Keyboard prevents double letters. But makes typing slow.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Knetter_Gek
x3tc

Keyboard prevents double letters. But makes typing slow.

Post by Knetter_Gek » Wed, 4. Nov 09, 20:47

Typing things into text boxes in the game has one minor irk: if you type the same letter twice (such as the two t's in letter) you must wait about a half second or the second keystroke is ignored. However, if I tap a character key that would modify the next letter in Windows it will double-tap that key: hitting " becomes "" in-game, and hitting ' becomes ''. I am not able to type lëttërß wíth thîngìes øn thém in-game: just plain old Latin alphabet.

The problem remains even if I switch to the plain US keyboard lay-out for the game. I'm sure it is remaining in Us layout and not going over to US-Intl (my default) but there seems to be no difference there.

I have ruled out pretty much everything.
This issue was present after fresh install from the DVD and in every version afterwards. It survived several reinstalls including complete system formats. It was there on Windows XP, XP 64bit, Vista Ultimate 64bit and Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit. It has been here through five keyboards and two mice. I have, in the time I have had and played X3TC, replaced literally every single piece of hardware in my PC with the exception of the case itself.

- Does anyone else have this same issue?
- Is there a fix for working around this delay if it is a known item?
We are all explorers of the deepest reaches of space.
We don't just watch space on our monitors and listen to the sounds in it:
We, all of us, each and every one of us, owns, to a man, as many operational Space Shuttles as NASA does.
Yes, we're all that awesome. Give yourself a hug.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 4. Nov 09, 20:52

I think the delay between double-tapping the letters was to fix an issue that occurred in X2 where double-tapping tended to insert 3 or 4 copies of the letter, although I think they maybe erred a little bit too far on the side of caution there! No idea about your other issue.

Knetter_Gek
x3tc

Post by Knetter_Gek » Wed, 4. Nov 09, 20:56

pjknibbs wrote:I think the delay between double-tapping the letters was to fix an issue that occurred in X2 where double-tapping tended to insert 3 or 4 copies of the letter, although I think they maybe erred a little bit too far on the side of caution there! No idea about your other issue.
Well, the not being able to type German letters into the game I don't mind - I don't use them anyway :)
So, everyone has this same delay? Well... time for a Bug report in the L3 forums :P
We are all explorers of the deepest reaches of space.
We don't just watch space on our monitors and listen to the sounds in it:
We, all of us, each and every one of us, owns, to a man, as many operational Space Shuttles as NASA does.
Yes, we're all that awesome. Give yourself a hug.

luciphercolors
x4

Post by luciphercolors » Sat, 21. Nov 09, 11:07

Not being able to double-type letters is really annoying

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 00:57

I have to agree, but I'm afraid it's one of those things that's not likely to change. It would require a surprisingly large amount of work to fix, and so far there have always been more important things to fix with that time.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”