Flak Artillery Arrays

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Spychotic
x3tc

Flak Artillery Arrays

Post by Spychotic » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 03:27

I started in the X-Universe with X-BTF, and progressed through from there.

I never really trusted the new weapons. For years, HEPTs have been my prime armament for no other reason than that that is what I knew.

One of the many weapons that I never trusted was the FAA. Even twenty minutes ago, I treated the weapon with the utmost of scepticism. I had found other weapons that I liked; in particular the PRG for fighter defense, and was content to let things be.

Nineteen minutes ago, I bought twelve of them. Eighteen minutes ago, I fitted my Boreas with four in the top, bottom and back turrets and kept PPCs in the rest of them. Seventeen minutes ago, I jumped into the North gate of Xenon Core 023.

............. :o

Sixteen minutes ago, I was watching from external view, zoomed out, as capital ships died in a hail of blue bolts of deadly light. But my attention was fixed on the wings of Xenon fighters on attack runs. I watched in awe as with deafening crashes they were ripped from this Universe in a holocaust of beautiful fire. Another. Another two. Another two. One more. Another...

Truly, I am a convert.

And I introduce you you, gentlemen (and any ladies that may be out there), the new, improved Xenon Core 023...

http://yfrog.com/j7x3screen00022p

Spike

Now please excuse me. I have an FAA complex to set up...
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 06:51

They are intended against fighters of all sizes and they work very well against them. They also tear apart M6 ships with a bit more time. Anything bigger than that will not notice it much though.

Hot tip: combine FAA with the cluster version for more interesting fireworks.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 08:54

My only answer to this is: you're still playing the game at 2am on a Friday? Get some sleep, man! :-)

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 12:48

pjknibbs wrote:My only answer to this is: you're still playing the game at 2am on a Friday? Get some sleep, man! :-)
You know what they say about X, social life and sleep... I intend to keep my social life :wink:

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

Kriszo
x3tc

Post by Kriszo » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 15:19

XanII wrote:Hot tip: combine FAA with the cluster version for more interesting fireworks.
What is the difference between FAA and CFA? I only tried FAA yet, is one superior to the other, or act totally different, or what?

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 16:45

CFA is an area weapon. Before TC v2.5 it was 100% useless because it couldn't hit a barn door. I hear that as of 2.5 it is now extremely lethal, but never tried it myself.

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 17:29

Also, CFA is a frag weapon, which means the bullet that is fired by the gun splits into 4 separate bullets, on impact I'm guessing. It has been fixed as of 2.5.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 17:43

CFA shot moves slower and makes multiple explosions at maximum range. If it hits its target the shot does not split up, unfortunately.

I don't find much difference with either. FAA seems better both since it's more accurate and area attacks that aren't the PBG generally suck (since they operate on the basis of reaching maximum range, by which the weapon has obviously missed), but it doesn't look nearly as nice.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 20:03

I prefer to mix them. Maybe im just imagining but pure CFA doesnt work very well. It needs FAA to support, but FAA can also use CFA for better results.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 20:30

pjknibbs wrote:My only answer to this is: you're still playing the game at 2am on a Friday? Get some sleep, man! :-)
Dont you remember your own manual?!

"Say goodbye to social life and/or sleep"
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Goodfeller
x3tc

Post by Goodfeller » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 21:21

Can you believe I've never used FAAs before either ? But reading the O.P it has become apparent that it's something I need to try. Do they cause any collateral damage ? In other words are they safe to use in friendly sectors for patrol missions and such ?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 21:26

007bradz wrote:

Just to clear something up, pjknibbs doesn't work for Egosoft. He's just a volunteer, same as most of us. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 21:31

Nanook wrote:
007bradz wrote:

Just to clear something up, pjknibbs doesn't work for Egosoft. He's just a volunteer, same as most of us. :wink:
It says Egosoft under his name so im not wrong. :D
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 21:43

007bradz wrote:
Nanook wrote:
007bradz wrote:

It says Egosoft under his name so im not wrong. :D
Your logic is flawed. All site admins get that, but that doesn't mean they get paid. :roll:

Anyway, enough OT. Let's get this back to talking about explodey things. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Sn4kemaster
x4

Post by Sn4kemaster » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 22:46

Goodfeller wrote:Can you believe I've never used FAAs before either ? But reading the O.P it has become apparent that it's something I need to try. Do they cause any collateral damage ? In other words are they safe to use in friendly sectors for patrol missions and such ?
If you think of PSG as a sledgehammer, then FAA are the scalpels of anti-fighter defense.....

in other words......they are very safe in sector

Snowship
x3tc

Post by Snowship » Fri, 4. Dec 09, 23:22

Since the 2.5 patch I'm starting to prefer CFAA. Just seems a bit more of a killer :twisted:
[ external image ]
Vanilla Malt Gamestarts
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”