[TC] WTB Phased Array Laser Cannon

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sesk
x4

WTB Phased Array Laser Cannon

Post by Sesk » Fri, 20. Nov 09, 19:20

I want to outfit my Tiger with these for Anti-Fighter, but I can't find anywhere to buy some. I really like it's range.

Anyone got tips on getting these?

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Fri, 20. Nov 09, 19:22

They are not available for purchase in a vanilla game, nor are there any on a vessel available for capture.

There is a possibility that in the Final Fury mission where you have to pick up the Exterminator's flight recorder a crate will spawn with two PALCs. These are the only ones you can ever get in vanilla.

imho, FAAs are the best anti-fighter weapon for a Tiger.
Q9550 / 3.4GHz
P5Q Deluxe / 400MHz
4GB HyperX DDR2 / 1066MHz
EVGA GTX 580 Superclock

Sesk
x4

Post by Sesk » Fri, 20. Nov 09, 19:40

FAAs are really noisy and their range make them troublesome when put on R/L turrets (since those can also add damage to the front weapons 8xIBLs when assaulting a capital)

Any other suggestions, or is FAA really better than Phased Array Laser Cannons ?

insolent1
x3tc

Post by insolent1 » Fri, 20. Nov 09, 20:46

PALC is weak, you would need at least a four slot turret for them to be effective, 8 would be better.
FAA is good even in a 2 slot turret.

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Fri, 20. Nov 09, 20:50

Sesk wrote:Any other suggestions, or is FAA really better than Phased Array Laser Cannons ?
FAA's are your best anti-fighter choice. I have the two PALC's mounted on the left turret of one of my Tigers, and their main use is to make a group of Khaak aware of the Tiger from far away. They are really weak.

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Fri, 20. Nov 09, 20:58

If you need more damage against larger targets, carry an extra 2 or 4 IBL that you can swap out in the R/L turrets as needed.
Q9550 / 3.4GHz
P5Q Deluxe / 400MHz
4GB HyperX DDR2 / 1066MHz
EVGA GTX 580 Superclock

Sam Redstone
xr

Post by Sam Redstone » Sat, 21. Nov 09, 09:07

I also have two PALCs in my Panther's left turret, have had them for ages, and I keep them only because they look cool when they fire. And they're so rare. Those are really the only reasons. They suck.

They will kill the occasional M5 or maybe even an M4 at long range... if it's not moving toward you too fast. Takes a few seconds to do the job. But the same M5 or M4 would die INSTANTLY if it got in Flak range, so meh.

I thought they would be fun on a Truelight Seeker, but I can't seem to HIT anything with them. Oh well.

If the volume of the FAA fire bugs you, hit F2 and then the "-" key to zoom way out (assuming you're not actively engaging a capital target with your front paws, of course). Makes a nice relaxing show that way.

:D

P.S. I do carry IBLs in the right turret, though. Flak is only up / down / back on my Panther. It is enough.
"Will you please get me a couple of things?" ~ Mahi Ma

Every Boron dies. Squiddy McSquid truly lived.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”