Which ships & I am looking at M7's is the best ship to take out a khaak destroyer?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Captain Kremen
x3tc

Which ships & I am looking at M7's is the best ship to take out a khaak destroyer?

Post by Captain Kremen » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 22:47

Any ships of choice and weapon loadouts for battling those tough khaak destroyers?
Don't try to appeal to my good nature --- I haven't got one

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 22:56

Out of the M7's I'd go with a Tiger, Panther, or Shrike. As for weapons IBL's, GC's, and FAA's. But personally an M2 may be a better choice.

Captain Kremen
x3tc

Post by Captain Kremen » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 23:12

cheers guy - I dont have enough money for an M2 yet but getting there just got a few missions with khaak destroyers in them and I am getting my *rse handed to me so any help on getting rid of the troublesome destryers would be greatly appreciated - lost a heavy dragon to them already!!

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 23:26

I almost always end up with a Panther with front-loaded IBLs. Highly versatile ship, especially when combined with the MARS script.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 23:31

If you don't mind the "strategical retreat" maneuver, Panter with IBL, PALC or combination of those is your ship. Tiger actually would be less great because of its fixed front weapon mount and the fact that you would be turning around like crazy somewhere in the middle. Shrike could be OK but I had some bad luck in it in khaak sectors. I would also try Thresher with PPC.

Seleucius
x3tc

Post by Seleucius » Mon, 5. Oct 09, 00:56

Captain Kremen wrote:cheers guy - I dont have enough money for an M2 yet but getting there just got a few missions with khaak destroyers in them and I am getting my *rse handed to me so any help on getting rid of the troublesome destryers would be greatly appreciated - lost a heavy dragon to them already!!
A solid replacement for an M7/M2 is an M8. About 1/10th the pricetag, can level literally anything from 40km away, and you don't even have to fly it or worry about getting all your guns lined up. Or, if you need something more versatile, an M7M can do the same heavy lifting as well as anti-fighter duty and boarding ops, but behind capital-class shielding.

Both the M8 and M7M missiles are readily available at EQ docks, but you'll probably want to build some factories to make them, considering how fast you can go through ordnance and the hefty price of the missiles. Any of the ships mentioned above would do well in combat with KM2s, but the advantage of using an M8/M7M is you can start combat from 40+km and whittle down overwhelming numbers to something more manageable before they even get near weapons range.

Gilesey
x3tc

Post by Gilesey » Mon, 5. Oct 09, 01:05

Seleucius wrote: A solid replacement for an M7/M2 is an M8.
Depends where you are. M8s are OK in normal space, but if you're taking the destroyers on in Khaak space, you wouldn't last more than a couple of minutes due to all the fighter and scouts that keep spawning.

Captain Kremen
x3tc

Post by Captain Kremen » Mon, 5. Oct 09, 22:38

thanks chaps I was thinking of a tiger but the panther may be preferable from what i have seen
I do have a claymore and Vidar but have struggled to get decent missiles for them in big quantities. I will give a Panter a go

The Iron Duke
x3tc

Post by The Iron Duke » Tue, 6. Oct 09, 01:02

Buy an M7M and cap as many M2s as you want. Low cost. (Until u equipe them).
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me." (Sir Athur Wellesley, viewng the Connaught Rangers, eve of Waterloo.)

Icecola
x3tc

Post by Icecola » Tue, 6. Oct 09, 03:44

Againts khaak many (not all thou) of missiles goes on waste disposal due to those "insta-hit" kyon beams. And since it appears that you ain't on massive missile production phase either, any m7 that can mount forward IBL or PPC would do, so tiger, panther thresher and shrike will fare just nicely.
-Tiger is particularly good due to it's relatively good weapon generator + 12 IBL (8 + 4) shooting forwards. No fighter bays thou. Panther has grazy fighter bay cap, 32 ships IF you're willing to put em againts khaak destroyer.
-Shrike has lousy weapon generators but can mount GC on turrets.
-Thresher, well 10 PPC front, enough said. So it has clear range advandage specially againts khaak destroyers. Beware of energy comsumption.

Taking single khaak destroyer is easy speacially if it is flying heads on towards you. And if there are many, just use speed the get some head room to take em one by one.

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Tue, 6. Oct 09, 03:47

Good advice. Nice to see a Thresher pilot out there.
Learn to use stickies. Look here for mods for X3TC and here for guides across everything since X2. If you haven't read the Forum Rules do so before we beat you with sticks. Above all have fun.

Captain Kremen
x3tc

Post by Captain Kremen » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 00:56

I went for a panther in the end but I have fitted iron shard guns and 2 phased array lasers you can do large orbilyts around the destroyes and the phased arra will shoot them from 6.5km away whilst the iron shard cannons take out corvettes and fighters - seems like a good combo I havent found any IBLs in my universe yed where is a good place and what are the advantages of using other weapons over the iron shard guns?

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 05:54

Regarding IBL's:
Spoiler
Show
In my game, there are two IBL factories in Weavers Tempest and one in Looma-Nickstrat's Legacy (although I'm not sure whether the latter still exists).
I'm thinking of buying a Panther, and I have enough IBL's to fit them everywhere where they can go, but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to do so. I was thinking about 6 IBL's in the front turret, 2 each ISR's left and right, and FAA's in the rest. Does that sound reasonable, or are the ISR's unnecessary?

TEA_Cypher
x4

Post by TEA_Cypher » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 09:02

I would also suggest loading up on Wasp's and spaming the KM2 with them, will help keep the kyons off you for a little while.
Green Wing 'Swiftshire' - KIA

kilo69

Post by kilo69 » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 17:06

I used a Shrike with 10 Lasertowers as Decoy/extra firepower.

Took 2 KM2's on at once... although I hid behind the Lasertowers to do it... lost 4 LT's though... but I lived and blowing up one M2 paid for the lost towers!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”