[X3TC] My first M6 - what to buy?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

costi
x3tc

[X3TC] My first M6 - what to buy?

Post by costi » Thu, 17. Sep 09, 20:43

So, I finally have enough cash to get myself an M6 :D

The question is: which one to get? ;) Can you recommend something as a good starting M6? Or maybe tell me what is your favourite one and why? The only catch is that it must be possible to buy one.

My current combat fleet is a Zephyrus TM loaded with 4 M3s (Adv. Barracuda, Adv. Perseus, Adv. Eclipse, Xenon L), I'm usually flying the Perseus in combat.

I have the Normandy mod installed and I'm running MARS, if that's any help.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 17. Sep 09, 20:47

Since the ship has to be buyable I'd say a Heavy Centaur or the Springblossom.

But my favorite M6 & Heavy M6 would be the Hyp and HCP.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 17. Sep 09, 20:59

For a good all round performance, the Advanced Centaur. If you're looking for a ship that can take a beating and still come out blasting, it always has to be the Osprey.

The Hyperion, mentioned before is nice, but hard to come by, since you have to capture it, and that takes a lot of effort so doesn't really count as a choice.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Thu, 17. Sep 09, 21:05

The Hyperion, mentioned before is nice, but hard to come by, since you have to capture it, and that takes a lot of effort so doesn't really count as a choice.
He He not if you've got the PHQ and RE'ed one then scrap a tokyo and you'll have enough gear to build 2 hyp's :wink:

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 17. Sep 09, 21:08

I'd have said the Heavy Centaur but I think it's the Skiron now... I can't quote you some statistic that says it is better than the rest , speed, lasers, shields BUT it survives.. having just come out of a defend station mission and engaged Js and Ks without missiles in a Hyperion with a four Heavy Centaurs and a single Skiron set as protect the Skiron was the only one to survive the encounter and to check if it was a fluke I tried it again against DOZENS of Pirate Centaurs and Ospreys and again it lived when everything else fell.

Don't ask me why, and hardly scientific but the Skiron got the job done where a Heavy Centaur just bled to death.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 06:16

I also like the skiron the best. It is not invincible but can take quite a beating. It is also faster than a lot of the bigger ships so it can out run them instead of fighting them. You can also do most passenger missions in M6s. But you need to read the dialogue before accepting the mission.

klingens

Post by klingens » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 06:21

For buyable M6s, the Skiron is the best all around imho. The Springblossom is better in terms of fighting but requires you to have done the Terran missions.

For capturable M6s, I'd say the Hyperion, some prefer the heavy Centaur tho

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 06:47

<see other "My first M6 posts">

When you get to kitting it out there are "what is the best loadout" posts

There is a how to capture using an M6 post just below this for when that comes up.

THEN when you get sick of it you can look around (likely on the first page) for "what is the best [first] M7" posts...along with a "why can't my M7 use boarding pods" post...

ANYWHO:

If you suck and need a crutch the springblossom is there to make the game easy for you (heavy M6 stats, cheaper than ALL the normal M6s and the speed of an M4/M5 to make sure you never die...unless either want to or you suck horribly at flying/retreating).

If you want a good ship that you don't have to steal/cheat/exploit to get...a centaur (or the heavy version) is a nice stater M6

The other ones are generally more difficult to use so don't get mentioned much.

I personally like the Heavy Hydra and the Heavy Dragon, former over the latter.
I like the looks of the HHydra and how if flies. You might need some wingmates with this one.
The HDragon's front guns firing CIGs like pistons just looks cool...and the deck-guns adding to the fight with flame-throwers or HEPTs looks neat from the cockpit. It has no tail-gun and that seems to cripple some people's ability to play the game...just a heads-up.
<X3tc 2.0> patched up to 3.1 (No BonusPack)
<X3ap>
I do not use scripts/mods.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 07:04

Try as you like. You end up with the Springblossom anyway for personal ship. :D Or you can be a hero and say 'i will not touch any Aldrin cheat ships'. Now that is a recomendation i'd say.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 07:08

....or you can steal a Hyperion and fire ze missiles.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 11:02

XanII wrote:Try as you like. You end up with the Springblossom anyway for personal ship. :D Or you can be a hero and say 'i will not touch any Aldrin cheat ships'. Now that is a recomendation i'd say.
Huh, I'm no cheat, I'm not touching the infernal Springblossom I fly an unshielded Octopus with no upgrades and a damaged hull and when I want to take on a Xenon Q, I just hold my breath wind down the window and throw pies at it..

XanII I've learnt not to criticise other peoples views on the game, it tends to lead to hostilities!! :(

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 12:14

Gavrushka wrote:I fly an unshielded Octopus ...
Hi,

I think 1MJ is allowed, so no poor spaceflies will crash on your windshield.

cu
Rainer

costi
x3tc

Post by costi » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 19:16

I'm using the "NPC Bail Addon" script (since I find it extremely anticlimatic in the vanilla game that a fighter pilot may eject, but the crew of anything bigger will never abandon ship no matter what) and finally managed to force a pirate Centaur to bail...

