changing the docking size of existing ships

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrwHem
x4

changing the docking size of existing ships

Post by DrwHem » Fri, 23. Oct 09, 17:56

I want to make my battlestar pegasus able to dock M6 corvettes and M8 bombers along with mistral super freighters. using x3 editor how do i do that?

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 23. Oct 09, 19:22

You can't.

You have to edit the ship's scene file in gmax/3dsmax to put the appropriate docking parts (M8/M6, etc) on the carrier.

DrwHem
x4

Post by DrwHem » Fri, 23. Oct 09, 23:51

if i changed an M8 ship to register as an M3 would it be operated like a bomber or not?

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 03:27

No, then it'd be a heavily shielded gimpy M3.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 11:15

You can change any ship to be an M3 to the game, but what will happen is that the docking of it will probably kill both ships, since the model of the changed ship wont fit in the docking bay.

The carrier has to be changed to use a hanger model which will accomodate all TS/TP/M6/M8 models. I'm not sure there is one actually.

As a side note, anyone who can fix the Galactica will be a hero to many.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 12:49

It would be a M3 (ok that's predictable) but it could still operate like before... so you are wrong.
if i changed an M8 ship to register as an M3 would it be operated like a bomber or not?
Yes it can act like a 'bomber'. You can still launch barrages or use the missileturrets and of course use tomahawks. There is no difference if it is classified as M3. Only the dockingcapabilities.
You can change any ship to be an M3 to the game, but what will happen is that the docking of it will probably kill both ships, since the model of the changed ship wont fit in the docking bay.
very likely, so changing the thing to M3 isn't a real option.
However -
The carrier has to be changed to use a hanger model which will accomodate all TS/TP/M6/M8 models. I'm not sure there is one actually.
There is one hangar model that allows every shiptype (except capitalships - TL;M7;M2;M1)
You can find it at some Supershipyards (e.g.Boron and Split) and at the Aran. Normal Carriers are too small to use this model.

You can also change the stats of the hangarbays in the Dummiest.txt but it wouldn't be different to changing the ship from M8 to M3 - it could still be killed while docking/undocking

Edit: BTW - http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=257062
The mod you are looking for ;)
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 14:11

Killjaeden wrote:
It would be a M3 (ok that's predictable) but it could still operate like before... so you are wrong.
Yes it can act like a 'bomber'. You can still launch barrages or use the missileturrets and of course use tomahawks. There is no difference if it is classified as M3. Only the dockingcapabilities.
I'd like to test this, since as far as I know the classification in TShips determines whether a ship will have said "Barrage" scripts available. I'll do it next time I have time (later today).

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 15:51

The only thing that is necessary to have the barrage command available is to have a "variation index" of 20 ...
Independent of what shipclass you have.
Even if you don't have a Missileturret you can have this command.
I tested a few prototype designs (M2M and M6M; works flawless...) to see what is possible/usefull
[ external image ]
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 16:44

I had forgotten all about the Variation Index...doh.

DrwHem
x4

Post by DrwHem » Sun, 25. Oct 09, 03:25

im not even sure where to put this question because it involves 3 different mods. Basically i just want the ability to have CODEA bombers on my battlestar pegasus from the apricot merge mod. If i make the assault raptors capable of carrying tomahawk heavy missiles will they be able to count as codea bomers under that system? or will they at least use them intelligently (i.e. not firing them from 25km away) or i could change the raptor to an M8 but then the carrier may not think it can dock it...i dont know :(

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 25. Oct 09, 03:42

DrwHem wrote:im not even sure where to put this question because it involves 3 different mods. Basically i just want the ability to have CODEA bombers on my battlestar pegasus from the apricot merge mod. If i make the assault raptors capable of carrying tomahawk heavy missiles will they be able to count as codea bomers under that system? or will they at least use them intelligently (i.e. not firing them from 25km away) or i could change the raptor to an M8 but then the carrier may not think it can dock it...i dont know :(
I beleive the latest version of codea is now compatible with the Merge Mod.

I'm not sure if Pegasus in MM will dock an M8 or not, I havent tried. If it does, and they dont blow up trying, then is worth asking the question in the codea thread.

In theory, if M8's will dock, then changing the assault raptor to an M8 should work. In fact, if it does, let me know and I may just do that in the mod, as it makes sense. The only thing wrong with it is the raptor only had 6 hardpoints if I recall rightly, where in X, the cargo space will determine how many it can carry.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sun, 25. Oct 09, 11:12

I think you can only assign a ship as Bomber in Codea if it is M8 class.
If you got all crewmember you need for the bomber and it is assigned to the carrier CODEA will dock it - no matter if it is possible or not; CODEA will beam it into the hangarbay.
The only thing wrong with it is the raptor only had 6 hardpoints if I recall rightly, where in X, the cargo space will determine how many it can carry.
:gruebel: Huh? are you sure? i thought the "docking slots" assigned in Tships are responsible for dockinglimits :???:
[ external image ]

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 25. Oct 09, 11:16

hardpoints = missle points.

It could carry 6 missiles slung under the wings. Might have been 8. It didnt have any cargo bay. Just a 6 person cabin.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sun, 25. Oct 09, 11:38

aha i see :lol:
yeah of course you need to adapt ships from other series to the x-system if you want to use them.
[ external image ]

DrwHem
x4

Post by DrwHem » Sun, 25. Oct 09, 15:41

I went in and changed the assault raptor to an M8, slowed it down a bit, added some cargo bay and 2 more 25 MJ shields and saved. all the changes took effect except the class change to M8. it still shows up as M3. i dont know why :(

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 26. Oct 09, 00:43

Can you do a screen print of X3Editor, showing that screen, so we cn see what you changed ?

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 26. Oct 09, 01:22

You have to change both to M8 - Type and Class... in case you didn't
And you need to spawn a new ship to apply the changes.
[ external image ]

DrwHem
x4

Post by DrwHem » Mon, 26. Oct 09, 04:08

on the general tab i only changed class to M8

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”