Increasing X3:TC Font size

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

jannix
x4

Increasing X3:TC Font size

Post by jannix » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 08:36

Hi guys,

I was wondering if this is possible? I would like to increase the font size of all the in-game text (galaxy map, menu items, etc) Anyone know how? :)

Thought I'll ask a quick question here in off-topic. I tried to play X3:TC on my giant tv sitting a respectable distance away and it really is a fun experience - except the text being unreadable. :) I was hoping to fix that. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 09:24

As far as I know, it's not possible.

EDIT: Although I do recall seeing a post in one of the other game tech support forums about some tool...

Here. I've no idea if it works with TC though.

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Tue, 30. Jun 09, 23:58

I think it would be better to sticky that thread on x3fontmaker... just in case others need that... it would be easier to find. :D
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 02:06

someone else wrote:I think it would be better to sticky that thread on x3fontmaker... just in case others need that... it would be easier to find. :D
Does it still work with TC?

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 08:49

I'm not sure how I use it. I can load a windows font and it outputs a *.abc and *.tga file. From one of the threads linked, I decided to name it tahoma13.abc and tahoma13.tga and i put it in the root game directory. But on loading X3:TC, i didn't see any change in font size.

All I want to do is increase the size a wee bit. Could someone else give this a quick try to see if they can make it work?

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 09:33

@arka1nas: most of X3 reunion tools and tutorials still do...

@jannix: fonts in TC are found in a folder called "f", if you want to override the tahoma 13 used by the game (locked into the game files) you need to create a folder in the game installation directory and call it "f", then put the two new files in it.

in theory they should work if you do this way. report if they do! :D
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 09:51

Hey someone else. Thanks for the foldername "f". Copied it in and it worked just great. I tried size 9 tahoma from x3fontmaker. Its definitely a bit bigger than the default. Thought it doesn't look very good (looks a lot like the x2 font.) I'll just have to experiment and find a font that looks good and is a decent size. Now that we have a method to do it... that should just be trial and error. :)

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 06:44

After some experimentation, I have decided to use x3fontmaker and generate tahoma13.tga and tahoma13.abc from the Windows Vista Verdana font - size 10. It looks pretty good and is real large, for the visually challenged, like myself. :)

I'm posting it here in case it helps someone else.

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 08:48

i found this thread very helpful, with the resolution and screensize i pla on iam always having to lean forward to read blocks of text.
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 10:31

cool! so everything works as intended.

As I said before can a moderator add this to S&M modding tutorials links? just in case this info is needed for others.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

Vamphaery
x3tc

Post by Vamphaery » Thu, 15. Aug 13, 00:38

*Deleted question about how to get this to work because I finally found the way*

Further EDIT: Nevermind. I found a download of a font in the proper directory tree to make it change fonts. Still not as large as I'd like, but much more legible and any larger would exceed the UI panels and be cut off (I know because I tried to make one larger and cut off the words.)

Anyone else on Windows 7 64-bit with this problem, the fonts I downloaded were here (I used the 11 font): http://en.sdenn.com/x3tc-x3-terran-conf ... text-font/ Just extract the zip file after downloading DIRECTLY into C:\Program Files (x86)\EGOSOFT\X3 Terran Conflict\ and it works like a charm. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Starfighter08
x4

Post by Starfighter08 » Sat, 24. May 14, 23:47

Vamphaery wrote:*Deleted question about how to get this to work because I finally found the way*

Further EDIT: Nevermind. I found a download of a font in the proper directory tree to make it change fonts. Still not as large as I'd like, but much more legible and any larger would exceed the UI panels and be cut off (I know because I tried to make one larger and cut off the words.)

Anyone else on Windows 7 64-bit with this problem, the fonts I downloaded were here (I used the 11 font): http://en.sdenn.com/x3tc-x3-terran-conf ... text-font/ Just extract the zip file after downloading DIRECTLY into C:\Program Files (x86)\EGOSOFT\X3 Terran Conflict\ and it works like a charm. Hopefully this will help someone else.
Hello, I'm relieved that I'm not the only one with this problem. Unfortunately the font downloads are no longer available at this link. Is there somewhere else I could get them?

manniac
x2

Post by manniac » Thu, 29. May 14, 11:34

Ok, this post is old, but ...

YES it is possible and here's how you do it, step by step:

(tried on X3AP version 3.0 with Bonus package installed - the latest - information in the thread leads me to strongly believe it works for X3TC as well)

1. download x3fontmaker - readme is in japanese, but don't worry.