So now I have a badly-beaten Centaur that costs 6milion to repair and I'm wondering whether to keep it, or add another 500k and buy the Normandy. I'll probably go with the latter, since I didn't install the mod just to look at the shipyard entry :P

Anyway, thanks for all your help, gave me some good inshight into this class of ships.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 21:20

If you're doing the Terran plot, you might find another M6 interesting: The ATF-Vidar. Fast little ship that can take much abuse with a hard punch in dogfights. Tackled a Q once with it and won. The EMP guns may not look very frightening on paper - but you can nail down your fire-button for minutes without running out of energy. Okay, she can't use many different weapons or missles (I hardly use the latter anyway) but you can mount up to 10 guns plus 2 twin turrets.
However - since I haven't my HQ in my game yet, I came to like the ordinary Dragon - OK, she can't take much but if you keep in mind what you can do and what you better don't do, you will find any M6 a good choice. If you're still not sure - well, save your game and try some corvettes. In a few ingame days you probably will laugh about your question because you will then ask: Forget the M6 - which one is the best M2?

BTW: I don't think, the Springblossom is a cheatship! Who says, you MUST upgrade your engines to maximum?
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 21:38

Cpt.Jericho wrote:If you're doing the Terran plot, you might find another M6 interesting: The ATF-Vidar. Fast little ship that can take much abuse with a hard punch in dogfights. Tackled a Q once with it and won. The EMP guns may not look very frightening on paper - but you can nail down your fire-button for minutes without running out of energy.
But then again why underpower the Vidar with EMPs when you can put 10xMAMLs on, which ARE frightening on paper and in action. One volley will destroy smaller fighters and cripple larger ones, and you can fire them for a long time too as they are ammo-based. Only disadvantage is you can't put too many Ecells on board due to space being taken up by the ammo.

@costi
Back on topic, I'd concur with CPT.Jericho in recommending the Vidar, though that pirate Centaur you've capped is a great ship too because the pirate version is impressively maneuverable. (by strange coincidence, the only M6 as manoeuverable is... the Vidar again)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 18. Sep 09, 22:13

imperium3 wrote:
Cpt.Jericho wrote:If you're doing the Terran plot, you might find another M6 interesting: The ATF-Vidar. Fast little ship that can take much abuse with a hard punch in dogfights. Tackled a Q once with it and won. The EMP guns may not look very frightening on paper - but you can nail down your fire-button for minutes without running out of energy.
But then again why underpower the Vidar with EMPs when you can put 10xMAMLs on, which ARE frightening on paper and in action. One volley will destroy smaller fighters and cripple larger ones, and you can fire them for a long time too as they are ammo-based. Only disadvantage is you can't put too many Ecells on board due to space being taken up by the ammo.

@costi
Back on topic, I'd concur with CPT.Jericho in recommending the Vidar, though that pirate Centaur you've capped is a great ship too because the pirate version is impressively maneuverable. (by strange coincidence, the only M6 as manoeuverable is... the Vidar again)
You forgot the Vidar is one of only two M6s that can use Wraith missiles too (Hyperion Vanguard being the other) :twisted:

I also agree with the selection of the Vidar, but if you are up for it try to capture a Hyperion Vanguard (that can dock two fighters and has a massive cargo hold for an M6)
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Jovianmoon
x3tc

Post by Jovianmoon » Mon, 12. Oct 09, 21:04

My choice - Katana. After completing the initial Terran plot I sold my Vidar because despite its firepower it's just plain ugly. Considered the Springblossom (excellent speed, and ability to mount SSCs, but poor shielding and despite boresight fire the aiming is still way off for anything other than another large M6).

Then I bought a Katana. Less firepower and not that fast, but very good shielding, adequate forward weaponry with full rudder optimisation it has good aim even on darting M3s, and good overall performance. Until now its still my favourite ship in the game - of any class. Since it's easy to use and has reasonable offensive/defensive capabilities (ie it's pretty safe as long as you don't do anything dumb), I would recommend it as a good beginner's ship for those starting as Terran (or those who can gain early access to Terran shipping).
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:You forgot the Vidar is one of only two M6s that can use Wraith missiles too (Hyperion Vanguard being the other)
Not entirely true. The Katana packs Wraiths also.

Cheers.
Something I remember when entering Xenon space: My mother always told me to mind my 'P's and 'Q's...

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 12. Oct 09, 21:42

I flew the Vidar for a *long* time. There was just no reason to fly anything
else. It's small, highly manoueverable for an M6 and packs a wallop for
such a small ship. In particular it's weapon generator means you can fire those empcs
for a long time. Best of all, you get one free.

IMO the only M6 that really outclasses it is the Hyperion. The Springblossom
Supporters Club will tell you the Springy is the best ship, but I've never
been a fan because of its relative lack of shields and inabilty to actually turn
when travelling at speed.

(I stayed with the Hyperion for quite a while until I finally got my paws on a Panther.)

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Mon, 12. Oct 09, 22:59

Back in 1.2 I used to take many patrol mission in the same time, back then those missions spawned nearly a hundred M6 at high combat ranks. I can say I flought a single M6, the Vidar, that survived and made through that deadly ammount of hostiles, dancing between the enemies and graciously dodging their fire; that's how I'd describe the Vidar: A small, incredibly agile, with outstanding firepower and good shielding, not as fast as the Hyperion or the Springblossom, but much more hard to kill.

I've flown a lot of corvettes and I wouldn't change any other for the Vidar (as personal corvette).

And it's free! Just finish certain plot.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Tue, 13. Oct 09, 11:23

Good to see people still use ships like Katana, Centaur (different versions). Hyperion is fine too, after all getting one requires some skill. Springblossom is clearly out of its league. Vidar a bit too but since it's unique then i guess its fine. but no such defense for the Springblossom. Luckily AI pilots suck with the Springy, otherwise it would be a ultimate ship in the game in numbers.

But where are all the Osprey, Nemesis and other old school M6 lovers?
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”