[TC] A way to get around the SETA issues..

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ninereeds666
x3ap

A way to get around the SETA issues..

Post by ninereeds666 » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 04:23

Ok, so I'm tired of the engine attacking my assets whilst on SETA. A few pirate M3s managed to pull apart my complex in Depths of Silence, a supposedly secret Boron millitary sector. It's ok if a few of my UTs go MIA, but this shit has ruined the game for me. Is there any way around it? I don't mind modifying.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 04:30

Yes, don't use afk SETA.

ndp183

Post by ndp183 » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 04:47

So you are looking for a way to make your game exploit work more easily?

sad...

ninereeds666
x3ap

Post by ninereeds666 » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 04:55

Ok, so I know there's this whole SETA/no SETA argument, but I really don't care what you think. I don't care how you guys play the game, it doesn't affect me. I like to play the game this way, so don't hate me for it.

I'm just asking for some assistance, there's no need to put me down.

Besides, I play a mostly trader character, and it's really hard (well, slow at any rate) to make money in real time. I'm sort of left with no option if I want to actually enjoy the game.

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 04:58

Try the Nividium exploit then. There's no way to switch off attacks during prolonged absence from the keyboard, but there are other ways to make boatloads of money without much effort.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 05:11

being hostile doesnt help your plea for assistance, it actually detriments it :)

first off...dont go bye what the description says...alot are misleading and outdated.

secondly...you can work to improve your relations with the pirates so they aint destroyin your stuff, make a small complex in freedoms reach a map for you consisting of space fuel and (optional)space weed. youll make cash and be drinkin buddies with them in no time :)

and since youre doing afk SETA, hunting down other races ships in pirate sectors(right up untill youre one rank away from not being allowed in their border sectors) would be very helpful to the cause of makin em friendly, and your fight rank will diminish after 6 minutes in 10x SETA.

ninereeds666
x3ap

Post by ninereeds666 » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 05:57

Ulan Dhor wrote:Try the Nividium exploit then. There's no way to switch off attacks during prolonged absence from the keyboard, but there are other ways to make boatloads of money without much effort.
There's no way for me to play the game I payed money for the way I want to? Damn...
Catra wrote:being hostile doesnt help your plea for assistance, it actually detriments it :)

first off...dont go bye what the description says...alot are misleading and outdated.

secondly...you can work to improve your relations with the pirates so they aint destroyin your stuff, make a small complex in freedoms reach a map for you consisting of space fuel and (optional)space weed. youll make cash and be drinkin buddies with them in no time :)

and since youre doing afk SETA, hunting down other races ships in pirate sectors(right up untill youre one rank away from not being allowed in their border sectors) would be very helpful to the cause of makin em friendly, and your fight rank will diminish after 6 minutes in 10x SETA.
I didn't mean to come accross as hostile. I was just trying to explain that I don't want to get into an argument. A bit ironic at this point... :lol:

Apart from that, I appreciate the help. I'll try those options. Possibly. If I start playing this game again.

I want to play it my way, not the way Egosoft want me to.

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 06:10

ninereeds666 wrote:I want to play it my way, not the way Egosoft want me to.
Well, there are always other games. Or look at the S&M forum. You might find something for your needs over there.

DunarFirestalker
x3tc

Post by DunarFirestalker » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 06:35

Before I understood the problems with afk SETA I created a huge complex in Perpetual Sin. It was attacked while I was afk. So I added a laser tower factory or 3. Then surrounded my complex with groups of 10 laser towers. I didn't have any problems after that. A group of 10 will take anything up to a M6 without too much problem.

As far as the lag created from having a complex and so many laser towers, I solve this by gating in and face away from the complex, and do all of my transactions remotely.

This seems has worked quiet nicely.

I hope this helps.

Koruth
x4

Post by Koruth » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 06:36

I suppose you could hire out huge defense fleets to auto-patrol your complex sectors, and cover gates/complexes in lasertowers, but both those things require resources you are probably trying to *get* with SETA-idling.

