[TC] Help me please - Moble Drill

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

L Dawggdiggadee
x3tc

Help me please - Moble Drill

Post by L Dawggdiggadee » Sat, 19. Sep 09, 23:16

How is this thing use, i have one and don't know how to use it, do i install it to my ship or does it work all by it's self?? give it to me step by step if you can, thanks everyone.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 19. Sep 09, 23:24

The Mobile Drilling System is to break up the large asteroids into smaller, collectable pieces. There is no Turret Command to target asteroids so you will need to manually point the turret at the asteroid and fire.

First of, install the MDS on a turret in a ship. If you install it in another ship which is not your current player ship, you will have to control it via the mini-monitor.
To control a ship on the mini-monitor, target the ship and make it display in one of the two monitors at the top of the screen. By default, your current target will be added to one of these. If not, use SHIFT+1 or SHIFT+2 to map the ship to the monitor. Press F4 to cycle through the monitors and F1 to cycle through the turret views.

If you added it to your player ship, use F1 to cycle to the turret where the MDS is installed. From there (considering the Turret has no current commands) you can control it and fire. You'll just need to manoeuvre your ship so an Asteroid is in view. Blow it up and then use any other laser to break it up further into smaller pieces, collectable by ships which have a 'Ore Collector' installed.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

L Dawggdiggadee
x3tc

Post by L Dawggdiggadee » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 00:27

Thanks it's all coming together

wizrd755
x2

Post by wizrd755 » Wed, 23. Sep 09, 01:01

Word of caution here...

Xenon_Slayer has it right. BUT, I'm running TC2.1 Vanilla and those "used" ships you can buy absolutely REFUSE to even collect rocks, much less use the MDS. Even the ones (Miners) I cap don't work correctly.

I think, not sure, it's been reported as a bug. It seems to me, cap'd or "used" ships with the with the "upgrades" to mobile mine and/or collect rocks already installed listed under, IIRC,"Installed" upgrades, flat just don't work.

Now, you can buy any "new" TS from a shipyard, add the software, and they work fine for collecting rocks and mobile mining as long as you have the proper equipment...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 23. Sep 09, 11:37

@ wizrd755: As far as I know, no ship will use the MDS to break a sector asteroid unless under direct player control. To break anything smaller than that does not even need an MDS as X-S said.

As to the used ships not mining/collecting, do you mean that you have the mining/collecting commands available in their command menu under Special Commands but they do nothing? In which case perhaps you haven't broken the sector asteroid yet so neither command will work or you may not have a laser mounted in the turret (necessary for mining), or perhaps you are trying to collect where there are none of the smallest size rocks (collect does not break larger rocks).

If these commands don't appear in the menu, then you may not have all the needed software (like Special Command software etc). If all that checks out then you probably have found a genuine bug although I can't see why a used ship would have a different base capability to a new one of the same type in program terms.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”