All hail the humble dragonfly!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BDStyle
x3tc

All hail the humble dragonfly!

Post by BDStyle » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 17:18

As the only homing missile that my poor battered mercury can carry I'd like to pay tribute to the humble dragonfly missile.

Best missile at doing anything in particular it is most definitely not but if its all you've got then its a life saver.

I'd also like to give a big shout out to all those firefly missiles i have let loose. I didn't realise that dumb fire missiles could be useful until I played a game where I only fly my starting mercury through the storyline. Using missiles as forward guns is downright good fun :D

I'd also love to say a big thank you to our lardy friend the 100 cargo space taking lasertower and his 4 friends. Nothing says 'get off my tail' like 5 lasertowers and a swarm of fighter drones.

Finally, to Longhaul my sturdy little Mercury I raise a toast. The xenon can have a go, pirates can too but you've always got me out of trouble (even if I have to whip out a repair laser afterwards).

This game is best when you learn to use stuff its really not meant for. I'm not sure what i'll do in final fury but I'm very sure my mercury will manage it :D

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 17:21

Hehe, you will need a good load of mines too for Final Fury :roll:

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: All hail the humble dragonfly!

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 17:45

BDStyle wrote:As the only homing missile that my poor battered mercury can carry I'd like to pay tribute to the humble dragonfly missile.

Best missile at doing anything in particular it is most definitely not but if its all you've got then its a life saver.
Agree with those sentiments completely - really came to appreciate the Dragonfly when I was flying my Angel for the first couple of weeks of my current game. One of the things I liked most about it was that NPC factories almost invariably have 520 in stock (there aren't any equipment docks which buy them that I've found so far), so you can chuck them around in ridiculously huge quantities without ever worrying about running out. Think they're a big reason why I went past the 100,000 missiles fired stat a while ago, reckon at least half of those were Dragonflies.
I'd also like to give a big shout out to all those firefly missiles i have let loose. I didn't realise that dumb fire missiles could be useful until I played a game where I only fly my starting mercury through the storyline. Using missiles as forward guns is downright good fun :D
Yeah - dumbfires are cool too - personally love straffing capitals with big close range volleys of Tornado missiles & watching a line of explosions stitching their way down the length of the hull, though I had to upgrade my Angel to a Hydra to have that fun (worth it though).

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 18:08

Clearly the Mercury is overpowered and should be nerfed forthwith.

Seriously though, it's nice to read about someone "making do" and having fun in the process. Good on ya.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 15:35

I agree - Dragonflies and Wasps..

[ external image ]

- and a fast ship to carry them.. 8)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Super_Bob
x3tc

Post by Super_Bob » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 16:40

How in the hell did you get that screen shot!! :O

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 17:35

this is my preferred missile :)

Hammer Heavy Torpedo ( click image to make it bigger )
[ external image ]
Gaming PC
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V - CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
HSF - Corsair H100 - GFX - GTX-470
Memory - 8gig Corsair Vengence Black DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Monitor - BenQ 2400HD 24"
Case - CM Storm Stryker

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 17:47

Super_Bob wrote:How in the hell did you get that screen shot!! :O
Target it in space then press F3 :)

As much as the hammerhead is awesome I'm afraid I can't carry one let alone 100's :(

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 23:51

must say, I do like the idea of dropping Lasertowers, on the fly.. :D

- that has an almost Red Dwarf-like crazyiness to it.. :rofl:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 00:04

BugMeister wrote:must say, I do like the idea of dropping Lasertowers, on the fly.. :D

- that has an almost Red Dwarf-like crazyiness to it.. :rofl:
I sometimes used to do that in X2 when I was flying a Hydra in high level assassination missions. Used to find it fun to imagine the bridge crew of the target laughing at a puny little Hydra having the audacity to attack them - right up until that Hydra dropped a battery of laser towers right in front of them, with a combined firepower far greater than any M2 in the game. That was the thing about the X2 Hydra - only 2 guns on the outside, but you could pack several dozen in the hold ready to be deployed whenever needed (they made a pretty light show too).

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 00:56

Aye, it's a trick I learnt in X2 while doing the same thing. Mercury through the storyline.... I'll never do something as hard as the last missionin X2 in the mercury. The fine flight control required was nutty.

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 01:06

Dragonflys....bah! *fires off 1 shadow at BDStyle and continues on my merry way* :P :)

fintoozler
x3tc

Post by fintoozler » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 10:29

Octopus Raider + (2xAurora Missiles) > Kha'ak Cluster

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”