IDEA: Planets :)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Khensu
x3tc

IDEA: Planets :)

Post by Khensu » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 12:57

The basic idea is that the sectors have planets, but the game doesnt use them to anything, just fo eye candy... so, maybe a trade station to planets could be built in all sectors that have 1 or more planets in it...

maybe a model of the complex dock, or something bigger... and it should have some brutal hold place so it resembles a planet, it could buy food and energy and some tech stuffs... and it could have a huge consume rate, like the trading stations, but with a much bigger rate :)

comment on the idea plz, and if anybody can do this, than plz do so :)
Sry for my bad english ^^"

Shadow dream
x3tc

Post by Shadow dream » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 13:17

I don't realy get, what you are meaning.
do you mean something like a huge station connected with a planet? Have fun placing every single one by hand on the map :D

Shadow
Wahre Gentlemen behalten sogar umzingelt von Löwen ihren Leitsatz: Ladies first.
Wann lernt die Gesellschaft endlich, dass Geld erst die Probleme macht, die wir haben?
[ external image ]
Topic - Gallery - Forum - Freiheit

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 13:23

Well, placement could be scripted since planets are detectable objects in game.

Now as to what he wants, I dunno. Something to do with planets. And a station.

But apparently he doesn't have any inclination of doing that anyway so... *shrug*
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

a butternut squash
x3tc

Post by a butternut squash » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 13:39

Maybe he wants something like Frontier: Elite 2 with the complexity of X3? That would be awesome.

Khensu
x3tc

Post by Khensu » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 13:51

:o

so, basicaly, I want a station, that connects to the planets, and is like a trade station, in the means that it could consume items like trade stations do, but on a much bigger scale... so you could sell food to the planets...

it would boost the economy of the universe, as the planets would be huge buyers and so the players who build huge complexes could also sell the stuff they make to a wider range of customers :)

and sorry if my post wasnt to clear for some ppl :oops:

EDIT: and the idea came from freelancer, its a god game, and a bit better in the way that you can land on planets, but not so good because you cant build stations...

Idea
x4

Post by Idea » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 13:58

Gazz wrote:Well, placement could be scripted since planets are detectable objects in game.
Is it possibal to detect the type of the planet(water,desert,vulcano) and size of the planet.

I tought that the type and size of the planet could influence the consume rate on station connected to planets.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 14:04

Most likely a planet object has a main/subtype like every other object in game.

So if a planet's surface consists mostly of whisky, it would have a higher consumption of ice.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 14:20

Well, it won't be possible with the vanilla planets, since those are... something different what they actually look like.

Realspace is working on planets, which are actually smaller, but I dont know if hes going to implent features inside them. Actually, it is possible (see X3R: XFP or Transced mod) however, it was pretty useless.

Let's just face it, X games are just not made for planetary actions.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 14:23

No, what he's saying is a station, like an Orbital Support Station, in Terran Sectors, but the other way round.

So for example, on a watery planet there could be a station which collects ridiculously high amounts of energy and effectively turns it into ridiculously high amounts of water, the idea is that you are sending supplies to the planet by selling to that dock. Wouldn't be too hard I don't think, and it would be amazing.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Khensu
x3tc

Post by Khensu » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 14:31

EmperorJon wrote:No, what he's saying is a station, like an Orbital Support Station, in Terran Sectors, but the other way round.

So for example, on a watery planet there could be a station which collects ridiculously high amounts of energy and effectively turns it into ridiculously high amounts of water, the idea is that you are sending supplies to the planet by selling to that dock. Wouldn't be too hard I don't think, and it would be amazing.

yeah, you got the idea right :)

a planetary support station, that could be used to transform or consume items... as the planets could hold the most "stations" in a sector, and the other stations are just suplys to the planet, or at least I think it should be like that as the sector descriptions say :)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 16:10

if im understanding correctly, then it sounds like whats already in the game, kind of.

the trading stations in the sectors are kind of linked to the planet, they act to trade between the planet

althou the implementation of this kinda sucks. I've always thought it would be best if they were more connected to the planet, so they produced goods and consumed required goods.

ie each planet has a set of wares they need and built and are traded via the trading stations

i've thought about scripting something like this, it wont be all that difficult, just havn't had any spare time among all my other projects :P

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 28. Nov 09, 16:16

Well, except that they don't have the cargo space to trade any meaningful amount of goods. Surely nothing on the scale of a planet.

