How do I get Boron Marines?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jannix
x4

How do I get Boron Marines?

Post by jannix » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 20:54

I've been trying to figure this out with no luck. I dont see any marines for sale in the Boron Military Outposts.

I remember an older thread about fav. race of marines and many people said they liked the boron voices and someone commented you can only get them in Pirate bases. So.. how do you go about "getting* them from Pirate bases? (the ones in my game don't sell marines either)

Am I missing something?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 20:56

Boron don't have their own marines, for some odd reason. Probably a pacifist thing. :roll: But you can get Boron mercenaries/marines at pirate bases and Merc bases. There's no real difference, if you want Borons in your crews.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 20:59

Boron military outposts dont sell marines.

I have seen mercenary bases near pirate stations though, maybe you could buy them there.

lol beaten to it

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 21:05

Ah.. merc bases.. forgot about those. I'm going to go check that. :)

Is there any way in the vanilla game to change passengers -> Marines? or Slaves -> Marines? Or Passengers -> slaves? :)

I haven't paid attention to this as things seem to have changed with X3:TC. When I picked up a space suit yesterday, instead of "slave" it said "passenger".

Hmm... come to think of it, I have another TC specific question. What does all those Marine Training barracks do? And is there any use for "Low yield sidearms" ? I see that you can build your own factories to make this stuff. Do they sell well , or could it be used for anything? :)

(ok ok... I won't ask any more questions for the next hour. Promise! :D )

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 21:10

jannix wrote:...
Is there any way in the vanilla game to change passengers -> Marines?
No,
or Slaves -> Marines?
No,
Or Passengers -> slaves? :)
Yes, 'enslave' them at pirate bases by going into your freight bay, highlighting the passenger and choose 'enslave'.
Hmm... come to think of it, I have another TC specific question. What does all those Marine Training barracks do?
They produce marines for you to 'buy'.
And is there any use for "Low yield sidearms" ? I see that you can build your own factories to make this stuff. Do they sell well , or could it be used for anything? :)...
Their only use is as resources in various places, such as Merc bases and Marine barracks.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 21:12

Borons are aquatic. Somehow I can't see that making a good soldier.

Gun? Check.
Armour? Check
Portable fishtank? Um...
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 21:14

Also, marine training barracks allow you to upgrade the skills of your marines.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 21:16

No, you can't train marines in the barracks, last I checked. You need to go to a Military Outpost, or one of the few equipment docks and trading stations that offer that service.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 21:19

Doh! I think your right, I was being a bit too keen there.

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 22:32

All my questions have been answered. Thanks guys! :) *hugs Nanook* :P

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 6. Aug 09, 22:37

mrbadger wrote:Borons are aquatic. Somehow I can't see that making a good soldier.

Gun? Check.
Armour? Check
Portable fishtank? Um...
Probably put fish bowls over their heads. :P

yourpowersareweakoldman
x3tc

Post by yourpowersareweakoldman » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 10:12

Borons are aquatic. Somehow I can't see that making a good soldier.

Gun? Check.
Armour? Check
Portable fishtank? Um...
Well it makes sense that any Marine of any species would be equipped with their own life support suit. Especially since they often have to space-walk to get to their target. I don't see why the Boron's life-support would be any more of a hindrance than anothers.

I don't know that I agree that being aquatic necessarily makes them poor marines. We're talking about Outer Space here. It's foreign territory to 'all' the species you know?

While I assume there is artificial gravity on those ships, I would also figure that defending units would turn off the artificial gravity and life-support to breeched areas as a defensive measure.

I would think that Boron aquatic nature would make them pretty adept in Micro-gravity. The lore tends to back up this idea that they move through space like they'd move through the water. Though I imagine swimming in liquids isn't even close to the same as 'swimming' in gasses.
Crystal Fabs make Crystals.
Quantum Tube Fabs make Quantum Tubes.
What do Ghetto Fabs make? BLING!

