[TC] Ion Disruptors / Ion shard Railguns

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

johnhirix
x4

Ion Disruptors / Ion shard Railguns

Post by johnhirix » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 12:19

Has anyone tested these lasers ?

I used 1 Ion disruptor and fired upon a Centaur for several minutes, but its turrets are still functional, although shields are burnt to zero….any ideas? should the ID really destroy the turrets and systems or simply supress them for a short period of time?

And the Ion shard Railgun, how does it work? I haven't got my hands onto it yet.
:?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 12:28

Ion-Ds do destroy equipment, everything except 1 shield generator & built-in components (I think), not just guns. It does however take quite a long time. If the Centaur you were shooting still has all its guns after several minutes of frying I suspect some of its other equipment was destroyed instead. Have patience, it is possible to completely disarm an enemy ship using them.

ISRs do damage as normal weapons, but also have the additional effect of draining weapon energy. Most of the time the secondary function isn't all that noticeable. However, for example, if you fly something like a Hydra (which has relatively limited energy reserves & regen to start with) getting hit by them can be somewhat annoying.

jbigg
x3tc

Re: Ion Disruptors / Ion shard Railguns

Post by jbigg » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 16:19

johnhirix wrote: I used 1 Ion disruptor and fired upon a Centaur for several minutes, but its turrets are still functional, although shields are burnt to zero….any ideas?

If you think that's bad, I tried frying a Hyperion for several minutes with 8 of the damned things from my Skiron. The SOB still continued to pound me with his turrets. I finally said screw it, reloaded, and went back with my trusty Springy. I sent in 6 drones to keep him busy, sprinted into range, dropped the shields with MAMLs then sprinted back out of range. Switched my main backs to a single MAML, sprinted back in, dropped a couple more percent off his shileds and launched marines. Ship was mine within a few minutes. Much less hassle and time expended that I would've spent waiting for the Ion D's to their job.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Ion Disruptors / Ion shard Railguns

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 16:49

jbigg wrote:If you think that's bad, I tried frying a Hyperion for several minutes with 8 of the damned things from my Skiron.

Not really worth fitting 8 of them to an M6 - they'll drain the energy reserves in about 10 seconds (e.g. Skiron energy reserves= 14,500MJ / Ion-D power consumption= 164/second/gun). After that the weapon energy regen of most M6s means that attempting to fire more than 3 is pointless, best you can get is 2 firing continuously & 1 intermittently with a Skiron's energy regen (435MW).

Also it does take a significant amount of time & patience, particularly if the target has a lot of guns on board (e.g. Hyperion). Some NPCs also carry spare guns in the hold & install them to replace broken guns. It is however a useful technique to adopt in certain circumstances, for example, I have encountered Pirate M6s with PBGs installed in their turrets - personally would not be willing to let my marines go anywhere a ship armed like that while the turrets are still in working order.

Burzumoza

Post by Burzumoza » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 21:43

where u find that hypeerion? stil yet to encounter one in my game, and i mapped most of the universe.
ship? what ship? i see no ship? WHO SPAWNED THAT DESTROYER!!!!!

Thelic
x4

Post by Thelic » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 22:39

Burzumoza wrote:where u find that hypeerion? stil yet to encounter one in my game, and i mapped most of the universe.
There are only a couple chugging around at any one time, and they can be found in Paranid space.

Waste93
x3tc

Post by Waste93 » Wed, 30. Sep 09, 17:36

I actually found two at the same time in Emperors Wisdom. One of which was damaged. I set up satellites in Paranid sectors and checked them til I found one. As soon as I did I put it in my display window and gave the follow command. Worked pretty good for me.

Venutian

Post by Venutian » Wed, 30. Sep 09, 21:08

GCU Grey Area wrote:ISRs do damage as normal weapons, but also have the additional effect of draining weapon energy. Most of the time the secondary function isn't all that noticeable. However, for example, if you fly something like a Hydra (which has relatively limited energy reserves & regen to start with) getting hit by them can be somewhat annoying.
ISR's will drain your energy far quicker than it drains opponent's energy. ISR's are useless.

Venutian

Post by Venutian » Wed, 30. Sep 09, 21:11

Burzumoza wrote:where u find that hypeerion? stil yet to encounter one in my game, and i mapped most of the universe.
This is my theory from experience and haven't been confirmed but I believe each race is allowed limited number of ships in each class to float around the universe. So if you looked everywhere and still can't find Hyperion, I'd suggest capping or destroying another Paranid M6 and hope the next one that spawns is Hyperion. This is how I found mine. I couldn't find one anywhere for 3 days and as soon as I capped a Nemesis, one appeared.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 30. Sep 09, 22:45

You are right about limits per ship type, but I think the Hyp, HCP, etc all count in their own class. Just keep looking :)

Cheers.

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 1. Oct 09, 00:22

Venutian wrote:ISR's will drain your energy far quicker than it drains opponent's energy. ISR's are useless.
Useless? Certainly wouldn't call them that myself - they've worked fine on the ships I've used them on. Good amount of damage, decent range, high rate of fire & shot speed, which tends to make them more accurate than many of the alternatives, e.g. CIG. They're one of my favourite weapons for ships with sufficient energy to run them, M7s in particular.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”