Mouse Control of ship?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Eagle
x4

Mouse Control of ship?

Post by Eagle » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 01:51

I very nearly bought X³ TC today but was confused about ship control. I'm traditionally a joystick kinda guy with the X series but wondered whether mouse control was now improved/possible as it mentioned something about it on the case.

Can someone let me know what it's like or is j/s still the way to go?

:)

GrahamAtome
x3tc

Post by GrahamAtome » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 01:55

in my humble opinion I would use the Joystick and keyboard. I find flying with the mouse a PITA

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 01:58

wow ... there's a blast from the past :)

Hey Eagle

I still use a joystick .... there's some thing about flying a spaceship with a mouse that just don't sit right with me.

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 02:12

Thanks guys. Is it improved though? I may well 'Steam' it and just play with mouse until I get my joystick out of storage. :)

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 02:18

I find it fine with a mouse and keyboard (X3R-style). The default for TC is Freelancer-style though, so whichever you prefer.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 02:18

Eagle wrote:Is it improved though?
Depends what you're used to.

The mouse control in TC supposedly resembles Freelancer (I haven't played, so I can't confirm) and many people find it much better. Personally, I prefer the old method.

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 02:21

Mouse works. Use it all the time. Did so all the way back to X2, no problems my end.
Learn to use stickies. Look here for mods for X3TC and here for guides across everything since X2. If you haven't read the Forum Rules do so before we beat you with sticks. Above all have fun.

Kriscerosaurus
x3tc

Post by Kriscerosaurus » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 03:43

I'll second the Freelancer-style control idea. Been a while since my Freelancer days but TC felt VERY similar as soon as I started.

TC is my first X game, however, so I can't comment on any "improvements" from earlier games.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 08:46

Heya, Eagle! Been nearly two years since we saw your phosphors round these parts.

I still use joystick and keyboard myself, but then I'm an old reactionary who doesn't like change :-). Mouse control in X3TC is greatly improved, but you need to bear in mind that if you're using the "shoot at mouse cursor" type of laser fire, auto-aim doesn't work--you can only use AA when using Boresight fire (bound to CTRL by default, but can be remapped).

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 10:27

Cheers! Yaw and Pitch, I take it, are via keys? :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 10:58

The default mause control is yaw/pitch, with roll as key.

I tried hard to use a joystick but my Saitek X36 can't match the performance of my optical mouse. The joystick axis are translated linearry which doesn't give the needed accuracy near the dead zone.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 11:49

Thanks again. Might just go for it. How big is the Steam download? I'm on a pretty ropey connection. :(

Is 'Avis' still about? :)

logan86
x3tc

Post by logan86 » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 12:44

I cant remember exactly but the steam download is several gigabytes. on my 2mbps connection it took about 8 hours to download. so its probably an over night job really.

Also, i agree with gazz that there just isnt enough accuracy near the dead zone with a joystick.

in my experience its just straight, or crazy turning. and if you turn up the dead zone range to try and stop it having a mind of its own, it just feels unresponsive.
amtct wrote:If I hit a person once or twice is called instant death

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 12:48

Hmm. I only have a 300kb/s connection (PlusNet) so I think that's out for me. Thanks anyway. :)

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 17:36

Went out and bought a new Joystick together with the game so I'm all set.

Forth time through (well, it's pretty much the same each game, isn't it?)... must be something about it though. :mrgreen:

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 22:13

Avis...? I recognise that name. Think so.

Have fun Eagle. Feel free to say hello once in a while.
Learn to use stickies. Look here for mods for X3TC and here for guides across everything since X2. If you haven't read the Forum Rules do so before we beat you with sticks. Above all have fun.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”