Flak Artillery Array on my Boron thresher

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gus man B
x3tc

Flak Artillery Array on my Boron thresher

Post by Gus man B » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 09:39

Hi

I found that the flak Artillery Array can be purchased from the
Spoiler
Show
Heavy weapons Complex
in
Spoiler
Show
PTNI
WOW it works wonders for my Boron thresher against fighters as will has help to drain shields on m6's and up. I was able to take out a Xenon m2 with this M7 with not much problem using everything from my PPCs CIGs and FAAs.

I read that there is An Alfa Flak and A Beta Flak. How do i tell which one i am using from the factory in the above sector?

Also does any one recommend a better M7 than the Thresher?
And can M8s dock with m7s that have A hanger?

Thanks
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Core i7 980X @ 3.33Ghz QPI (6 core)
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution Motherboard
Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
Crucial M4 128 & 256 SSD's
ATI Radeon R9 290x GPU
Water Cooled Via Swiftech and EK Waterblocks
Antec HPC 1000W Cont. Power Supply (Full Modular)
LG 10X BD-ROM, LITE-ON 24X Disc Drives

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 10:05

There's no Alpha and Beta weapon variants in TC, if that's what you're playing (assuming you are, with M7s). There is a Cluster Flak Artillery Array, which is a separate weapon produced at different factories. I don't know if the Thresher can use them.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 10:17

No you can't hanger a M8 bomber on an M7, only small fighters i.e. M5, M4 and M3s only. As for other M7s alot of people like to go with the Tiger or Panther as they are both good M7s. Personnally I prefer the Deimos or Agamemnon, both have 6GJ of shielding and can use PSGs which make them good OOS defence ships.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 10:48

Goldfinch wrote:There is a Cluster Flak Artillery Array, which is a separate weapon produced at different factories. I don't know if the Thresher can use them.
You forgot the most important point--namely, that Cluster Flak is absolute rubbish and small children will point at you and laugh if you try installing them on your ships. :-)

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 11:57

I loved using flaks on my Ody I could almost ignore fighters as long as I kept them in flak range.

However I got hit big time by the flak bug. So I am using other weapons for anti fighter defence, but they are not as good, eagerly awaiting 2.5.

Oddly the flak bug seems to effect some people more than others although I know it is also linked to the use of salvage insurance. I also partially blame my laptops poor frame rate.

I agree about Cluster Flak Arrays totally ineffective. A very few weapons in TC are useless and best avoided for example those Fragmentation Bomb Launchers I wonder will they be fixed later.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 13:06

The flak artillery array on any ship seems deadly. But the well known bug where it suddenly stops working for a while (causes no damage) and then starts to work again makes it a bit annoying sometimes. I switched to a paranid deimos this time around and carry 10 phased shockwave generators as back up in a landed blastclaw prototype (650 cargo space).

Gus man B
x3tc

Post by Gus man B » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 16:36

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:
No you can't hanger a M8 bomber on an M7, only small fighters i.e. M5, M4 and M3s only. As for other M7s alot of people like to go with the Tiger or Panther as they are both good M7s. Personnally I prefer the Deimos or Agamemnon, both have 6GJ of shielding and can use PSGs which make them good OOS defence ships.
Hi
I did not know that there is a way to get an "AGAMEMNON"
Any Ideas if that ship can be purchased at A ship yard or do I need to Cap that ship?
What is its Specs?
ATI Radeon R9 290x GPU

Gus man B
x3tc

Post by Gus man B » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 16:39

pjknibbs wrote:
Goldfinch wrote:There is a Cluster Flak Artillery Array, which is a separate weapon produced at different factories. I don't know if the Thresher can use them.
You forgot the most important point--namely, that Cluster Flak is absolute rubbish and small children will point at you and laugh if you try installing them on your ships. :-)
I see the Cluster flak does not work any way on the Thresher.
ATI Radeon R9 290x GPU

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 16:40

As far as I'm aware, the Aggy must be captured via boarding. I have yet to encounter or hear of another way of aquiring one in a vanilla game.
As to the Aggy's specs, they can be found here and here.
Last edited by Deadbeat_Spinn on Sat, 26. Sep 09, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 17:58

Sadly you can't buy the Agamemnon, it can only be aquired by capturing it. But it is worth it, one of the best M7s IMO, I've got 6 of them now. :)

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 18:44

pjknibbs wrote:
It works fantastically against swarms of incoming missiles. As the player seldom encounters that problem most call it 'useless'. Think of it as an anti-missile wall and not an anti-M3 and up fighter screen.
Gus man B wrote: I see the Cluster flak does not work any way on the Thresher.
Except for the up/dn turrets...it CAN mount them there. On 'missile defense only' they do very well. It also leaves some energy for the rest of your guns...yeah, imagine that, thought in a loadout instead of I N33dZ M0Ar FAA cuz I suX wIt Figter Escr0tz!!!!

Just A Note:
If you are putting PPCs AND FAAs on your Thresher you might want to look into a change of tactics/playstyle. You might find yourself incorrectly assuming the Thresher is crap if you do not use it with more thought than one would need in a Shrike, for example.
<X3tc 2.0> patched up to 3.1 (No BonusPack)
<X3ap>
I do not use scripts/mods.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”