2. start the app;

3. on the left, you have a button that says fonts. Click on it, choose a font you want;

4. choose a size for that font, 8 works well;

5. in "advanced" tab, if you used a size 8 font, put a -2 adjustment in Y spot. That means the font will be displayed 2 pixels higher than standard, that will help with framing correctly the writing in the available space.

IMPORTANT note: windows and displays, in game, don't auto adjust, that's why you have to do it yourself, by using this advanced tab.

6. in top left corner, hit File(F) and it will allow you to save. Type in the name: tahoma13 then hit save;

7. new window pops, type the name again: tahoma13, hit save;

Choose a good path, I recommend a new folder, inside X3fontmaker.

8. Inside your game folder, make a new folder named "f" (without the quotes)

9. copy both files you generated inside "f" folder.

10. start the game and enjoy new fonts.

So far I tried Verdana font with size 8 and it looks much, MUCH better than original, saves years off my poor eyes. Next step is to try to frame a size 9 or even 10 font, but I doubt higher than that is possible, the allotted space to write stuff is very small and is hard coded.

- update -

I tried with font size 10, with -4 Y adjustment it crops the top and bottom of the text.

With size 9 font, using a -3 Y adjustment you only lose the bottom of "long letters" like g, j, p, in sector view and station wares, game menu looks very good though.

This leads me to believe a size 7 BOLD font might work good as well.

So if you are picky, size 8 font works perfectly, if you value your eyes beyond anything else, like me, size 9 is a MAJOR improvement.

- update 2 -

I probably have OCD or something lol, but after trying literally dozens of options, I think I found a very nice solution: Verdana font, size 7, bold, Y: -2. Is very close to size 6 original text, but due to "boldness", makes it much easier to read from a distance. As an advantage it doesn't overlap the health bars. Try it out.

Hope this helps.
Magnate
Ace 1st Grade
142 ships
68 stations

Louiscortez
x4

Post by Louiscortez » Sun, 1. Jun 14, 09:52

Would you mind uploading your two files?

In order to "uninstall" them, I will just delete the "f" folder, right?

manniac
x2

Post by manniac » Wed, 4. Jun 14, 16:22

That's right, well delete the contents of "f" folder.

I can't upload them, since I have to host the files to another site in order to put the links here, something I'm trying to avoid. If there is a way to link them directly please let me know.

One of the reasons I described the process in detail, step by step, is to avoid having to host them.
Magnate
Ace 1st Grade
142 ships
68 stations

gilboa
x4

X3AP on Linux.

Post by gilboa » Fri, 12. Aug 16, 16:41

Hello all,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this threads is the first match when googling for X3 and 4K and I *might* help fellow X3 players (as this thread helped me)

1. Under X3/Steam/Linux, the folder name is 'F' (Upper-case) and the font names are 'Tahoma13.abc' and 'Tahoma13.tga'.
2. xfontmaker works just fine using wine (Windows emulator).

WFIW I've yet to find the best combination, (Ariel+9+'Y:-2' seems fairly close to 'acceptable') but I'm getting there :)

Thanks.
- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:R Linux w/ XTM (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:TC w/ XRM (under wine).
Heavily modified X3:AP Linux w/ XRM.
Modified X4 Linux w/ VRO.
Machine: 2 x E5-2658V2, 32G, 8TB RAID10, 1080GTX, Dell UP3216Q 4K LCD.

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Fri, 12. Aug 16, 18:40

I brought the Ubuntu font to X3 which fits quite well. You can have a look here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=387201 (it works for all X3:TC/AP versions, not only for LU).

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Sat, 13. Aug 16, 15:58

BlackArchon wrote:I brought the Ubuntu font to X3 which fits quite well. You can have a look here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=387201 (it works for all X3:TC/AP versions, not only for LU).
Thanks!
These a the best fonts thus far on my 32" 4K display.

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:R Linux w/ XTM (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:TC w/ XRM (under wine).
Heavily modified X3:AP Linux w/ XRM.
Modified X4 Linux w/ VRO.
Machine: 2 x E5-2658V2, 32G, 8TB RAID10, 1080GTX, Dell UP3216Q 4K LCD.

ubai

Post by ubai » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 00:54

Hello,

I may be doing something wrong. I created a folder called "f" in E:\Steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict ( I also tried "F") but nothing seems to be changing. I tried the Ubuntu fonts and a few others with no luck. Is there anything else I need to do? I'm running win 10 64 bit.

Thanks!
Matt

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 15:08

"f" works fine for me. But i used the x3 fontmaker program. The folder needs to contain exactly one .abc and exactly one .tga file. Maybe you need to activate the visability of file endings in your browser?

If your setup is like this you should try another custom font.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”