[TC] Getting my first M7

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vained
x3tc

Getting my first M7

Post by Vained » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 21:24

I believe capping an Agamenon is a bit beyond my current abilities, so I'm just gonna have to purchase an M7 instead.

Any recommendations? I'll be using it as an allround personal ship.

Koruth
x4

Post by Koruth » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 21:25

Can't remember if it's an M7, but the Vidar you get from the Terran plot is a good all-rounder.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 21:29

Most players prefer one of three M7's,

Tiger: Speed and firepower (though IBL's are hard to come by)

Shrike: A small hanger and can mount Gauss Cannons

Panther: Sacrifices main guns for front mounted turret and is a mini carrier (but like the Tiger, it has the IBL issue)

Vained
x3tc

Post by Vained » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 21:29

Koruth wrote:Can't remember if it's an M7, but the Vidar you get from the Terran plot is a good all-rounder.
That happens to be the ship I've been flying ever since I got it, and I'm sick of it. Sure it's a terrific M6, but oh so boring with its EMPCs. Besides, it does not pack enough punch to take out anything larger than an M6 in a reasonable amount of time. (Unless you fit it with AM/M Launchers, which I haven't).

Catra

Re: Getting my first M7

Post by Catra » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 21:29

Vained wrote:I believe capping an Agamenon is a bit beyond my current abilities, so I'm just gonna have to purchase an M7 instead.

i would recommend the panther not only do you get the awesomeness of the tiger , you also get a nice 32 slot hangar bay for capped ships / personal fighter / huge trade fleet (falcon haulers have XL cargo ^_^) :D

Vained
x3tc

Re: Getting my first M7

Post by Vained » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 21:32

Catra wrote:
Vained wrote:I believe capping an Agamenon is a bit beyond my current abilities, so I'm just gonna have to purchase an M7 instead.

i would recommend the panther not only do you get the awesomeness of the tiger , you also get a nice 32 slot hangar bay for capped ships / personal fighter / huge trade fleet (falcon haulers have XL cargo ^_^) :D
Problem with the Tiger, is that it is so damn ugly. I mean seriously. It has so much potential to look fantastic, and Egosoft had to screw it up by making a elongated narrow rear end.

Panther is out of the question, as it does not have player controlled guns up front, and only 6 of them.

Shrike, again a bottomless bucket of uglyness.

There's always the Thresher, but it's just so big. :(

Edit; hmmm, I just might get the Panther after all. :\

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 21:42

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I actually quite like the Shrike! And it's the only M7 in the game that you can equip to tackle capital ships without having to find IBLs, which is why the Shrike is always my first M7. Doesn't hurt that it has a whopping cargo bay and a larger hangar than any M7 with the exception of the Panther!

Vained
x3tc

Post by Vained » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 22:04

I think I've made up my mind, I'm going for the Panther. It has a kickass appearance, and nice firepower. Although I think I'll aquire som IBLs before I buy it.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Tiger problem

Post by Bill Huntington » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 22:06

There is a big problem with the Tiger and its multiple IBLs. It's too destructive! It's hard to fine tune the mayhem. If you are trying to cap an M2 or other with Tiger support, that Tiger will destroy it before you can stop it. Of course, the open weapon bay gives you some control on this, but still... Too damn destructive!! Then again, that might be what you want in an M7.

Good Hunting.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Antarus
x3tc

Post by Antarus » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 22:26

If it is supposed to be an allrounder, than I'd go for a Panther or a Shrike because they have hangars. This way you can always take a fighter or 2 with you just in case you want to dock somewhere or check the missions.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 23:47

Diemos severd me well for what little combat it did see in OFF. Now it just tows stuff around X and hauls some fighters around.

I was in and out of M7s so fast I never had a chance to sample more than just the paranid M7s. They're great till the missions start throwing 2+ capitals, with support, at a time.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 00:22

Panther. A winner every time. Used one for months. Great for capturing fighters to repair, and other Pirate goodies that are left over when the bad guys explode. Some nice Flak and they jumping out two or three at a time without any effort in it for the credits. Long Range. Good Weapons. 32 bird hangar. Nice Cargo bay. Would have been nice in X2. If anything, the Panther - it's over capable. Panther as personal ship every time. Then a Cerberus for Anti Air/Fighter. Shrike for Anti ship. Cobra for supporting groups of Phoenix or Boreas with Flails.There are some good shiips to try out.

