M8 Missile Barrage woes

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

M8 Missile Barrage woes

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 17:02

Is there a problem with the M8 missile barrage command at stations IS? I have had M8s destroy stations OOS but they don't seem to work IS. They fire the missiles at the target then the missiles detonate just before they hit the target. :o

The first time I thought the station was out of range, but the second time I was 5Km away from the station and watched the missiles explode before they hit the station. Its like they are hitting an invisible barrier. :shock:

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 17:33

That's mainly the way I use to destroy stations and never had any issues. But generally I have to shoot more missiles than the theoretically calculated damage required. So, it seems that some missiles explode before hitting the station.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 18:04

My M8s carry 50 Tomahawks each, which means they can fire a 6x barrage. But for some reason all the missiles are detonating just before they hit the target. I've actually watch them exploding one by one, very frustrating to say the least. This has happen 3 times in sector, but no problems OOS. :?

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 18:41

they might be proximity detonation (I can not recall right now), and I think the detonation range is from the center of the model you shoot at in a sphere but the damage goes of the actual model being in the blast...so if you shoot at a particularly concave part the missile would go off and not do damage...I am not one to kill stations with missiles so this is all really guess work on my part, heh.
<X3tc 2.0> patched up to 3.1 (No BonusPack)
<X3ap>
I do not use scripts/mods.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 19:10

I'm guessing that it caculates hits differently OOS than IS. I'm going to have to do some more testing with this problem I think. :(

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 19:20

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:I'm guessing that it caculates hits differently OOS than IS. I'm going to have to do some more testing with this problem I think. :(
Might it be that some missiles are detonating on impact and this explosion is detonating the other missiles before they hit?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 19:39

mrbadger wrote:
SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:I'm guessing that it caculates hits differently OOS than IS. I'm going to have to do some more testing with this problem I think. :(
Might it be that some missiles are detonating on impact and this explosion is detonating the other missiles before they hit?
Don't think so as they tend reach the target in salvos, so once first batch detonate the next lot detonate afterwards etc. Besides I generally send in 2 bombers firing separate barrages to increase chances of hitting targets.

Thelic
x4

Post by Thelic » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 20:05

OOS all missiles hit the moment they are launched and cannot be intercepted.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 21:22

After doing some testing I think that the problem is range. If given the order to barrage target out of range they fire missiles too early. Bringing them in to around 25Kms of the target and they don't have a problem, all missiles hit the target. Seems weird that they don't work over 30Km. :roll:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”