[TC] Are we towing boxes or basketballs?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Are we towing boxes or basketballs?

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 07:05

I've had to do a good amount of towing asteroids to set up complexes lately. I've noticed a few things and want to check to see your ideas about it. I notice that you can start the tow from almost any side of asteroid and it gets going. But if you start off in exactly the center of the side and altitude orientation of where you are going, there is very little wobbling and getting hit by the mine.

My question is this: Does Egosoft figure its calculation on the asteroid like its a box or like its a basketball?

It seems like it uses a basketball to me. So the various rotations happen because we aren't towing in the exact center, but are pulling (or pushing) off center. We go the right direction, but the off center push causes a rotation effect. Egosoft does many things exactly, so I'm wondering how far they went with this.

Any observations, pilots?
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

phoenix-it
x3tc

Post by phoenix-it » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 07:18

I thought they fixed mine towing in the last patch? Please don't tell me it's back to the spinning nightmare in 2.1...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 08:52

I would also ask what version you're using? The towed mine spinning out of control was something that was supposed to have been fixed in 2.1, as phoenix-it says.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Thanks.

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 09:05

I'm in 2.1. There's some effect, but I can live with it. That's one reason I was asking other people's experiences. Thanks for your quick reply.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Re: Thanks.

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 11:21

Bill Huntington wrote:I'm in 2.1. There's some effect, but I can live with it. That's one reason I was asking other people's experiences. Thanks for your quick reply.
In X3:TC 2.1 the station towing behaviour is *VASTLY* improved over what it used to be... I have successfully towed numerous mines since the patch with no adverse wobbling. (Terran variants only though if that makes a difference)
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 14:47

No spinning mines here at all and I'm towing some mines over 120km. Pre 2.0, and X3R, towing was a total mightmare. I got so annoyed with it in X3R I gave up on the idea and just bought all my ore/silicon from NPC mines useing CAGs.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 15:17

Same here, I've not had any spinning effects since 2.1, and I've dragged a lot of mines over the last few game days. But I always attach the beam at the front or at the back of asteroid, don't know if this makes any difference though.

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 17:42

The beam attaches to the point on the 'roid that you fire it at. When you start to pull it the asteroid tries to rotate so that point is the closest to your ship, in a 'realistic' manner. If you shoot off to the side a ways the asteroid's rotation will bee to fast and it will overshoot the center-point and wobble back and forth until it comes to rest in the proper orientation.
<X3tc 2.0> patched up to 3.1 (No BonusPack)
<X3ap>
I do not use scripts/mods.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 20:04

Just towed a mine in Savage Spur.

Point of tow was the round disc near the top of the tower.

Towed roids with different tow points.

Only variation is the roid endeavors to orientate itself so that the tower is directly behind the towing ship.No more "spin" after it has achieved that.

Ar986zi
x3tc

Post by Ar986zi » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 20:34

towed 6 in SS, no probs, fixed the beam at every angle on all 6 roids to that i had a nice semi circle around the SPP!! no probs to report

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Thanks.

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 02:18

Thank all of you for your responses. The info from Random Bandit and TTD is what I was looking for. Thanks again, all.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”