[IDEA] A better way to uninstall a script

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

[IDEA] A better way to uninstall a script

Post by Gazz » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 17:44

Right now, uninstalling a script only works if
1. the scripter deemed it necessary to provide an uninstall script
2. the player can grasp the concept of manually finding and starting the script in the script editor

2. could be improved.

If the uninstall script was an ALP, there would be an interface for such a thing.
A simple switch but what more does it take?

The main advantage is that once "uninstalled", the ALP would display this state and a flag would be set to prevent the setup of the script from running again.
The uninstallation would be permanent without having to mess around with the actual files.
Until you switch the ALP back ON. Then the "uninstall" flag is removed and setup script can run once more.

This would be a convenient Script-B-Gone button. And it stays gone until I say so.
No browsing the folders for scripts to remove or other such uhh... technical stuffs.

This can be as basic or fancy as desired. Uninstallation could pop up an additional "Confirm" dialog or upon canceling uninstall, the setup script can be started automatically.
That's all just technical details.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 18:05

That's partly the reason I made the hotkey and ware managers
These can unistall them automatically when the script is remove so scripts don't need uninstall scripts

The plugin manager also does uninstall scripts that can be run automatically when the script is removed

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 18:14

unless i'm missing something here this is exactly what all my scripts do hence why most are ALP's

It takes around 5 mins with a smaller script to c+p the 3 alp scripts and usually not long for the uninstaller (bar RRF) I just have an uninstall global variable in the needed scripts to terminate/destroy objects when the plugin is turned off
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 18:21

Cycrow wrote:That's partly the reason I made the hotkey and ware managers
These can unistall them automatically when the script is remove so scripts don't need uninstall scripts
A while ago I asked how a script could determine if the HK manager was installed.
Knowing that would be a prerequisite for any signed script because they are not allowed to call nonexistant scripts. (I think)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Osiris_sam
x4

Post by Osiris_sam » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 19:32

standardisation of uninstal processes is tricky with ensuring that all script authors use tools such as the hotkey manager/ware manager etc.

the remaining problem as i see it, is the removal of global variables and local variables. i dont see this as a big problem unless the user is updating their script and need to uninstall it first

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 20:26

Gazz wrote:
Cycrow wrote:That's partly the reason I made the hotkey and ware managers
A while ago I asked how a script could determine if the HK manager was installed.
Knowing that would be a prerequisite for any signed script because they are not allowed to call nonexistant scripts. (I think)
for the bonus pack, the hotkey manager will always be available, so it can call the script fine

for any unsigned script u just call the hotkey manager script, if it returns true, then u know its available

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 20:30

Osiris_sam wrote:standardisation of uninstal processes is tricky with ensuring that all script authors use tools such as the hotkey manager/ware manager etc.

the remaining problem as i see it, is the removal of global variables and local variables. i dont see this as a big problem unless the user is updating their script and need to uninstall it first
would be nice if al lscripts can clean up thier global varibles, althou not essential, obviously things like hotkeys, or wares, are quite obvious to the general user so removing them is important

but making an uninstall script and the users to actualyl use them would be too much hassle, if all its doing is removing global varibles.

a varible manager could be implented to help with this if its really needed.
something simple like register the first part of the varibles, then when the script is removed, it can just get all vvaribles starting with that and remove them

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”