is a TS not an M4 :)

QuitSmokin
x3tc

Post by QuitSmokin » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 09:25

He talked about the Pirate hanging around the station that was in an M4 :)

X1000

Post by X1000 » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 10:02

He also said it was not comforable sleepign in a M4. :)
(Back in part 1)

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 14:32

I meant the thug that almost shot me - he was in an M4 - I slept aboard the pirate station - he woulda had to sleep in his ship to be waiting on me. :)

X1000

Post by X1000 » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 18:04

No comment.... I have gotten over Mai DiD addicting.

I WANT MOAR!!!!!!!

Or not... :oops:

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 22:26

My repairs complete, I leave Teladi space with a rather disgruntled attitude. I will return later but I have other things to do first.

Through Boron space, a run of E-cells to Kingdom End and another from Power Circle to Emporer Mines. Swap Ecells for Ore, and into Paranid Prime to see if they have used up the supplies. They have, and the medium shield fac has a solid 187 for each - thats more than 3x my investment. Set course and Autopilot. As I close, I happen to hear some noise and glance up - DIVINE BOVINE - looks like I just autopiloted into a WAR! Quick disconnect, roll and dive away from whatever kind of tussle is going on. As I make my distance, scans show a couple of Argon M6's and a few fighters decided to have a go at a Paranid M2. Not smart. Especially since another M2 goes cruising right over my head toward the fray. I slow and turn, then stop to watch the finish of the carnage. A few minutes later, its over. The Paranid return to a patrol stance, and I set my course back through the area toward the sheild fac. As I do, I see some crates - almost a dozen. 8 are cargo - 3 are missiles. I don't have the room right now. As I make my drop, I am anxious to get back to the cargo pods. Undock and turn, they are still there.

I am drooling as I target the first of the missiles.... unreal that I could get this fortunate. 2 Hammerheads..... Both go into the hold and then I check the cargo pods - 4 are quantum tubes! This is almost 200k worth of stuff, for FREE! I grab all I can and then head to the equipment dock. By the time its all gone, I am sitting at around 600k. A bit more trading and I will be able to move to stage 2....

I feel brave - or foolhardy - one of the two. I grab some ecells in Empire's Edge, then jump to the west gate of H's nebula. Fuel is cheap again. Fill up, jump to the closest gate to the pirate station in Atreus's Clouds. No issues this time going in, and I sell what I have for a good profit. Some dough gone on a cargo life support pod, and a mineral scanner. Back out and a jump to Teladi Space. I am not ready for combat yet, but a different mission MIGHT work. No scan missions though, so I head back through Boron Space. Kingdom End shipyard has a passenger run - its a "hard" one - but its pay is over 30k - for a run to a Pirate base... in Power Circle???? I haven't seen a Pirate base there.... but hey, maybe the RNG Gods decided it was a good place for one. I pick up the passanger - and jump to Power Circle. There is the base, pretty as you please, and I dock without issue. I get a thank you and a deposit. Now to get back on the good side of the teladi.

I spend an hour crisscrossing Queen's space, Menalauis's frontier, and Rolk's fate. Finally I get a passenger mission - into teladi space. I sure hope they let me dock to drop the passenger off. The split fellow needs a lift to the teladianium mine that I played bumper cars with. Well, why not. I accept and jump to the sector. I run a quick test by requesting a slot at the Equipment dock, and get told no. Uh oh. I got a bad feeling - but the mud foundry apparently wants this split fellow bad - because they let me dock! The mud is expensive (as they weren't full up), but cleaning them out is enough to get me back to being a profit initiative 3% - just enough to be able to dock! SUCCESS!

4 T-mud runs via jump and I am closing in on a Million. A jump back into Argon Prime, and I dock at the Shipyard. Buy a Discoverer (this one isn't as nice as my old one, but it will work), and move some equipment over. Most of the software packages, the trading extension and the Triplex Scanner. Swap to the Disco, and order the Mercury to jump to Ceo's buckzoid. I hit the EQ dock and max my turn and rudder again, then go for a high speed cruise to Terracorp. Once there, my disco needs a jumpdrive, while I get Trade Sftw Mk3 (I really like how I can get it without having 1 or 2.....) and have it put in the Mercury zillions of miles away. I have the Mercury jump to Empires edge, dock and empty the hold of every ecell it has. Then set it to be a sector trader. I do a high speed run to Power Circle to make sure I can jump when needed, and begin to consider what should come next. I now consider the first step taken - I am beginning to be on my way.....

X1000

Post by X1000 » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 23:37

Hope that investment in the Disco pays off... Good job!

QuitSmokin
x3tc

Post by QuitSmokin » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 18:41

All this work you do, trading sounds like a tough life you sure your not half Boron :?:

Almost gonna feel sorry the next time I'm making a freighter pilot bail out of his precious TS.

