PBG. Do u use them?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chelo_boga
x3tc

PBG. Do u use them?

Post by chelo_boga » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 15:56

I bought a lot of PBG guns, about 60 of them

I did it, mainly because the factories were fully stocked and I could make a lot of profit, but then decided to keep them when the time comes I have a sufficient fighter force.

I was wondering if people use them, and if they do, what ships they equip them with, and if they have friendly fire problems.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 16:01

Yes, I use PBG's. Usually they are mounted on Blastclaw Proto's since they can't have HEPT's and I have a few other ships with them mounted, don't recall which ships though. Never had friendly fire issue's since I fly alone, unless you count the occasional NPC who decided to fly through my field of fire. But it's rather easy to regain any lost rep so it's no biggie.

Cyphr
x3tc

Post by Cyphr » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 16:08

flamethrowers on a M3 interesting idea - I've never used them but I think you could hit the AI for "holyshitwhatthehelljusthappenedtothattarget damage" They can't hit me with them but I fly insane and at about 20 meters off of them anyway so that probaly doesnt amount to much.

Black Gryphon
x4

Post by Black Gryphon » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 16:12

I put 6 on my Hyperion when I go after capital ships.
Last edited by Black Gryphon on Tue, 4. Aug 09, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 16:30

No - generally don't use them. Don't really consider PBG's to be a viable weapon for general combat due to their excessively short range - really don't like letting enemy ships get that close.

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 17:11

I use a pair of PBG's routinely when dogfighting in an M3. they make mincemeat out of M4's & M5's with one or two shots, and count towards your shots fired/hits ratio. If you have never tried them, I recomend doing so .... Khaak scouts or Xenon N's are gone in a single blast.

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 17:20

NPCs melt my face off with them far too often when I'm in a small ship for me to have any desire to use them. Instead I kill anything red that has one, and some blue things too :wink:
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 18:30

AI Eclipse+PBG= TOTAL PAWNAGE.

load a Panther with PBG-Eclipses and nothing will stop you. :D
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

chelo_boga
x3tc

Post by chelo_boga » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 18:35

Thanks guys. I'll equip a wing and give them a try

DR_Junior

Post by DR_Junior » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 18:37

I'm wondering, they should be real good for oos ? Powerfull and (I guess) no risk of Friendly Fire...

Did anyone tried it ?

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 19:13

No such thing as friendly fire OOS.
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 21:15

no as its a cheat/broken weapon.

a batch on a m3 can kill the average m6 within a few seconds.
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

Jopj
x3tc

Post by Jopj » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 21:18

I used them on my Falcon armada! Feels like a cheat tho, melting those Q's away...
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a pararell universe.

ephemeron
x4

Post by ephemeron » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 21:39

I have a Perseus* wing armed with PBG's and PBE's. They don't last as long as the HEPT/EBC wing, but watching them take down Kha'ak Corvettes in Operation Final Fury missions was a lot of fun.

* For aesthetic reasons, because this game used the Poisoned Paranid start and they're homebased to a Zeus. Falcon Haulers or, with a larger budget, Eclipses would be much tougher.

s_mak
x3

Post by s_mak » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 22:10

BUt if you are on a Visdar and put turrent defence to "attack enemies", the khaak scouts go down just as fast. like in 2/3 shots. A lot of time i just get the message that i got x amount of money for taking out a scout while i am engaging some bigger Kahaak ships. It was fun. Oh yeah, if you are on a Vidar, PBGs are useless against you. But then,m when it is fired at you, it looks so pretty being felt boil alive. :)

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 4. Aug 09, 22:22

the PBG OOS isn't as powerful as IS... (wyvern11 made tons of OOS-logs - there is a list of average damage of each weapon OOS, but dunno where it was)
Feels like a cheat tho, melting those Q's away...
PBG are like a cheat - or just horrible balanced. I don't use them cuz i hate them. All enemy fighters have that thing MOT so i don't want to see it all the time on my fighters.
(HEPT, PAC and PRG work very well and do a good amount of dmg and it doesn't feel like cheating)
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

yourpowersareweakoldman
x3tc

Post by yourpowersareweakoldman » Wed, 5. Aug 09, 02:40

* For aesthetic reasons, because this game used the Poisoned Paranid start and they're homebased to a Zeus. Falcon Haulers or, with a larger budget, Eclipses would be much tougher.
It's nice that you care about aestetics. Personally I do too, the Perseus Sentinel is the coolest looking ship in the game.

However, I don't see why you needed to point this out. It seems as if you're saying there's no reason to field the Perseus other than the aesthetic. It's a solid fighter. Very good in the M3 role.
Crystal Fabs make Crystals.
Quantum Tube Fabs make Quantum Tubes.
What do Ghetto Fabs make? BLING!

Snowship
x3tc

Post by Snowship » Wed, 5. Aug 09, 08:57

I use them when my HEPT's are out of energy cause PBG use very little energy..

For AI wings I use(d) them but I'm removing them from all of my main wings cause they kill all missiles before the missiles hit the target... and watching Silkworms/Thundeerbolts/Tempests even Wasps get crisped away before they hit the target by PBG is making me :cry:
[ external image ]
Vanilla Malt Gamestarts
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire"

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Wed, 5. Aug 09, 14:14

how about making it a true pirate weapon, in that it only works with space fuel on board as ammo?
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Wed, 5. Aug 09, 14:17

the best anti fighter drone weapon there is short of psg,there deadly nothing can stand long against them i love them

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”