FBL vs PAC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Beergoggles
x3tc

FBL vs PAC

Post by Beergoggles » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 03:10

Thoughts? I capped a Hyp Vanguard and she had about 9 FBL's in the turrent still intact and had 5 PAC in the cargo bay. Should I keep the Fragmentation Bomb Launchers or swap out for the Particle Accl Cannon in my AI controlled M6 Hyperion Vanguard's turrents?

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 03:21

FBL couldn't hit an astriod at point blank range, bin the FBL's and fit the PAC's in the rear turrets and set them on missile defence.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 07:59

Don't bin them! FBLs are worth quite a bit of money...9 of them should be a pretty nice haul at your local EQ dock.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 12:03

FBLs could hit an asteroid at point blank range. Infact, despite what people say I find them rather useful.

It's meant to explode at max range and hit several targets, but like CFA, it just doesn't work.

But if the original projectile hits, say an M5, it does serious damage. Early on in games I repeatedly get killed by Novas with FBL on the rear turret.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

The-Gizmo
x3tc

Post by The-Gizmo » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 22:46

Yeah, I always wondered why people kept saying they're useless. When I get pounded with them all the time when fighting bunches and bunches of fighters that have FBL in my M7. If the original projectile hits my ship before it explodes, it does a good amount of damage to my ship.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 22:48

Yeah, that's my experience with FBL's as well: been killed several times by their inferno but havn't managed to hit a single shot myself so far...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 23:27

They are definitely not useless.
However, they are worse than HEPT in every possible way and usually a turret that can mount FBL can also mount HEPT.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

The-Gizmo
x3tc

Post by The-Gizmo » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 23:38

The Kestrel can mount an FBL on it's rear turret, but not a HEPT since it's just an M5. Which is the only ship I use it on so far.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 1. Aug 09, 23:46

But as you said, the Kestrel is an M5. It can not use HEPT-league weaponry for a useful lenght of time.

PAC is more energy efficient against shields so you get more bang out of the measly laser generator.
Against hull it's actually less effective but once you are through the shields of a ship, it's game over. So not a real downside.

That's not counting the fact that PAC is also twice as accurate against moving targets.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ares23
x3tc

Post by Ares23 » Sun, 2. Aug 09, 03:44

The most important reason to hate FBL is the noise they make. It makes my ears bleed.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”