Edit: For lag, I'd recommend building the majority of your complex *far* out of the ecliptic, with a long noodle of connectors leading down into the ecliptic for the dock. Won't lag you so much if you never have to *look* at the bulk of the factory, at least, that's my experience.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 07:44

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:Yes, don't use afk SETA.
Pretty much this. I had a pack of pirate M3s try to take out a silicon mine in asteroid belt today. Had I been allowing the game to run AFK it would've been toast. Since I was at the controls it was only a matter of jumping in Red Wing (8x Nova Vanguards) to deal with the problem.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly where those pirates came from.....AFK SETA at your own risk.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Wed, 9. Dec 09, 09:48

Kor'ah wrote:I'm still trying to figure out exactly where those pirates came from....
There's a pirate station that always spawn in a Terran sector, generally in one the far west sectors.

Goodfeller
x3tc

Post by Goodfeller » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 18:54

Koruth wrote: For lag, I'd recommend building the majority of your complex *far* out of the ecliptic, with a long noodle of connectors leading down into the ecliptic for the dock. Won't lag you so much if you never have to *look* at the bulk of the factory, at least, that's my experience.
Tried this before and the complex was a real pain to build. Total headache. Wouldn't do it again.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 20:35

I don't think it has anything to do with SETA. I have occasional pirate attacking my complexes regardless of SETA. I use a whole lot of M2s to protect these complexes. You can have one decent ship (>=M6 for Pirates/Yaki or M2 with support if you are getting Xenons) patrolling the sector. Springblossom on "Attack Fighters" actually works just fine. The only problem with this approach is that your ship will eventually run into red pirates, set all pirates as enemies and go on rampage against Duke's freighters and all pirates who mean no harm. To avoid this I use "Defend Position" so that the defended area covers my complex but does not touch the normal travel routes.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Fri, 11. Dec 09, 01:46

kurush wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with SETA. I have occasional pirate attacking my complexes regardless of SETA. I use a whole lot of M2s to protect these complexes. You can have one decent ship (>=M6 for Pirates/Yaki or M2 with support if you are getting Xenons) patrolling the sector. Springblossom on "Attack Fighters" actually works just fine. The only problem with this approach is that your ship will eventually run into red pirates, set all pirates as enemies and go on rampage against Duke's freighters and all pirates who mean no harm. To avoid this I use "Defend Position" so that the defended area covers my complex but does not touch the normal travel routes.
OOS "cheats" more on SETA and you will randomly lose ships in sectors that would normally be safe if you do extended SETA sessions. I've also occasionally run into permanent save game issues like losing all voice playback on that save.

To the OP: Don't use AFK SETA. Just AFK'ing alone will make you plenty of money, and there are ways to prevent the rank loss.

I usually do let my game run 24/7 when I am too busy to actively play much. It's still a lot of fun to play it as more of a management game once you have your empire setup and somewhat scripted. I have CODEA and several of Lucike's trade-related scripts, and it's adds another level to the game checking up on your fleet's progress a few times a day when you can spare a few minutes.

Goodfeller
x3tc

Post by Goodfeller » Fri, 11. Dec 09, 08:37

aka1nas wrote: I usually do let my game run 24/7 when I am too busy to actively play much.
Way to go, Bud ! Gotta keep those carbon emissions coming.

*Smirk*

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Fri, 11. Dec 09, 09:17

actually, its a rather interesting concept. If you play your game like its in 'realtime', how much time has actually passed makes a real difference.

Also interesting, as mentioned, with codea and such to take some time during the day whenever possible to resupply your fleet and replace losses.

If i had the spare cpu cycles, id try that...

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 11. Dec 09, 13:37

If you run the game whilst AFK, you have a significantly increased chance of losses, but if you run the game for more than 1 hour (game time - 10 minutes on default SETA) the game decides to pick on you since it doesn't like you doing that :P

This latter part you can work around - for example use a method similar to the SETA repair method or a macro command if you have a programmable joystick.

You still run the risk of losses, but not the deliberate ones the game will otherwise inflict on you!

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 11. Dec 09, 13:56

It's possible to hack the game so all your ships are invulnerable, IS as well as OOS.
(which is effectively what you want)

Well, maybe not invulnerable but non-attackable.

You just have to edit these scripts
!fight.attack.object.owp
!fight.attack.object.std
!plugin.acp.fight.attack.object

and include a "skip if owner of victim = Player" before every fire order.

You'd only have to deal with turrets in sector after that.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”