Which is easier to use Joystick or board n mouse?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Larsenex
x3tc

Which is easier to use Joystick or board n mouse?

Post by Larsenex » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 00:53

I am going to be playing on Win 7 64bit. I was thinking that since this is a space sim a joystick would be more fun. Joystick off to one side and keboard on another. I also know I can program the stick for some keyboard functions so I guess stick would be way to go.

Does anyone have further input on preference with this?

Does anyone have a joystick they would recomend for Win 7 64bit?

{Moved from X3:R tech support. - eladan}

Shootist
x4

Re: Which is easier to use Joystick or board n mouse?

Post by Shootist » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 02:52

Larsenex wrote:I am going to be playing on Win 7 64bit. I was thinking that since this is a space sim a joystick would be more fun. Joystick off to one side and keboard on another. I also know I can program the stick for some keyboard functions so I guess stick would be way to go.

Does anyone have further input on preference with this?

Does anyone have a joystick they would recomend for Win 7 64bit?

{Moved from X3:R tech support. - eladan}
Truthfully? Both are easier. I mean, use all three.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 09:15

Your ship can be flown with accuracy using either. There are no downsides
either way, as far as I can tell. So you can just choose whichever you prefer.
Obviously joystick is extra cost if you don't have one already, but hey, it's only money.

dragondream
x3tc

Post by dragondream » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 11:22

Personally I prefer using a joystick. You can assign each button for essential commands needed during combat. It is easier moving around with a joystick than mouse and using the arrow keys on the keyboard is too hard to neatly control your ship during battles. The downside is you can only do boresight fire, which means you have to strafe a lot. Using the mouse you can fire at an angle, like while flying over a ship and still being able to fire at him. Try them both out and see which one you prefer. :)

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 12:45

dragondream wrote: It is easier moving around with a joystick than mouse and using the arrow keys on the keyboard is too hard to neatly control your ship during battles.
Or not......

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3111228
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3110352

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 13:30

I've never used a joystick in an X game.

To mind you're flying a spaceship, not a plane, so issuing instructions via a keyboard seems more 'realistic' to me. I have added using the mouse in TC, because the new mouse navigation system is quite good, but I still use the keyboard for most things, including emergency manouvers if, say I go through a gate to find something big on the other side, or some such similer event where extreme precision is required.

Way back in the long ago I had the same thing with Elite (that's Elite I, not those follow up games). I tried a joystick, and it didn't feel right, so I used the keyboard controls, which are incidentaly almost identical to those in the X series.

It's all down to personal preference I guess. I can fly the ships in X very precisely, to the point of skin dancing a moving Teladi Pheonix in Disco. No doubt people with joysticks could do the same.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”