[SCR] MEFOS Weapon System [19th April 2010 X³:TC 3.2.03]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

taukarrie
x3tc

Post by taukarrie » Sat, 17. Jul 10, 02:41

on M6 and smaller ships will this script pull weapons from the main laser bays for use in turrets during auto switching?

lets say i have a blastclaw with 4 PACs loaded in the 4 main weapon slots and no extra PACs in the cargo hold. if one of my turrets is set to pull 2 PACs but the only ones available are loaded in the main laser bays will it pull two from there leaving the main laser bay with only 2 PACs instead of four?

Saetan
x4

Post by Saetan » Sat, 17. Jul 10, 06:29

MEFOS should only use unused weapons which are in the cargo bay. No installed lasers should get "robbed" from other turrets or laser bays. Of course, if you (or MEFOS for the turrets, not for the main lasers) uninstall lasers from their bays, they get available for MEFOS to be used in the turrets.

taukarrie
x3tc

Post by taukarrie » Sat, 17. Jul 10, 11:48

Saetan wrote:MEFOS should only use unused weapons which are in the cargo bay. No installed lasers should get "robbed" from other turrets or laser bays. Of course, if you (or MEFOS for the turrets, not for the main lasers) uninstall lasers from their bays, they get available for MEFOS to be used in the turrets.
awesome thanks.. im still not clear on how/when the auto switching occurs and how much control i have over it. (havent played with it yet) but im hoping i can do things like set a bomber turret to arm a HEPT when it engages M6's and a PBE when engaging fighters without the worry of hitting keys myself.

btw, this whole script collection is truely remarkable. i didnt even think half of these things were even possible in this game.

Saetan
x4

Post by Saetan » Sat, 17. Jul 10, 11:58

MEFOS has different turret commands for automatic turret control. You can also set hotkeys for manual changes of the main lasers.

For automatic turret controls, MEFOS decides on the target which available lasertype should be used and therefore will change to them.

There is also a MEFOS turret command which allows more control over the command itself. It should let you control over preffered targets, for example. But as it got introduced after I took a X³-playing-break I can't tell you details about it.

taukarrie
x3tc

Post by taukarrie » Sat, 17. Jul 10, 12:29

sounds good. ill have to do some testing to find out whats possible. one more question, if you please..

i know i saw somewhere in this thread that auto switching chooses the best weapons to use when the ship is engaging in OOS combat. I am about to start using Gazz's OOS Combat Rebalance.

in this script he has specifically made it so that pilot experience from CODEA pilots affect the outcome of OOS battles. My question is does the MEFOS turret autoswitching OOS consider the vanilla OOS values when deciding on the best weapon selection or should the values used by OOS rebalance script take precedence?

Or it may not even make a difference depending on how the scripts work. I realize you may not be familiar with the Rebalance script but a wild quess would be comforting enough :)

Saetan
x4

Post by Saetan » Sat, 17. Jul 10, 19:39

I don't know how Gazz' OoS Rebalance affects OoS battle ... but I can tell you, how MEFOS will work OoS:

At least in vanilla lasers always hit their target. The agility, the speed of the target and the speed of the lasers aren't involved into the calculations.
So MEFOS will always install the most powerful available lasers into the turrets, if the ship is OoS.

Durandal
x3

Post by Durandal » Sun, 18. Jul 10, 05:32

I'm trying to configure this on the M7M I have in my CODEA carrier's battle group. The default CODEA missile frigate scripts have my Aquilo unloading like 20 Hammers and 100 flails on enemy M6. Of course the M6 dies horribly but its quite a task keeping the Aquilo stocked...

Anyways I want this Aquilo to be under the control of CODEA but use the MEFOS missile turret controls. Is this possible? I've tried setting up the turret conditions and assigning the turrets to use MEFOS: Special Command instead of the CODEA command. The first time I tried it I had M7M long-range attacks enabled in the CODEA console and the Aquilo refused to fire on its designated targets. I then tried turning off the M7M long-range attacks with the same results. I should mention that I do have all the required crew aboard the Aquilo. What am I doing wrong?

I cancelled the MEFOS turret commands and switched M7Ms on in CODEA and my Aquilo is back to killing ants with nukes.

taukarrie
x3tc

Post by taukarrie » Mon, 19. Jul 10, 01:59

im not seeing any turret auto switching going on..

currently flying a OTAS Skiron. ive got all require MEFOS personel on board as well as the MEFOS software. All 3 of my turrets are set to Weapon System: Protect Ship, and all of the "Guidelines for special Command" are set to Primary target All and no alternative search with a 2324m range.

