Using bomber squadrons

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Phanto
x3tc

Using bomber squadrons

Post by Phanto » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 00:06

I am having a really difficult time using bombers effectively. I have a group of 4 Hades that I have jump with me into xenon sector 347. I can't seem to get them to attack a target.

Combat > attack... will cause them to fly towards a target until they get shot at, then they will start shooting back. Of course they get pwned.

I'll target a ship and then set all turrets to attack my target. This doesn't work either. If I have enemies within 4k of me the attack enemies turret command will cause the bombers to launch at fighters and such.

I have also tried removing bombers from the squadron without success.

What am I doing wrong? What how can I use bombers effectively in my vanilla game?

I have version 2.1.

jannix
x4

Re: Using bomber squadrons

Post by jannix » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 00:11

Phanto wrote:how can I use bombers effectively in my vanilla game?
I use my bomber all the time - a patched up pirate Perigrine that jumps in to inflict carnage in Xenon and Khaak sectors, after my Kraken jumps in and clears any nearby fighters.

There's only ONE way to use bombers effectively in vanilla... fly it yourself! Having a squadron is pretty pointless in that case. Transport into it, nuke the sector... transport into something else if enemy fighters get too close. :)

Gorium
x3tc

Post by Gorium » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 00:27

Use the "Additional Command" Missile Barrage and then select the target. That option works, the regular option does not all the time....

You might get them to fly toward enemies AND shoot, but that will probably require a hit missile shooting %, plus until the enemies are dead, they will continue to rush foward.

Like I said, missile barrage, or fly them yourself.

Phanto
x3tc

Post by Phanto » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 01:19

I did not know the bombers had missile barrage. Very useful. Thanks.

Thelic
x4

Post by Thelic » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 03:57

Another option is to kit out your main ship (or a chain of ships) with a transporter device and manually use your bombers as long range artillery, sitting at the edges of sectors lobbing Tomahawks. Barrage can be (deliciously) overkill for smaller targets.

Ares23
x3tc

Post by Ares23 » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 04:06

Yeah barrage launches what, like 8 missiles? If you're shooting at M6s that's WAY too many.

yourpowersareweakoldman
x3tc

Post by yourpowersareweakoldman » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 04:47

I did not know the bombers had missile barrage. Very useful. Thanks.
Can you give this order to flights of bombers, or do you have to use it on each individual ship?

For my game I'm considering organizing Fighters into 12 Ship Squadrons: 3 flights of 4. Bombers into 6 Ship Squadrons: 3 Flights of 2.

That makes for solid organization when it comes to frigates with 6 fighter bays. 4 M3s + 2 M8s

Get three Frigates and you have an entire squadron of both.

M3 x 12
M8 x 6
Crystal Fabs make Crystals.
Quantum Tube Fabs make Quantum Tubes.
What do Ghetto Fabs make? BLING!

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 05:25

yourpowersareweakoldman wrote:That makes for solid organization when it comes to frigates with 6 fighter bays. 4 M3s + 2 M8s

Get three Frigates and you have an entire squadron of both.

M3 x 12
M8 x 6
M8s can't dock to ships in Vanilla...
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:A wasp can sting you and that just hurts, a hundred stings can be fatal.. and that's before you consider most wasps don't come armed with flamethrowers.
Former Commanding Officer of "Hellbound Handbasket" M7 Panther light Carrier in the mighty fleet of Admiral Leo 'Steve' Kayean.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 05:31

...Which to me is a darn shame. I'm debating whether I want one mostly because they're not dockable in small ship slots. :/
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

yourpowersareweakoldman
x3tc

Post by yourpowersareweakoldman » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 05:42

M8s can't dock to ships in Vanilla...
So the M8s are supposed to be like the big Cold War era strategic bombers not Fighter/Attack bombers. I see, then I may re-organize.

I may go with a 10 Man Squadron.

In each Frigate.
5xM3 = Superiority.
1xM4 = Recon.

Then it's only two frigates to deploy a whole squadron.
Crystal Fabs make Crystals.
Quantum Tube Fabs make Quantum Tubes.
What do Ghetto Fabs make? BLING!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”