[TC] Boron, always missing something.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

juanitierno
xrvr

Boron, always missing something.

Post by juanitierno » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 18:58

Hello!

Let me start with a bit of background:

I LOVE Boron ship designs. i love their hue, and how they look so organic.

In my mind thats how a spaceship should look. shiny, green, organic-coated and fish-like.

BUT, there is something that bothers me. Almost all ships from the boron (wich i would love to use exclusively) have a huge drawback when compared with other races.

For example: The thresher is the ONLY commercial M7 (that i know of) that cant dock a single kestrel. Its also so wide and spiky you need to be very careful when exiting a gate or ull hit the ring and die.

Is this an impression im getting? or its just that i dont know how to use the ships properly?

It just feels like every time i need to choose a ship, the Argon version is always better in all aspects.

Perhaps im just a n00b who cant use a green ship properly.

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 19:09

The Tiger doesn't have any docking bay, either. Of course, you can always use the Panther instead, if you want Split.

The Thresher is the only M7 that can use PPC. Not for very long, but it's a sniper ship, if you want to use it that way.

The Angel is among the best ships it in its category (TP). The Kraken is also a good design. The Orca is a good allrounder. There are some ships that are definitely worth it.

And regarding Argon versions, they are definitely not the best in all categories. It's fortunately spread out.

CaptG
x3tc

Post by CaptG » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 19:26

Ulan Dhor wrote:
The Thresher is the only M7 that can use PPC. Not for very long, but it's a sniper ship, if you want to use it that way.
The Xenon Q can also use PPCs, IIRC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6850 3.0GHz
4GB RAM
PNY GeForce 250L GTS 1GB
Legend, Industrialist

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 19:54

Only R/L turrets. The Thresher is the only ship from which you can fire PPC from the main guns while driving.
Q9550 / 3.4GHz
P5Q Deluxe / 400MHz
4GB HyperX DDR2 / 1066MHz
EVGA GTX 580 Superclock

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 20:00

I didnt know that PPC fact. Glad to hear it has something good!

I use the orca a lot, specially for butt-mining! But its always the first big ship i buy :)

disco/octopus -> some random M3 -> TM -> orca :D

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 20:05

Some of the Boron M3s can use Plasma Burst Generators and that helps compensate for their lower energy resources. =)
Q9550 / 3.4GHz
P5Q Deluxe / 400MHz
4GB HyperX DDR2 / 1066MHz
EVGA GTX 580 Superclock

Antarus
x3tc

Post by Antarus » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 20:15

I think the Borons can't design combat ships. Orca and Angel are pretty good, but their combat ships (especially the fighters) have low shields and weapon energy with nothing to compensate for it.

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 20:29

I think since theyr pacifists they should excell at shielding... but seems argons are better at that.

wizrd755
x2

Post by wizrd755 » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 20:37

Antarus wrote:I think the Borons can't design combat ships. Orca and Angel are pretty good, but their combat ships (especially the fighters) have low shields and weapon energy with nothing to compensate for it.
For COmmonWealth ships, I'll agree on the Boron designs, for a "peace-loving" race anyway. I prefer the Orca's 'cause they are faster than the Mammoth.

But, my first TL, since X2, has always been the Elephant.. My home-away-from-home, carrier, warehouse, etc etc.. Just wish the "old" style Iggy was still in-game. Dislike Greatly the X3-TC TP's except the Angel.. That's a class act !!

Fighters.. In X2, the Mako rocked; X3-TC, the Skate Proto is VERY good, if you put the right weapons on it, after that, I'll take a Tenjin or Chimera.

IMHO, for Bigger, M6 and up, nothing says .."Feeling Lucky, Punk ??".. like the Warship designs of the SPLIT... :wink:

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 20:41

Ulan Dhor wrote:
its also the only m7 that can use the ion cannon :D

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 21:09

I'll stick to my Shrike. Multi purpose, multi role, I can't afford enough of them. At least two to protect one Boreas or even one less attractive Phoenix. The workhorse of my would be Security Fleet. Nasty sting too.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 21:21

I think the Boron Ray can focus more PPCs than most other destroyers on a single target. IIRC, the front, right and left turrets are placed such that they can all fire if you're facing directly at the target. The thresher is good if you can keep a decent distance from any other battleships, but you have to be really careful when exiting gates- I've been nailed a few times by that long tail you speak of. (Incidentally, doesn't the Thresher remind you of a Barracuda Raider?)
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 15. Dec 09, 23:23

Ulan Dhor wrote: And regarding Argon versions, they are definitely not the best in all categories. It's fortunately spread out.
Oddly enough, they're especially poor in the area of the M7 class, where the Cerberus is generally considered the absolute bottom of the heap. When people would rather take a pirate Carrack than your ship, you know you've messed up somewhere! Thresher is unquestionably a much better ship than the Cerberus.

In fact, if you were to list all the Boron ships that are arguably better than the Argon equivalent, you get several:

TP: Angel is far better than Express, no question.
TS: Mercury is a middle-of-the-road ship. The Dolphin goes for cargo at the expense of everything else, which some people like.
M7: Thresher beats Cerberus despite having no docking bays.
M2: Ray can bring more firepower to bear on a single target than virtually any other ship. Titan, on the other hand, is just meh.

I don't think anyone would ever say the Boron fighter craft are superb, although I have a soft spot for the Skate Prototype.

Mr. Reeves
x4

Post by Mr. Reeves » Wed, 16. Dec 09, 05:49

The only good thing about the Boron ship is they make a pretty boom and that they sell well!
The skunk really is a bare bones model. It doesn't even have a GPS to highlight the way. Or targeting software MK 2 to allow target selection and painting from the sector map. It lacks a Trading System Extention to show prices in the sector you are in. The lack of satellites in rebirth is also annoying to the trader/pirate looking for a mark.

Antarus
x3tc

Post by Antarus » Wed, 16. Dec 09, 22:49

Split agree! :split:

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Thu, 17. Dec 09, 01:26

pjknibbs wrote:Thresher is unquestionably a much better ship than the Cerberus.
Not when your Cerberuses have Plasma Beam Cannons. 8)

orc5me
x3tc

Post by orc5me » Thu, 17. Dec 09, 02:17

Paranid ships have always exerted some sort of pull on me, so I pick Paranid over all else (no doubt because of my prejudiced attitude), but if I had to pick and M7 other than Paranid, probably Teladi.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”