Weapons currently onboard available for the turrets are 2 Phased repeater Guns and 4 HEPTs. My main laser bays are full as well but that shouldnt affect the turret stuff.

i tested things out by starting a fight with an Argon M1. a target like that should clearly be better suited for HEPTs over Phased repeaters so i expected the Phased repeaters installed in my rear turret to change to HEPTs when i turned my rear to the M1. Alas the change occured and the phased repeaters were firing. i danced around the M1 for a bit and nothing changed

did i do something wrong? is it just that the phased repeaters stay installed because there are no additional HEPTs? i guess i just expected the HEPTs and Phased repeaters to constantly switch positions during the battle, keeping the HEPTs installed in my turrets facing the M1 while keeping the phased repeaters in the turret that was not facing the M1.

maybe i just need the nature of the autoswitching feature more clearly explained.

And also, How is it determined which weapon is "best suited" for a target? size/speed of the craft vs bullet speed/damage of the weapon? id just like to have a better idea of what weapons i can expect to be switched to when engaging different targets.

thanks!

Saetan
x4

Post by Saetan » Mon, 19. Jul 10, 07:30

taukarrie wrote:did i do something wrong? is it just that the phased repeaters stay installed because there are no additional HEPTs? i guess i just expected the HEPTs and Phased repeaters to constantly switch positions during the battle, keeping the HEPTs installed in my turrets facing the M1 while keeping the phased repeaters in the turret that was not facing the M1.
See one of my posts above:
Saetan wrote:MEFOS should only use unused weapons which are in the cargo bay. No installed lasers should get "robbed" from other turrets or laser bays. Of course, if you (or MEFOS for the turrets, not for the main lasers) uninstall lasers from their bays, they get available for MEFOS to be used in the turrets.
Lasers which are installed in any of the turrets won't get removed, to be used in another turrets. "Best variant" (of course not the "lowest freight in cargo bay variant") would be to take as much of the laser types with you, which could be installed at max.

Saetan wrote:And also, How is it determined which weapon is "best suited" for a target? size/speed of the craft vs bullet speed/damage of the weapon?
I can't tell you the exact routine which decides about switching ... but your describtion fits quite well for the standard commands. With the new special command you have more options to determine how the switching should be handled. But again, as I don't play X³ anymore at the moment, and that command was introduced after starting my break, I have no expirience with that special command.

taukarrie
x3tc

Post by taukarrie » Thu, 29. Jul 10, 02:45

is there something special i need to do to get the "special" command available as one of my cjoices for a turret command?

ive got all required personel, flight command software mk1 and 2, cargo life support and the MEFOS software installed.

i have all these requirements met on three M6's (one of them is my player ship), a TL and two M8's. however, the Special command option only appears ont he TL and my player ship M6, and its greyed out on both so i cant even select it. on the other two M6's and two M8's the command doesnt appear at all on the list.

i double and tripple checked the crew and software requirments and made sure they were present. but i cant get even one ship turret to be set to the Special command.

i really only wanted this for my M8's. but i should be able to do it on all of these ships.

Cith
x3tc

Post by Cith » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 01:35

Does this affect firing rate? In vanilla PRG's and other fast firing weapons will only be firing around 20% of their potential rate (tapping bursts) instead of full auto. Does this script change that behavior or do I need to look for other scripts to fix this?

Also, is deleting a slot and then 'recording' your current setup into that slot with the hotkey the preferred way to save? I can't seem to get the layout saved by using the menu option.

Thanks
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man how to fish and he'll eat yours.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 01:44

go into the MEFOS menu and you'll get the 8 slots of weapon loadouts you can make. CHOOSE 1 of them, then go down to the second option you get. set up or change weapon group. From there it depends on what ship your running really. I only use this on ships that can mount front turrets and are under the players control. If you have MARS set up already for turrets the other turrets not in your control will take that slot up. If you don't have MARS then you got the usual options and also the special command for the MEFOS. In order to save the record all you need to do is exit and do nothing else. At least that's how I do it and it works just fine

Cith
x3tc

Post by Cith » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 02:30

Requiemfang wrote:go into the MEFOS menu and you'll get the 8 slots of weapon loadouts you can make. CHOOSE 1 of them, then go down to the second option you get. set up or change weapon group. From there it depends on what ship your running really. I only use this on ships that can mount front turrets and are under the players control. If you have MARS set up already for turrets the other turrets not in your control will take that slot up. If you don't have MARS then you got the usual options and also the special command for the MEFOS. In order to save the record all you need to do is exit and do nothing else. At least that's how I do it and it works just fine
Ok, I was probably too fast with the menus, it seems like I have to wait a little while after setting the layout for it to be saved.

I still wonder about the RoF issue ^ though :)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man how to fish and he'll eat yours.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 03:14

I haven't noticed rate of fire reduce at all. More or less the people in control of the turrets and guns seem to use them more intelligently. Say if your in a large ship like a M7 or an M2, M1 and fighters get close to your ship they automatically switch out guns that are more orinated towards larger and slower targets.

