[TC] Space Flies Slowin' me Down

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gothsheep
x3tc

Space Flies Slowin' me Down

Post by Gothsheep » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 02:25

Here's a problem I've run into lately.

As my empire of evil expands, I spend more of my time sitting around managing assets and less time actually flying. That's fine, you know. It's a natural progression of the game and is good.

However, to ensure I don't get bothered, and because I like the idea of being 'off the grid' when I don't want to be found, I use the UFJ until I find a nice, quiet, abandoned sector to hang around in. Typically these days I'm in my Boreas, just in case some Xenon K jumps from behind an asteroid to say 'boo!'.

So what's the problem?

Space flies. When you go to a sector that's completely abandoned and sit around for a while, these little guys tend to cluster around your ship. Now, because I'm doing a lot of waiting, I tend to use SETA a lot. However, the problem is that the space flies count as objects. Collision detection works in such a way that if an 'object' gets too close to you in SETA, it will automatically knock you out of it.

So the Space Flies keep breaking my SETA bubble. Is there a way to fix that? Or at least some bait I can drop to keep them away from me? I mean I like having them around, they're chill little guys and I imagine my crew appreciates having them to watch while we're not doing anything but relaxing in a corner of space never before seen by man, but c'mon. I need my SETA.

Gold Dragon
x3tc

Post by Gold Dragon » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 03:54

Uhh...

well...

You could just, you know...... shoot them.... Ion Disruptor and Ion Cannon seem to do quite well....... :cry:

X1000

Post by X1000 » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 07:45

Gold Dragon wrote:Uhh...

well...

You could just, you know...... shoot them.... Ion Disruptor and Ion Cannon seem to do quite well....... :cry:
Agreeded. :roll:

yelgrun
x3tc

Post by yelgrun » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 08:30

What about ion mines? lay em surrounding your ship, maybe spaceflies would back off.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 10:07

Why not go the whole hog and jump in a capital ship fleet and drop a bunch of lasertowers to defend you from the spacefly armada.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's anything you can do, except try another sector, some seem to be richer in them than others.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 10:10

SQUASH mines! :twisted: Damn spaceflies won't know what hit 'em.

Seriously, bring ion disruptor +spacefly collector, you get rid of the flies and make a tidy sum from selling them off later.

swordfish694
x3tc

Post by swordfish694 » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 12:17

I had a problem like that, i was in my tokiyo using seta to train my mariens, but i noticed my ship whas bumping and i was thrown out of seta.
I entered my m3 and moved abit away from my tokiyo, i wasent being thrown out of seta any more. ( didnt know that it where space flies casing me that trouble). Though there are some very good suggestions if i read the other replies :lol:

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 12:21

Maybe if you parked in a planet's atmosphere. Not close enough to blow up but close enough for the little pests to go FWOOOSH.

And what about a spacefly collector...?
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 12:58

I vote for a huge tin of fly spray - Or one of those sticky rolls.

Or is it because the Boreas resembles an attractive female space fly and they're just getting amorous... :o

DISCLAIMER: I do not find any Spaceflies attractive

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 16:34

Gazz wrote:Maybe if you parked in a planet's atmosphere. Not close enough to blow up but close enough for the little pests to go FWOOOSH.

You could try that.

Split fire has atmosphere right next to the gate if I remember right, so you could try there if you want to avoid long flights.

I also recently located a crate of 'insecticide' after a sector invasion. I was planning on flying into a khaak home sector and dropping it near a hive queen but you could always borrow it for use on spaceflies.

Mizzle
x3tc

Post by Mizzle » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 18:37

Chris0132 wrote:I also recently located a crate of 'insecticide' after a sector invasion. I was planning on flying into a khaak home sector and dropping it near a hive queen but you could always borrow it for use on spaceflies.
I found one of those and carried it with me for the whole of Final Fury as a good luck charm. It doesn't actually do anything though, it's just an item that's put on civilian ships for flavour.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Tue, 14. Jul 09, 00:36

Chris0132 wrote:
Gazz wrote:Maybe if you parked in a planet's atmosphere. Not close enough to blow up but close enough for the little pests to go FWOOOSH.

You could try that.

Split fire has atmosphere right next to the gate if I remember right, so you could try there if you want to avoid long flights.

I also recently located a crate of 'insecticide' after a sector invasion. I was planning on flying into a khaak home sector and dropping it near a hive queen but you could always borrow it for use on spaceflies.
No no, I can't park in the atmosphere of a planet. The whole idea is that I want to use the Unfocused Jumpdrive to take me completely off the grid and do most of my managerial work from somewhere that no human has ever been to before. That way I'm all mysterious and stuff.

As for the insecticide, thanks for the offer, but I'd rather not hurt the little guys. I hear they're good luck. Besides, the Boron would probably get mad at me. (I think the Boron just like knowing that there's a species out in space that's even more pathetic and weak than they are)

Gold Dragon
x3tc

Post by Gold Dragon » Tue, 14. Jul 09, 01:41

Using the Spacefly collector outside Split Territory is highly illegal, other than pirate/unknown sectors...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”