Is there any FREESPACE 2 BEAM mod for X3:TC?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

e0s888

Is there any FREESPACE 2 BEAM mod for X3:TC?

Post by e0s888 » Wed, 21. Oct 09, 18:04

Hi,
I have a question to anyone who know something about FREESPACE 2 BEAMS in X3:TC. Is there any mod wich add to the game beam weapons like this one from freespace 2? I found some beam weapons mod but all of them were very small like kayon alpha...

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Wed, 21. Oct 09, 18:56

OH GODS DONT GIVE THEM MORE BEAMS...

Seriously. Dont.

Beam weapons kill people. It removes the fun of the game, and thats not something you want. No matter how cool you think beam weapons are, they really arent.

Its not worth it.

e0s888

Post by e0s888 » Wed, 21. Oct 09, 19:33

Hmmm, I think the game with beams are more interesting, but it depends on beams and players. For me beam like kyon gamma are boring and as you say kill the game fun, but beams like those from freespace 2 are great - sound and graphic effects was awsome (moment when beam was recharging was best in my opinion). In freespace 2 fights between capital ships was very dynamic and also beutifull. I think mod like that for people who would like to have real-awsome beams in game would be perfect.

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Wed, 21. Oct 09, 20:17

To do that would require a rebalance of every ship in the game. The Player's big advantage over the AI is that he can strafe, thereby dodging 99% of the enemy's fire...you cannot strafe out of the way of beam weapons. Shields and hull strength would need to be changed, generators to match them, along with strengthening all of the other weapons so that they don't all become as effective as an IRE.

e0s888

Post by e0s888 » Thu, 22. Oct 09, 13:31

I think they could be more effective and also don't interrupt game fun. As fresspace 2 player know, there were 2 types of beams: 1. Anti - Capital (In X3 it should have very slow tracking movment - so they can't attack fighters and properly set odrers to attack first M2, M1, M6 ; damage should be a little better then kyon gamma - for middle powered beam) and 2. Anti - Aircraft (like kyon alpha/beta damage). I think in this way we don't have to change all ships data and scare of short, unfunny battles. AND beam should be mounted only in m7 or bigger ships. I saw a mod wich gaves beams for fighters and it was really hard to fight with 20 other fighters when they hit you 90 % accurate.

I found this on yt, it shows beam from fs2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg5I7JvZxWo

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 22. Oct 09, 18:02

Believe it or not, my problem with beams stemmed from the fact that when I changed the PPC into a beam weapon (it was balanced to the point where it was useless against smallships, for the record), the player could not compete unless he had
a)more guns and
b) more shields.

You DO NOT want this. Because in a game like x3, that means one race will still have the same equipment as you.. Trust me, its not what you want.

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Thu, 22. Oct 09, 18:09

That's actually (or was supposed to be) what made the Kha'ak such a shock to the player in X2, and what actually made them a "deadly threat" was their use of beam weapons. They seem to be somewhat toned down in TC, but making any kind of beam weapon effective and making it available for use to the player means that someone else in the universe is going to be packing a weapon that can kill you just as easy as you can kill them. That sounds all well and dandy, but...next time you're in an equal-class fight (especially a capship fight), don't use strafing at all. You'll likely note it doesn't turn out too well if you don't have a MASSIVE advantage over your opponent. That's what powerful (read: useful) beam weapons are like in the hands of the AI.

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 22. Oct 09, 23:17

Try the Ion Cannons from the CMOD. They have been converted to beams and for me are very reminicent of the way beams were implimented in Freespace 2.

They are not continuous. You get a couple of seconds of powerful beam and then they take a while to recharge. They look and sound great!

Its almost exaclty how I remember the old Freespace beams to be.

e0s888

Post by e0s888 » Tue, 27. Oct 09, 17:41

Hmm... So it look like you had right guys, it is a shame that X3TC engine disallow to create properly balanced beam mod like those from freespace 2... :(

I tried this Ion Cannon from Combat Mod 3 and it looks as you said paulwheeler awsome. But it could do a little more hull damage...

PS. Lancefighter did you create beam mod?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”