Hnt'r Kllr
Savage Split Pirate

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 19:12

Yes, this time around alot of trading foundation work is in place - but it will pay off big once I get moving. Takes money to make money! I am purposely avoiding combats this game as my last DiD was combat oriented. *Though the fluke death still irritates me!*

Combat will come - as I will run through all the plots if I survive long enough. But for now I want to get a solid financial background set up so by the time I want a M6 I can buy one to be able to start capping M7's, and then M2's. I am seriously thinking of trying to avoid combats until I either start the plots, or until I am ready to start capping. Haven't decided yet.

IceFire909
x4

Post by IceFire909 » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 19:13

QuitSmokin wrote:All this work you do, trading sounds like a tough life you sure your not half Boron :?:
And there I was thinking that Teladi were the trading pros... :wink:
Incoming Message (4 New Messages)
Your Xenon K has Blue Screen of Death'd.
Your #deca CPU ship has 404'd.
Your Xenon P was docking and has stopped responding.
Your #deca.cefa has limited or no network connectivity.

QuitSmokin
x3tc

Post by QuitSmokin » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 19:43

True Ice, but since he is avoiding combat aswell I thought Boron was kinda fitting.

Probably spoke too soon though like Sys says once he gets enough money and can buy a "safe" ship the fight is on.

X1000

Post by X1000 » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 20:56

Lol, i read your last DiD. :roll: 'News flash, a Argon M4 and a Terran M5 were told to undock at the same time, pilot killed instantly..." :roll:

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 21:43

The first step might be complete, but there are a lot more to take, and I can't afford a stumble right now. The bank account is down under 100k now, 67k to be accurate, and I am already starting to run into problems.

Blast those Teladi - I think they got revenge for the old splatter mark on the Mercury. They sold me Trade Software Mk3 - but its acting like its Mk .3 instead - I told the pilot to sector trade in Empire's Edge. 3 Times he responded with "help me - my hold is full" - and when I look he is docked at a station and has nothing but 1 25mj shield onboard.... Finally had to make him undock and then he started trading - but in the last while I have had to reboot the software a couple of times and even threaten to fire the guy if he can't figure out how to trade on his own.

Good help is hard to find.... I think the Teladi sold me a demo version or something.....

Still - another few hours and I check on him and he is now rank 5 and seems to have figured out how to make things work. Thats a bit better. Don't know if I want to trust him UT though - maybe make him stay in ST mode till he hits 20 or more - just to keep him from trying to dock at a Khaak shipyard......

Making sure my Disco is as fast and maneuverable as possible, I then start cruising around for some "I gotta get there NOW" passenger runs. Most passengers are more concerned about speed, but I end up having to drop 2 missions because the uppity little gits wanted to go in style, and my Discoverer doesnt have room for style. Still - a good few hours spent running people back and forth from here to there and everywhere, and the bank account is looking better. 350k and climbing. I have stayed in "known" sectors for now in these runs.

A number of "ship" missions were on offer, but if your ship is stolen - how am I gonna get it back for you without violence? My M5 has no guns so I don't know why these people seem to think I am set up for such requests. I did just finish one interesting little mission though. The payout was small - only 7k, but it looked easy. A pilot had ejected and left a disco in Kingdom End. Could I go get it - and have it back within half an hour? Its a disco - I could have it back in 10 minutes - or so I thought. This was in Power Circle - so I jump my D out, approach, and the unowned ship is just sitting there. Hull damaged bad, but I know how to fix that. A few welds and I climb in. Order my own ship to jump back to PC and dock at the Cahoona bakery. I hit the gas, the Disco engine burps, and I swear I heard it backfire. What in tarnation? Full throttle this thing does 107..... and doesnt even have a seta system aboard! This is going to be a boring, long trip. Eventually I get the ship there - eject and order it to dock - then dock in my spacesuit. It docks with 48 seconds to spare..... whew! Not that the 7k means much, but I don't like doing all that work for nothing to show for it but cops after me!

For now, its simply about building the cash reserves to do something new.

DrSysAdmin
x3ap

Post by DrSysAdmin » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 21:52

Note - the next installment may not be for a few days. I have been extremely lazy and not rebuilt my beta 7 box (which is my game box) - so now its gonna be expired and I will have to rebuild it tonight. Thus, the gaming may have to wait until tommorow eve, and friday being a holiday here I will be out of town until late sunday. So barring a very quick rebuild, suspect the next installment on Monday.

mad_axeman
x3tc

Post by mad_axeman » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 22:07

DrSysAdmin wrote:They sold me Trade Software Mk3 - but its acting like its Mk .3 instead
Nice comment. :D
Liking this so far. Hope you keep it up after rebuilding your comp.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”