[IDEA] missile speed based on launch ship speed

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Cyphr
x3tc

[IDEA] missile speed based on launch ship speed

Post by Cyphr » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 20:33

After having outrun missiles i fired at full throttle only to take a left turn and get hit by my own hurricane one too many times, I realized that physics say this isn't possible. any one familiar with physics say if you throw something at 150 m/s and your traveling 350,m/s that something should go 500m/s. Is it possible to script missiles so that their travel speed is based on your ship's current speed? It would save me much anguish.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 21:34

That's hardcoded afaik.
However the missiles have your speed if you launch them and then slow down to their own speed. Just decrease the acceleration of the missiles and you'll be fine.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 21:38

Not a technical reply, but I think the game wants missiles to have a specific max range and a specific interception ceiling (ie some ships should be able to run away from them). If you add in the launch ship's speed (no matter how logical it is to do so) you not only increase the missile interception speed but also the max range. This may be considered too imbalancing an advantage for fast ships that already enjoy a significant speed edge over the opposition.

By the way, you do realise that the AI will then use these faster/longer range missiles on you too?

Perhaps a better solution is to enable only faster missile type useage on fast ships, and/or just make some of the faster missiles more capable so as to equate to some of their slower counterparts but give them shorter duration/range - and you can easily do any of those yourself.

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Fri, 24. Jul 09, 01:50

I've actually tested this a lot, and missiles exit speed is the
Min(ship speed, missile maximum speed)

Also, it is fairly difficult to collide with missiles. It is probably more common that you/someone's turrets are shooting them down as soon as they launch.

If you really want the missile to travel at the ships current speed, you can set its acceleration to 0, but then of course, it won't be able to turn. (It will turn, but having 0 acceleration, it will just continue flying its straight line path)

Gorium
x3tc

Post by Gorium » Fri, 24. Jul 09, 01:57

Missiles in X3TC do not preserve the initial speed of the missile launching ship. You could compare them to inert material that gets launched perpendicular to the ship and then activates it engines and then head in the good direction. Their speed is limited by the control systems on those missiles, and they have to "reduce speed" or accelerate to reach their factory speed since they can not operate otherwise.

Yes, it is somewhat flawed, but they probably made it so to limit their ranges, and reduce the calculation involved with them....

Cyphr
x3tc

Post by Cyphr » Fri, 24. Jul 09, 12:16

Alan Phipps wrote:
By the way, you do realize that the AI will then use these faster/longer range missiles on you too?
I was hoping they would short of swarm missiles, they're far too easy to back flip and gun down

as for it not being codeable I'll just try to stop strafing when i fire - its not inbound fire (i did this with a long range missile once before i engaged) It's more the launch point on the Pericles is near the rear (or so it seems) so its next to me for several seconds before its clear if i bump it the missile dies making the explodey bit explode and taking me along with it.

Apache787
x4

Post by Apache787 » Sat, 25. Jul 09, 03:31

Well my 2 cents to this idea:

If ( Player speed > Max Speed) when launched
Speed of the missile should == Player speed.
Speed of the missile shall not be reduced if going in a straight line.
Speed of the missile shall be decelerated in the event the missile must correct its course.
Deceleration is dependent on the type of missile and its thrust.

The deceleration of the missile is proportional to amount of deviation from original course. Something we want to avoid is that the missile shall not jump from (arbitrary numbers) 1000 down to 300 in a tenth of a second when it needs to correct its course by a mm to the left.

Another thought: If we launch something big (A torpedo perhaps) Those inherently have a large turning radius and slow speeds. So if one were to be launched faster than max speed, the deceleration will be rather slow, and the turning radius will be increased greatly.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”