Teladi Phoenix. a sad letdown

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hartzaden
x3tc

Teladi Phoenix. a sad letdown

Post by Hartzaden » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 19:29

ya know ever since i first saw one of these hulking monstrsitys i allways wanted one. now that i have one i was left with a feeling of sad emptyness. for the biggest ship in the game she fails realy hard. her looks say M0 but fire power wise shes a shocking letdown, ilbeit shes still a destroyer. but fighting other destroyers shes a letdown. on the bright side its not that hard to miss somthing when trying to strafe ram it :P

and also in X3R (havent played it) i remember hearing she could build stations and was all around a better warship.

WTF HAPPONED TO HER :evil:

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 20:07

M2's in X3:R could build stations or at least some of them could IIRC, provided they had the cargo capacity to do so. But station building is a job for TL's not M2's.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 20:15

Actually, because of the enormous shielding, the Pheonix makes a reasonable OOS sector defence ship - granted it's not quite as good as the Boreas but it's not bad.
[ external image ]

... old skool

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 20:16

Deadbeat_Spinn wrote:M2's in X3:R could build stations or at least some of them could IIRC, provided they had the cargo capacity to do so. But station building is a job for TL's not M2's.
No, they couldn't. While they had ST cargo class listed, they couldn't actually carry a station. I know, I tried. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

PegasusJF
x3tc

Post by PegasusJF » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 20:21

I dunno, with the combat mod 3 and guass cannons that ship looks like it would be a real LR terror.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 20:45

The Pheonix was the most deadly capital ship in X2. Slow, yes, but my gods the fire it could soak up while dealing death was amazing.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

ephemeron
x4

Post by ephemeron » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 23:14

Deadbeat_Spinn wrote:M2's in X3:R could build stations or at least some of them could IIRC, provided they had the cargo capacity to do so. But station building is a job for TL's not M2's.
"Teladi Company Security's R&D Division has announced an improved version of the Gauss Cannon, which fires space stations. Representatives of the other race militaries expressed confusion, but Chairman CEO expects that Teladi Equipment Docks and Shipyards will both profit greatly because of this new weapon."

lincs_geezer
x2

Post by lincs_geezer » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 01:05

ephemeron wrote:
"Teladi Company Security's R&D Division has announced an improved version of the Gauss Cannon, which fires space stations. Representatives of the other race militaries expressed confusion, but Chairman CEO expects that Teladi Equipment Docks and Shipyards will both profit greatly because of this new weapon."
I bet a space station in the face would sting a bit. Especially one of the spikey ones.

DaveyP
x3tc

Post by DaveyP » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 02:08

Would be fun to watch freighter pilots shouting "wtf?" as they tried to dock with a crystal fab shooting past them at 400ms

aceattacker

Post by aceattacker » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 02:41

Hehe, reminds me of my I-War 2 flights. Didn't catapult any space stations, but cargo pods loaded with explosive stuff. One direct hit could blow a station sky high.
Seriously, though, I don't think weaponizing a 250.000 to multi-million credit station is a very Teladi-ish thing to do. Too costly, not profitable at all.
Last edited by aceattacker on Tue, 4. Aug 09, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
In between life and death, there is only one dream to care for.
-Actually, I love X3 too much to stop now.

Psirus
xr

Post by Psirus » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 02:41

lol
Plays on the Monolith from 2001
X3 Mogul, EXTREME
TC Mogul, Legend
AP Master Industrialist, Battlemaster
XR WTF, WTF

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 03:01

Hmph, if you want to see an M2 letdown, try the Split Python in X2 then try it in X3!
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 03:43

I dunno, I enjoy the Phoenix for what it does. The problem, of course, is that even the biggest guns only reach so far. The reach of most capital grade weapons is either less than or barely greater than (I think) the length of the Phoenix itself. So even once it breaks range, its own size gives it problems tracking a target, even large targets. And fighters can hardly get into range because collision avoidance will have them flopping around well outside a FAA's reach.

However, I find the Phoenix to be extremely useful as a battering ram when exiting a gate. NOTHING avoids that. :twisted: And the Phoenix can generally survive any collision you throw at it. And in a toe-to-toe engagement in a large open space, it is the master.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 10:07

The phoenix is a brick.

Huge, heavy, square, ugly, cheap, and tough as nails.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 11:24

Chris0132 wrote:The phoenix is a brick.

Huge, heavy, square, ugly, cheap, and tough as nails.
I had a couple of fierce battles against the Xenon that didn't go my way in X3:R where the only surviving Capital ships were Pheonixs'

It's those sheilds. It means they can survive long enough under a hail of missiles and guns to retreat.

When things have gone my way it's a good ship to send at groups of enemy capital ships, with fighter support of course.

It is probably the ugliest capital ship in the game, but I don't mind.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

aceattacker

Post by aceattacker » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 12:28

mystikmind2005 wrote:Hmph, if you want to see an M2 letdown, try the Split Python in X2 then try it in X3!
I don't get it. Last time I checked, the Python is the single most popular M2 in X3R. It has less guns, but an excellent recharge rate and what the guns lose in quantity, the make up in quality. The Python's also the fastest destroyer and has a nice narrow profile.
In between life and death, there is only one dream to care for.
-Actually, I love X3 too much to stop now.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 14:49

aceattacker wrote:
mystikmind2005 wrote:Hmph, if you want to see an M2 letdown, try the Split Python in X2 then try it in X3!
I don't get it. Last time I checked, the Python is the single most popular M2 in X3R. It has less guns, but an excellent recharge rate and what the guns lose in quantity, the make up in quality. The Python's also the fastest destroyer and has a nice narrow profile.
Try it with flaks all round. Its death on wings for fighters. Fly one set up that way down pirate alley, and you'll see what I mean :)

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 18:39

probably mystikmind2005 wanted to make a comparison between the Reunion Python and the TC Python.
THAT is a letdown.
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”