Hammerhead Missile - Any outlets?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The Iron Duke
x3tc

Hammerhead Missile - Any outlets?

Post by The Iron Duke » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 11:17

Looking to obtain Hammerhead Missiles.
Have scouted the Terran bases without result.
Anybody know if / where they can be obtained?
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me." (Sir Athur Wellesley, viewng the Connaught Rangers, eve of Waterloo.)

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 11:20

Assuming you mean X3-TC, the Hammerhead is actually not sold anywhere, and it is mounted on Commonwealth ships rather then Terran ones.

So, try t blow up a lot of pirates - they carry that missile often.

Prutz0r
x3tc

Post by Prutz0r » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 11:31

Jumped right into a xenon migration yesterday, stuck around for a while and I ended up with 7 shiny hammerhead missles and a few beluga's. Pirates work well too, as above poster said. Take a couple of station defense missions, and you might be able to find a few.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 12:01

Why scouting for Hammerheads when with cahoonas and ore, one could sustain the need for Firestorms quite easily?... :idea:
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 13:15

BeidAmmikon wrote:Why scouting for Hammerheads when with cahoonas and ore, one could sustain the need for Firestorms quite easily?... :idea:
Because the only M3 which can fire Firestorms (to my knowledge) is the Medusa Prototype. Hammerheads, on the otherhand, can be fired by about 90% of the M3's in the game, and even some of the M4's. So it's a much more versatile missile.

It also takes less cargo space....
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 13:19

:) Why bother with the Medusa Prototype when you can use a Tiger instead? :twisted:
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 13:22

BeidAmmikon wrote::) Why bother with the Medusa Prototype when you can use a Tiger instead? :twisted:
I'd prefer to use something small and fast, and do a kamikaze bombing run on a big ship, and actually run away and live to tell the tale. :P

But that's just me. Big ships turn to slowly for my liking, and I can't catch up with those pesky small fighters to shoot them down....

To each their own.
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

verdeboy2k
x4

Post by verdeboy2k » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 15:06

BeidAmmikon wrote:Why scouting for Hammerheads when with cahoonas and ore, one could sustain the need for Firestorms quite easily?... :idea:
Because the Hammerhead is a Thermonuclear Warhead and the Firestorm is some lame quantum-thingy. Big difference. :twisted:

Also, Panther = Tiger + Fighters = Awesome!
Two things are certain: Death and Taxes. And I am not so sure about the former.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 15:11

verdeboy2k wrote:Because the Hammerhead is a Thermonuclear Warhead and the Firestorm is some lame quantum-thingy. Big difference. :twisted:

Where you base that? They both cause similar damage (Hammerhead just a 20% more)

verdeboy2k
x4

Post by verdeboy2k » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 15:16

It's not a gameplay thing it's a coolness factor, sorry for the confusion.

I just like the idea that its a nuke better.

edited for the stupidity of tablet-pc input systems, and because I just woke up
Two things are certain: Death and Taxes. And I am not so sure about the former.

xdxforever

Post by xdxforever » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 15:24

There are a few salvage only missiles, which are generally superior in some slight way to the generally available type.

Hammerheads: slightly more usable than firestorms
Wildfire: not all slow like silkworms
RGW: more power and long range over that other re targeting missle i cant recall the name of.
Disruptor: excellent for small fighters, just like the dragonfly.

there are a few others that dont come to mind, the firefly has an equally useless counterpart.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 15:33

To add to the list:

Hurricane: although slower than the Disruptor, is an alternative if you want to save the latter for the coporation missions.
Rapier: unlike the mosquito, they actually can kill an M5 if you fire 3 or 4. And they are the fastest missile there.
Banshee: Although slower, they are similar in damage to the Thunderbolt and occupies just 1 cargo space.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 15:33

Me think that hammerhead also has a bigger blastradius... worth a look at the TWeaponsOfMassDestruction.txt
Banshee: Although slower, they are similar in damage to the Thunderbolt and occupies just 1 cargo space.
But only 15Km range witch is inferior. But that's ok, so my Mamba is invulnerable to them and doesn't has to fly 70Km until it selfdestructs :D
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 16:03

Well personally I prefer swarm missiles and my favorite for doing some real damage is the typoon.
Hammerheads might have a powerful warhead but the chances of them actually hitting the target are slim but 1/2 a dozan typoons is a differant matter :twisted:

Try them and see :wink:

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 16:04

Haha, try making the Hammerhead a swarm missile just for laughs... that is until you have every second Xenon ship in the game launching them at you... now THAT is scary....
[ external image ]
***modified***

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 16:05

Unfortunately only one fighter can fire typhoons and not very easy to get

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 16:24

vbruzual wrote:Unfortunately only one fighter can fire typhoons and not very easy to get
Well my Hyperion can and I have no problem getting them as I produce my own. :roll:

As the Typoon missile is produced by the teladi I'd look in there space and checkout there fighters. :wink:

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 16:31

The Hyperion is not a fighter, is an M6. And no teladi fighter can fire typhoons, only one particular paranid one :wink:

Psirus
xr

Post by Psirus » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 16:54

argon_emperor wrote:
BeidAmmikon wrote::) Why bother with the Medusa Prototype when you can use a Tiger instead? :twisted:
I'd prefer to use something small and fast, and do a kamikaze bombing run on a big ship, and actually run away and live to tell the tale. :P

But that's just me. Big ships turn to slowly for my liking, and I can't catch up with those pesky small fighters to shoot them down....

To each their own.
Have you ever tried firing a hammerhead and living to tell about it? it's kind of hard because of the kilometer radius of the explosion.............. back it up with wasp missles and you might actually live to tell about it.
Plays on the Monolith from 2001
X3 Mogul, EXTREME
TC Mogul, Legend
AP Master Industrialist, Battlemaster
XR WTF, WTF

Prutz0r
x3tc

Post by Prutz0r » Mon, 20. Jul 09, 17:02

@Psirus

You are aware that missiles have different range requirements than guns? And that you can fire a Hammerhead missile from more than 50 KM?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”