Wingman Fix?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Subhazardman

Wingman Fix?

Post by Subhazardman » Mon, 9. Nov 09, 02:09

Are there any scripts that fix the AI of friendly ships that follow you?

I'm sick of them crashing into stations and asteroids, or me, or each other.

I'm sick of them setting off my SETA

I'm sick of them being generally annoying.
Mongol General: What is best in life?
Conan: Danishes... OH and a nice batch of warm madelines in the morning... really starts the day rather nicely.

Doktor Teufel
x3tc

Post by Doktor Teufel » Thu, 12. Nov 09, 10:54

Oh, don't we all just wish? :) (Take my next statements with a grain of salt; I'm just now getting back into X after months away, so my memory may be fuzzy in places.)

Unfortunately, no, I don't think there is such a wonderful script. The key to handling wingmen as they are is to think outside the box, and also learn to think like an NPC in some situations. Oh yeah, and buy plenty of salvage insurance.

For example, when NPCs travel in groups, you can see that the leader flies in a nice, straight, not-too-fast line, and that when he turns, he does so smoothly and gradually (except near asteroids, when they of course will fall into the 90-degree-square turn behavior). Annoying as it is, in busy sectors where you need your wingmen close, you just can't whip the ship around however you please, or they will most definitely ram into any nearby asteroids and stations.

If in doubt, you can use the command console to make the wingmen wait elsewhere in-system, and call them (or go to them yourself) if you need their assistance. Or, if you know what your destination is, you can use the command console to send them ahead of you, on their own, to wait near a gate or station for example, or to dock with/go through one, respectively.

Never, ever lead your wingmen through a dense asteroid field. Trying to follow you whilst avoiding asteroids is too much for them, and is asking for trouble. Use the console to send them on through, then follow them.

Gates too; if in doubt, send the wingmen on through a ways before proceeding yourself.

As for SETA... yeah, that's annoying. But anytime you send them on ahead of you, at least then the SETA won't be interrupted.

----------------------

I know... it would be nice if you could just set them as wingmen and forget them. Unfortunately, collision damage is probably hardcoded in X, so I'm not sure if it can be turned off.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”