See as an example I have a Tyr and it's loaded with Singularity projectors, M/Am launchers, SBC and EMPC. Usually when the fighters get close enough it switches out the singularity projectors and M/Am launchers with the SBC and the EMPC. But this depends on the class of the target. If there are a lot of M3's around attacking me the personal tend to choose M/AM launchers and the SBC over the other two.

Also as with the Commonwealth ships accuracy with the Flak Artillary array and the Cluster Flak array tend to be very bad compared to the other anti-figher weapons. Terran SBC is much more accurate and the Paranid Phased shockwave gen

Cith
x3tc

Post by Cith » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 03:40

Requiemfang wrote:I haven't noticed rate of fire reduce at all...
I didn't want to imply that this script would reduce the firing rate. All I was asking was if it'd fix the vanilla behavior where fire rate is ridiculously slow with fast weapons such as the PBE and the PRG.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 03:49

Hmmm... honestly I don't know :oops:

Wilson-MG-
x4

Post by Wilson-MG- » Mon, 9. Aug 10, 08:42

Can you explain how the Commands work a little more clearly? I see Commands in my ship's AP Console, which seem to override my weapons groups when I set them. I also see guidelines both at the top level of the configuration and in each weapon group when Special Command is chosen. Many of these settings seem to reset themselves so I'm not sure what's working and what's not. I have all the personnel and all other requirements.

Argon Colossus M1 (all MEFOS and crew requirements met)

PRG = Phased Repeater Gun
CIG = Concussion Impulse Generator
FAA = Flak Artillery Array
PPC = Photon Pulse Cannon

T1 (Front)
1 - 4xPRG = Fighters
2 - 4xCIG = Capitals/Bombers

T2 (Right)
1 - 4xFAA = Fighters
2 - 4xPPC = Capitals/Bombers

T3 (Rear)
1 - 4xPRG = Fighters
2 - 4xCIG = Capitals/Bombers

T4 (Left)
1 - 4xFAA = Fighters
2 - 4xPPC = Capitals/Bombers

T5 (Top)
1/2 - 2xFAA = Missile Defence

T6 (Bottom)
1/2 - 2xFAA = Missile Defence

The goal is to switch from an Anti-Fighter role (1) to an Anti-Capital/Bomber role (2). Obviously the targeting priorities need to be switched when the weapons are switched.

Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but there's a bug when you change the Commands within groups it changes the displayed weapon in the other turrets. Not really a big problem, I just wrote down what weapons belonged in what turret # and ignored what it displayed.

UPDATE

I figured out what the problem(s) was/were...

If I selected any options from the main console, it would override both the weapons configurations of my groups and the target priorities.

I also learned not to use the "save" option under the group configurations, this was resetting my targeting priorities to None, which was what my console settings were. I was clicking that every time because I thought you had to to get the configuration saved.

This is what worked...

-Make sure to delete any saved (Occupied) weapons groups.
-Make sure your overall Console commands for turrets are set to None.
-Set up your weapon group under your ship weapons.
-Record by pressing the assigned hotkey.
-Go into the configuration, set target priority under Command for each turret (Either Fighters, Capitals, or MD worked for me), then just back out of the menus, DO NOT click to save weapon group.
-Repeat as necessary.

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Sat, 9. Oct 10, 23:17

Sorry for being a noob here, but i just installed this and on my M3 the rear turret is unusable, even manually! As far as i know MEFOS isnt active on my ship, nor do i have any gunners, nor have i selected any of the ship commands related to MEFOS.

Is this script "forced on", which results in me being unable to use the turret the "old fashioned way", or is something wrong with my noobishness? :shock:
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Sun, 10. Oct 10, 00:05

MEFOS in order to use the turrets you need personal, for fighters all you need is the required gunners for how many turrets are on the ship. Some M3's don't have turrets while some have 1 or 2 turrets. As for the weapon selector part of the script you assign a hotkey to the group and then hit it for easy weapon loadout switching. Like if you have a loadout of Impulse ray emitters or particle accelerators cannons. Also another thing to remember is to put the hotkey up for the menu for MEFOS to a key as well as hotkey for the transport ships that allow you to hire personal (this allows you to know the location where a transport craft will land next and anticipate it's arrival in order to hire the needed personal.)

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Sun, 10. Oct 10, 03:11

But, i didnt select any Mefos weapon system command, just the default vanilla turret command, yet the turret is completely inert.
I guess i can just manually uninstall the script, but i was under the impression that it would not require gunners etc unless you actually use the shiny red "Weapon System: blahblah" commands in your turrets, or configure your ship with the Mefos config screen.
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”