Vained
x3tc

Post by Vained » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 00:31

AgamemnonArgon wrote:Panther. A winner every time. Used one for months. Great for capturing fighters to repair, and other Pirate goodies that are left over when the bad guys explode. Some nice Flak and they jumping out two or three at a time without any effort in it for the credits. Long Range. Good Weapons. 32 bird hangar. Nice Cargo bay. Would have been nice in X2. If anything, the Panther - it's over capable. Panther as personal ship every time. Then a Cerberus for Anti Air/Fighter. Shrike for Anti ship. Cobra for supporting groups of Phoenix or Boreas with Flails.There are some good shiips to try out.
Yup, I'm starting to really like the Panther myself.

I got it outfitted as such;

Front: 6 x Concussion Impulse Generator set to Attack My Target
Left: 2 x Same as above
Right: 2 x Same as above
Up: 4 x Flak Artillery Array set to Missile Defence / Attack Fighters
Down: 4 x Same as above
Back: 2 x Phased Repeater Gun set to Missile Defence (These will be changed to CIGs as soon as I CBA)

Even with the CIGs instead of IBLs, it kicks ass.

Mr. Reeves
x4

Post by Mr. Reeves » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 08:46

buy a panther buddy. it doubles as a carrier and a destroyer. It can hold 32 fighters and the big guns OW YEA! IBL OMG WTF BBQ kill q's with such ease.
The skunk really is a bare bones model. It doesn't even have a GPS to highlight the way. Or targeting software MK 2 to allow target selection and painting from the sector map. It lacks a Trading System Extention to show prices in the sector you are in. The lack of satellites in rebirth is also annoying to the trader/pirate looking for a mark.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 15:42

I keep coming back to the Shrike. It only has 4GJ of shields as opposed to the 6GJ of the Deimos, but it has a larger cargo space (more Hornet missiles) and it can mount Gauss cannons. You will appreciate the Gauss cannons after you get the message of “energy low” and the cannons keep firing and turn that Xenon Q into space debris. Khaak M2s are a problem, because they shoot down the missiles and I can’t outrange them. I’ll try sending drones to keep their lasers busy while the Hornets do their thing.

Vained
x3tc

Post by Vained » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 16:39

notaterran wrote:I keep coming back to the Shrike. It only has 4GJ of shields as opposed to the 6GJ of the Deimos, but it has a larger cargo space (more Hornet missiles) and it can mount Gauss cannons. You will appreciate the Gauss cannons after you get the message of “energy low” and the cannons keep firing and turn that Xenon Q into space debris. Khaak M2s are a problem, because they shoot down the missiles and I can’t outrange them. I’ll try sending drones to keep their lasers busy while the Hornets do their thing.
Meh, I took on two Xenon Q's with my Panther yesterday, and the CIGs did their job just fine. I can't wait to try out those IBLs, if I can find some.

blackmagick

Post by blackmagick » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 16:52

I happen to like the Cerberus, got a load of IPG's on the front, and ClusterFlak on the flanks, PRG's top and bottom, std flack on the rear, and that copes with most things.

awesome ant-fighter, will level most M6's too, got a minimal cross-section so using a circlestrafe-type-manouver I've KO'd a number of Akuma and K's, the

trick to that is finding the blind spots, on the K it's comin in perpedicular to it from the top or bottom, avoiding the field of fire of the fore and aft batteries.

the akuma is a different story, there's a 'sweet spot' if you come in parallel to it (horizontal) and there's a gap in the field between upper and lower batteries. unless it's doing it's 270deg field trick/bug and fires through it's self...

but as with all Argon boats, it's decidedly average...

Vained
x3tc

Post by Vained » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 17:03

Now here's a question for your guys to ponder on;

Which is better, Concussion Impulse Generators, or Ion Shard Railguns?

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 17:05

CIG's. ISR's go through energy like there's no tomorrow.

Vained
x3tc

Post by Vained » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 17:06

Deadbeat_Spinn wrote:CIG's. ISR's go through energy like there's no tomorrow.
Cheers :)

Well now, I just managed to take out a Pirate Brigantine with the Panther, by tailing it and strafing like breakdancer.

Didn't drop a single IBL though.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”