Playing with Turrets in TShips: MDS

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

OOZ662
x4

Playing with Turrets in TShips: MDS

Post by OOZ662 » Fri, 21. Aug 09, 09:05

I was mulling about and got rather irritated that the Argon don't have their own Miner TS. It's always just bugged me. With my recent introduction to the X3 Editor, I decided to have a whack at it.
I changed up the Mercury Tanker XL (most useless TS IMO) to reflect the stats of a Miner variant and got it all set. Changed the rear turret to SS_COCKPIT_SPECIAL to match with the Demeter and Vulture Miners...which I believe is a bug, since that cockpit mounts the three special lasers and the EMPC. So, I went through and changed them all to SS_COCKPIT_x_ALL_TS to reflect their race's preferences. All well and good. Except.

No matter what cockpit I choose, the Mobile Drilling System won't come through as compatible on any ship I edit. They'll be flagged to use the Tractor Beam and Repair Laser in-game, but not the MDS. I always thought those three were irrevocably paired together. Looking at TCockpits, the three do indeed show up together in both the above cockpits, but in-game they don't accept the MDS on any ship I've tweaked with. Note also that I am changing sector then spawning a fresh ship to check the results of these changes.

:?

EDIT: Okay, I lied. SS_COCKPIT_P_ALL_TS and SS_COCKPIT_T_ALL_TS do not have the three special lasers included (which I plan to fix!), but SS_COCKPIT_A_ALL_TS does. However, my mostly-spiffy new Mercury Miner with the SS_COCKPIT_A_ALL_TS cockpit will only use the Tractor Beam and Repair Laser in my game.

EDIT2: Wow, I suppose I'm even noobier than I thought. :oops: Turns out the tweaked turrets won't fire, either. I read a thread a while ago on this very problem, but didn't see the resolution and don't remember where it is. I'll go search... (Turns out that thread was by someone who merged a whole bunch of mods and screwed up quite a bit of his stuff. None of that business here. :D)

EDIT3: Out of curiosity, could I insert a new cockpit of my own creation (say SS_COCKPIT_MINER) and link it with these ships' turret without borking anything?

Here's a copy of my TShips and TCockpits files, if anybody wants to futz with them.

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Fri, 21. Aug 09, 11:28

EDIT3: yes, but place it at the bottom of the list, otherwise you are gonna screw up all the others. If you create some dummy entries to ease the updating of your mod in case the Egosoft guys add some new cockpits.

imho you can add compatible weapons to the "front" guns from the Tships and then change the cockpit of the turret to the DEFAULT (first one), this way the rear turret has the same compatibility of the front guns (that on mercury does not exist).

btw... are you using my mod's files? :? that looks like a bug of my mod. :roll:
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Fri, 21. Aug 09, 19:06

Ahh, workarounds... :D
someone else wrote:btw... are you using my mod's files? :? that looks like a bug of my mod. :roll:
Why yes, I am. You mean it's your files that cause issues when trying to change turrets?

If you mean about the SPECIAL cockpit...hmm...seems you snuck that one on me by adding the EMPC to it. Sneaky bugger. :lol:

So, any idea as to what causes all this or how to fix it in a not-work-around-y way? I'll be okay so long as it works, but it's nice to know how to do it right.

EDIT: No-go with the workaround. Still no Mobile Drilling System compatibility. I don't get it...

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Sat, 22. Aug 09, 12:47

maybe is only a strange behaviour of the weapon panel...

are the ships in question able to mount the MDS if you try to load it?

have you modified the MDS in some way? when the weapons are grouped together and one of them is too big (cargo class too high) to be mounted on a ship it does not display.

if the MDS has become ST cargo for example.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 22. Aug 09, 19:10

You know what? I decided to nix the Tanker XL because it only carries M cargo and I don't remember changing that flag... :o To the batcave! :lol:

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Sat, 22. Aug 09, 19:36

The rebalance mod makes tankers into, well, tankers - they're effectively meant as energy cell haulers so they're cheap, reasonably fast and have enormous cargo bays... however they've had the maximum cargo size reduced to M to ensure they're only useful for that kind of role.

IIRC the original idea was to reduce them to 'S' sized cargo until someone pointed out that they'd not be able to use jumpdrives ;)
[ external image ]

... old skool

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 22. Aug 09, 19:47

I'm very fine with that idea, but a Tanker XL is a bit much to me. Then again, I don't build uber-complexes that need half the energy in the universe, either. :D

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 22. Aug 09, 20:07

Alrighty, everything's working now! Except...that Mercury Miner's turret still won't fire. You can't use a HAT switch to spin your view about, either, though the view will rotate as you aim. That makes me wonder if my camera dummies are out of place or something...but I really have no idea ho those work.

The Demeter and altered Vulture (I changed its model over from being tanker-style to freight-style) Miners turrets both work, though.

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Sat, 22. Aug 09, 20:50

can it fire other guns? repair laser or tractor beam?

look ath the laser generator.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 22. Aug 09, 20:55

Nope, been trying to fire a PRG. Laser values are your default for the Tanker XL; 850MJ at 8MW recharge.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”