Tempest vs squash mine

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Tempest vs squash mine

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 08:49

If I fire off some tempest missiles, wil they home in on squash mines? I need a way to clear a bunch of them quickly.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 09:00

I am interested in the answer myself, didn't quite understand if (SQUASH) mines show up as enemy entities, and you have the time to react in an active manner.

Anyway, I just got into my Tiger and swept them off their spikes :)
Spoiler
Show
when I wanted to claim the Mamba - in Loomy's, IIRC
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 09:08

Squash mines don't appear on the gravidar until you've targetted them.
If they just showed up it would be easy.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 10:20

Hmm... Would missiles with manual detonation count? I guess Auroras and Windstalkers would be useful, but only if you: 1 know the general position of mines, 2 have plenty of missiles to spare, and 3 have a clear line/cone of fire (no rocks etc.)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 11:24

BeidAmmikon wrote:Hmm... Would missiles with manual detonation count? I guess Auroras and Windstalkers would be useful, but only if you: 1 know the general position of mines, 2 have plenty of missiles to spare, and 3 have a clear line/cone of fire (no rocks etc.)
tbh, I would do it differently..

Grab a hammerhead, or other suitable high-area of effect missile
Drop a drone where you want it blown up..

Shoot missile at drone.. and hope you werent in the blast range.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 12:07

I take the time to scout out the approx centre and size of the minefield. If I wished I could take it out using lasers, but instead I like sitting on the far side of the minefield from a gate used by groups of hostiles. When a suitable group appears, I launch a single missile with long enough range but not too much warhead against a hostile ship with no turrets to ensure I get their attention. They head straight for me generally solving the minefield and the group at one go.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 14:53

Yes, self-seeker missiles such as Tempest or Flail will hunt down and destroy Squash mines.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 15:10

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:Yes, self-seeker missiles such as Tempest or Flail will hunt down and destroy Squash mines.
Hurrah! Thanks, I shall go and buy some forthwith.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”