deleted

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tatakau
x3tc

deleted

Post by tatakau » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 05:48

deleted
Last edited by tatakau on Wed, 12. Jun 19, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 05:55

I have two of them, one has PPC on the front turret and IC on side turrets, another one has PPC all around. I can't see a major difference. IC on the front turret would probably limit its efficiency because of a shorter range.

mntnd3w
x3tc

Post by mntnd3w » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 06:04

I put 5 PPC and 3 IC on the front turrets, and then 8 PPC on at least one side.

A few IC's on the front turrets allow for some extra shield damage before the side PPC's get in range and finish the enemy capital off. I agree with kurush about not being able to see a major difference though.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 08:48

IC does more shield damage but considerably less hull damage than PPCs. If you use an all-IC loadout you're going to find it takes a while to destroy an enemy capital ship once his shields are down; I'd therefore recommend having SOME PPCs on there in order to speed up that part.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 08:51

From some theoretical analysis I posted here a while back the PPC/IonC/IonC is probably the best combo (if you are going to mix them) as I find that I am more likely to take charge of the front turret and PPCs do slightly more alpha damage when charged (if my assumption of 4 seconds charge time was correct).

IonCs apparently reduce target speed by 30% for 1.6 seconds (non-cummulative) and reduce available target weapon energy by 500J (unconfirmed). If this is accurate then there could be a strong rathional for an all IonC loadout.

The additional range of the PPC could also be a decisive factor that should not be ignored (6.62km v. 5.12km - an additional 1.5km). In addition cargo space could be a factor as IonCs are 150 cargo where as PPCs are only 100 (IIRC).
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 11:09

Speed reduction might well be a disadvantage because if your bullets have a 10 sec flight time, drastically changing the target lead like that is not such a hot idea.

For general purpose, PPC are better and use 2/3 the cargo space.
Just can't go wrong with those.

Now if you switch lasers (like with a script), you can use IC effectively.
In fact, the best killer combo (if switching) is IC / Gauss, which means 140 % shield and 220 % hull damage compared to PPC alone.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 11:27

Gazz wrote:Speed reduction might well be a disadvantage because if your bullets have a 10 sec flight time, drastically changing the target lead like that is not such a hot idea.
Depends on the angle of attack, range, size of target and number of bullets in the air... but it is a valid point.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

tatakau
x3tc

Post by tatakau » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 20:27

deleted
Last edited by tatakau on Wed, 12. Jun 19, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Mon, 2. Nov 09, 17:00

Interesting how everyone failed to mention availability. It was hard enough to get myself 8 IC's for my Ray. I wouldn't be able to get another 8 anytime soon unless I build the factories myself.

Of course by the time you have a destroyer you should be more than able to actually build your own weapon complex.

Personally I'm pretty happy with my 8xIC's up front and PPC's left/right. IC's fire first taking out shields and then PPC's jump in to finish the job. The range difference is acceptable, since AI can't fly anyway :roll:

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 2. Nov 09, 18:12

Interesting how everyone failed to mention availability.
It really depends on your game. It can be an issue with both PPC or IC. I have TS ships assigned to a EQ with buy PPC and buy IC for best price duties and another set of Falcon Haulers assigned to a TL ordered to buy those two types of guns from this EQ indefinitely. I am getting probably 1 IC for every 2 PPC this way if the price is set to average. I think I did one build station mission for IC at some point though...

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Mon, 2. Nov 09, 19:07

X-Warrior B AS wrote:Interesting how everyone failed to mention availability. It was hard enough to get myself 8 IC's for my Ray. I wouldn't be able to get another 8 anytime soon unless I build the factories myself.

Of course by the time you have a destroyer you should be more than able to actually build your own weapon complex.

Personally I'm pretty happy with my 8xIC's up front and PPC's left/right. IC's fire first taking out shields and then PPC's jump in to finish the job. The range difference is acceptable, since AI can't fly anyway :roll:
Hmm - gonna try that soon as I have IC to spare and no use for them so far...

Dare I mention that PPC front, Gauss left & right and flak up & down work well too?

front attack target
left / right attack caps
up / down attack fighters

This setup has already proven itself on many occasions.

Neferdias
x3tc

Post by Neferdias » Mon, 2. Nov 09, 19:36

take into consideration that turrets like to shoot at the nearest turret on a capital ship. they won't shoot at the central point like i wish they would. Unless your angle of attack is just right, trying to broadside an akuma (for example) with a mixed loadout tends to make killing the bugger pretty difficult. Even with a straight loadout of PPC's i tend to have to alter my attack angle just to hit it.

Of course it could be something i'm doing wrong too.

Either go straight PPC's or half and half GC/IonC

With this combo... straight PPC's give you the range... GC/IonC will do more damage at a slightly faster rate. IMHO if you're a number cruncher you'll have to determine which is the higher DPS... but to me just looking at the raw numbers it's really a toss up to what you have in stock. Both setups will kill your enemy. It's just a matter of the situation you're in I suppose.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”