Snowship
x3tc

Post by Snowship » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 12:09

Wouldn't it be better to have a "Liquid Storage" ship clamp onto the victim and cut a hole, flood the whole ship then send the boron marines in? (marines still in environment suits)

Less fighting too, all the other races bar Xenon & maybe Kha'ak would drown... bar compartmentalising area which'd slow the flooding process but not stop it

+ side once the boarding is complete the ships well equipped for boron use :wink:
[ external image ]
Vanilla Malt Gamestarts
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire"

5c0rch!
x3tc

Post by 5c0rch! » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 12:35

Sure, If you want to destroy all the electronic equipment aboard and make the ship useless :P. Boron ships wouldn't have this problem, as most of the ship would be organic, thus rendering damage due to corrosion a non issue.

And as for boron marines, they all have their own water pressure suits they use, how do you think that they get around on other race stations?
A nuke a day keeps the enemies at bay! - Golden Wisdom
There is a thin line between meaningful posts and spam... I like to think I walk that line everyday.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 20:43

You're all assuming that since the Boron evolved in water that they're water breathers. They could very well be oxygen breathers like dolphins and whales, that developed tentacles instead of arms and legs to manipulate things and move about. Or even more likely, they're amphibians, capable of breathing both air and water.

And since they use all the same ship equipment as the other air-breathing races, I'd postulate that this is indeed the case, since all that gear is supposedly electronic-based. Besides, can you imagine the huge amount of inertia associated with having a ship full of water instead of air? Especially a Ray or Orca full of water? The ship would probably rip itself apart just trying to turn around fast. :o

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 20:46

Nanook wrote:You're all assuming that since the Boron evolved in water that they're water breathers. They could very well be oxygen breathers like dolphins and whales, that developed tentacles instead of arms and legs to manipulate things and move about. Or even more likely, they're amphibians, capable of breathing both air and water.

And since they use all the same ship equipment as the other air-breathing races, I'd postulate that this is indeed the case, since all that gear is supposedly electronic-based. Besides, can you imagine the huge amount of inertia associated with having a ship full of water instead of air? Especially a Ray or Orca full of water? The ship would probably rip itself apart just trying to turn around fast. :o
Sooo, what you're saying is they don't fight, but not because of any environmental reason. Are you inferring they don't fight because they're a bunch of hippie peacenics?

I've always suspected this.

The way the pirate Boron attack you then whine about you shooting back. I mean, it makes me soooo angry..
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 20:49

mrbadger wrote:
Nanook wrote:You're all assuming that since the Boron evolved in water that they're water breathers. They could very well be oxygen breathers like dolphins and whales, that developed tentacles instead of arms and legs to manipulate things and move about. Or even more likely, they're amphibians, capable of breathing both air and water.

Sooo, what you're saying is they don't fight, but not because of any environmental reason. Are you inferring they don't fight because they're a bunch of hippie peacenics?

I've always suspected this.

The way the pirate Boron attack you then whine about you shooting back. I mean, it makes me soooo angry..
My Boron mercenaries fight very well, thank you very much. :P

Don't be deceived by all that whining. It's just their way to get their opponents to misjudge them. :fg:

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 21:27

Never underestimate the Borons. Despite all their peaceful propaganda remember these are the psychopaths who decided that what their new TP really needed was a Silkworm-compatible missile launcher (though that does make it a rather good dropship for boarding ops & general mayhem).

Troubleshooter11
x4

Post by Troubleshooter11 » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 21:45

Crossbreed them with piranha's. That should result in blood thirsty ship capping Boron marines.

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 22:47

I always liked to imagine my Kraken to be filled with ammoniacal water and my poor terran arse having to float about in an environment suit, while the local boron ship crew gracefully swam about. :) While for split ships like the Cobra.. i can just imagine a horde of slaves in the lower deck scrambling in dim light to keep the missile tubes fed. And of course, poor spaceflys being slaughtered for that extra boost from the engines. :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”