Other than that, yeah. They already do that... in principle.

Cycrow wrote:i've thought about scripting something like this, it wont be all that difficult, just havn't had any spare time among all my other projects :P
Yeah, right. Always them scripters pretending they're too busy when all the time they write scripts to let computers do the actual work! Hah!

Khensu
x3tc

Post by Khensu » Sun, 29. Nov 09, 13:23

ok, then could somebody edit the standard Trade stations, so that they accept more items, and maybe generate some items to, not just consume them?

then basicaly my wish would be granted ( and I think many ppl would like it to ) :D

Khensu
x3tc

Post by Khensu » Tue, 1. Dec 09, 23:43

ok, then other approach :D

how could I give a custom station to a sector from the god engine with the amount of planets?

and how could I get a custom station ingame with the items that I want as sold and consumed ( how do I do a huge factory to be short ) ?

poiuytrewq

Post by poiuytrewq » Thu, 21. Jan 10, 00:35

I like this idea if the planet really modifies what the associated dock trades. So for example some resources are only available from 'planets'. An upscaled trading operation could be benefit provided by some planets while more diverse trading options might be the benefit of others.

I think it would be cool if sectors with a planet in them prevented any other station from being built in them because of gravity or something. There are several reasons for separating stations from the planetary dock not least to lower the sheer volume of traffic. The main reason is because gaining control of a planetary dock system should function as capturing a major resource of the galaxy but it shouldn't be so overly powerful that it can exist on it's on. This revolves around securing trade routes and so on. Each planet system would have four gates to maximize access and make them them more viable. I also think it would be really cool being in a system dominated by trading vessels and single hub trading station. :P

Cant help you unfortunately Khensu but this sounds cool if you ever manage it.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Thu, 21. Jan 10, 17:37

I've recently started a plugin to do something like this.

See my post further up this thread, I found this a while ago when it was being discussed, and recently decided to do it myself, because I remembered it. See here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 12:08

Ok, for some reason my PMs are not sending properly, and it refuses to send to Khensu.

So.

As a note for all those who checked this thread, and obviously for Khensu, this planet idea thingy was recently completed for Beta by me ad Mark_a_Condren, and you may not have looked at it or realised that it is basicalyl this idea plus stuff. So, it's here. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=270669
______
______

Krewzur
x4

Post by Krewzur » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 21:21

I dunno if this has been mentioned before but......

.....has anyone thought of simply making a massive station that just looks like a planet??

Kinda like the Dyson Sphere in the Xtended mod or where ever i saw it in X3:R. Or like the Hub, only it just looks like a planet?.
Corsair 400c // Intel i7 8700k // H100i v2 // ASUS Maximus X Code // ASUS 1080ti Strix OC // 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz // Samsung 960 Evo 250GB // 960GB SanDisk Ultra II // Corsair RM850i

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 21:26

Sounds nice, but just imagine the length of the approach- the Dyson Sphere from the X3:R Xtended was a (relatively) small 60km in diameter, and it had a ~30km approach, IIRC. It's a bit impractical to just have a massive station, unfortunately. That said, I did like to sit there and watch the thing's shield pulse. That was quite calming...
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 21:26

Sounds nice, but just imagine the length of the approach- the Dyson Sphere from the X3:R Xtended was a (relatively) small 60km in diameter, and it had a ~30km approach, IIRC. It's a bit impractical to just have a massive station, unfortunately. That said, I did like to sit there and watch the thing's shield pulse. That was quite calming...
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”