[TC] Osaka (PSP)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Venutian

Osaka (PSP)

Post by Venutian » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 20:48

I was having hard time with the last mission of Final Fury so I decided to get an M2. I chose Osaka as I liked the 12GJ shield and energy regen rate. Hate running out of energy. Of course, the mission was a piece of cake.

But while effective, I noticed something with the Point singularity projectors. I was only able to equip 4 of them in the front and while firing them away at the Kha'ak Guardians, it would meet with the missile from the Guardian in the middle and all 4 PSP shots would explode. Forcing me to maneuver a bit and fire away from the incoming missiles.

I'm not sure if PSP's were intercepting the missiles or the missiles were intercepting the PSP's but even if they intercept each other, why would all 4 PSP shots explode? I didn't think it was proximity weapon? And more importantly, does Photon Pulse Cannon act the same way? If it doesn't have this handicap, I may consider Boreas. Does Boreas easily run out of energy?

Also, charging PSP's... just hold it down to charge?

dcampos

Post by dcampos » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 20:53

PSPs are just not interceptable by any means. They only explode when they colide with the target or reach the maximum firing distance.
You probably must be out of range of fire...

Venutian

Post by Venutian » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 20:56

I don't think so. Ship was within 6km range and the turret was within 4km range. And it would hit the target if there aren't any missiles. Definitely not range issue. And the missiles the Guardians were shooting I believe were Thorns.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 20:59

Charging PSPs/PPCs/IBLs/ICs (can be charged, right? didn't use them myself yet) is done by simply holding down the firing button.

I must say you were extremely unlucky to have all 4 shots eliminated on a missile (if that is what happened - the only other option is you ran out of range), but PPCs would face the same problem, only that they fire many more shots per minute, thus making it less prominent.

I don't know why you had a problem equipping PSPs, I know from personal experience that the Osaka can mount exactly what's advertised. I.e.: 8 PSPs in front, left and right guns.

Re: Boreas. Don't. Just don't. It'll ruin the fun for you in the long term. To answer your question: no, it doesn't run out of energy easily. In fact, I've never witnessed mine (while I still had it) run out of energy with all PPC batteries firing non-stop. Certainly not before any engagement was over. The total laser energy might have dropped by 2% after what felt like a minute of sustained fire from all 4 batteries, but as soon as one of them was relieved, laser energy went back to 100%.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

dcampos

Post by dcampos » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 21:02

Yes. If they colide with something they will explode too, but not the 4 shots at the same time.

Venutian

Post by Venutian » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 21:03

I must be really unlucky because it didn't just do it once but did it every time there was a missile in the path of PSP. Maybe it was just that mission I hope if nobody else experienced this.

And the problem I had with equipping PSP was finding it. Couldn't find more than 4.

Thanks for the answers.

dcampos

Post by dcampos » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 21:07

Unfortunately you will need to search in all terran space for them. In my game there is only 2 PSP and 1 SSC forge. Pretty difficult to find them...

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Mon, 17. Aug 09, 23:41

Unfortunately you will need to search in all terran space for them. In my game there is only 2 PSP and 1 SSC forge. Pretty difficult to find them...
In my previous game I ended using the Osaka rather than the ugly OTAS beast. Nice ship. Charged PSP are really fun.
But in my current unholy traitor start I founded only 3 SSC in many hours. Very frustrating. PSP are ok, I got 19 of them atm.
So availability of PSP/SSC seems to be different in every game.

*EDIT* Well, I forgot the "Cloning" exploit. Problem solved and my Osaka is now fully equipped with PSP and SSC :twisted:

Lord of Nothing
x3tc

Post by Lord of Nothing » Tue, 18. Aug 09, 22:14

Venutian wrote:I must be really unlucky because it didn't just do it once but did it every time there was a missile in the path of PSP. Maybe it was just that mission I hope if nobody else experienced this.

And the problem I had with equipping PSP was finding it. Couldn't find more than 4.

Thanks for the answers.
This also happened to me continually so you're not alone. I ended up turning the Osaka, so the PSP's were firing well to the side of the missle flightpath, and bringing SSC's to bear.
Skirnir. No counter-argument possible.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 07:43

First, missiles targeting box are pretty large, so are easily hit by incoming shots, even several at once. This is not PSP specific.
Second, PSP have a very slow rate of fire, which increase the chance of a miss or intercept.
Right on commander !

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 09:10

Sometimes capital craft weapons will hit missiles and explode prematurely, I've had it happen a couple of times with PPCs on my boreas, usually it takes a few shots out at once.

In fact CIGs are also prone to this on ocasion, basically any weapon with a slow rife rate which you would notice shots stopping prematurely.

Venutian

Post by Venutian » Thu, 20. Aug 09, 19:48

Fortunately, there aren't that many enemy crafts that spams missiles like the Guardian but with this issue as well as the SSC bug, I'm not so sure if Osaka was a good choice. It still does a fine job cleaning out a Xenon sector but have to resort to M/A Launchers instead of SSC.

dcampos

Post by dcampos » Thu, 20. Aug 09, 21:00

Venutian wrote:Fortunately, there aren't that many enemy crafts that spams missiles like the Guardian but with this issue as well as the SSC bug, I'm not so sure if Osaka was a good choice. It still does a fine job cleaning out a Xenon sector but have to resort to M/A Launchers instead of SSC.
The SSC bug do not happen always and if it happens just save, close the game and reload after. I have a Tyr armed just with PSPs and SSCs and rarely get this SSC bug. A Tyr armed with SSCs in all slots from the up turret, can kill a P with only two shots and a Q with 5 or 6 shots. I have cleaned several Xenon sectors with this ship without much hassle.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”