[TC] A little game for repair lasers

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Koruth
x4

A little game for repair lasers

Post by Koruth » Thu, 17. Dec 09, 11:01

I like to have my captured ships fully repaired when I sell them, to maximize my profits, so I've invented a little game to pass the time on particularly beastly repairs. (I don't like wasting SETA devices)

EVA out... and then send the ship off to the nearest shipyard to be sold. As it flies off, keep alongside it with your strafejets, and try to repair a now-moving target!

The rules are:

Don't come closer than 100 meters (coming in closer than 80 tends to make fighters try to avoid collision with you, so it slows them down on their way to be sold, and 20 is a nice buffer for mistakes)

Don't go *further* away than 200 meters (bit hard to do fun tricks that far away)

You get bonus points for drawing funny designs on the ship with your laser, or doing stunts like rotating around the ship without breaking beam contact.

The game ends when the ship passes a jumpgate, or when the ship is fully repaired (the game rarely if ever lasts long enough to make O2 an issue, and if it does, you're probably trying to repair too damn big of a ship with a repair laser)

Here's a few pics of me playing the game with a Nova I captured during a Station Protection mission!

(pics are big, so I went for thumbnails, click to expand)

Pic 1: The game is on! I start up the ship's engine and my laser, and start to wriggle my way out to 100m:

[ external image ]

Pic 2: Keeping a careful eye on my distance, I stay even with the ship. Unseeable to the pic, I draw a smiley face with my laser.

[ external image ]

Pic 3: The one drawback of the game... You tend to get a little stranded
[ external image ]

Koruth
x4

Post by Koruth » Thu, 17. Dec 09, 20:47

I know, I know, lame and silly idea... What can I say, I always get bored on long repairs and I don't like leaving the game idle.

Reaper Jack

Post by Reaper Jack » Thu, 17. Dec 09, 21:17

guess it's a way to pass the time!! Now try doing that with an M7M on 5% hull, that should take you 1 1/2 hours without SETA, and yes, I've been and done it (well I wanted to sell the thing for 35mil yeah? Rather than 2mil lol)
'I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, intellect and reason intended us to forgo their use'-Galileo Galile
Ranks: (TC) Capitalist, Crusader
Currently flying: Split M7 Tiger
Current most expensive ship: OTAS M2 Boreas

DarkTemplar
x3tc

Post by DarkTemplar » Thu, 17. Dec 09, 23:17

Reaper Jack wrote:guess it's a way to pass the time!! Now try doing that with an M7M on 5% hull, that should take you 1 1/2 hours without SETA, and yes, I've been and done it (well I wanted to sell the thing for 35mil yeah? Rather than 2mil lol)
You know that with combat missions you could have made more money in the same time?

Some people really are weird.

wizrd755
x2

Post by wizrd755 » Fri, 18. Dec 09, 00:26

DarkTemplar wrote:
Reaper Jack wrote:guess it's a way to pass the time!! Now try doing that with an M7M on 5% hull, that should take you 1 1/2 hours without SETA, and yes, I've been and done it (well I wanted to sell the thing for 35mil yeah? Rather than 2mil lol)
You know that with combat missions you could have made more money in the same time?

Well,, some of us have "goals" we want to meet and 1.5 hours of combat missions can get the combat rank up to high to complete our goals.

Such as:
(1) Finish OFF at WARLORD or less, with 1 M3, 1 M8 and maybe 1 TL, Commonwealth ships only;
(2) 2+ Billion in the bank (pocket, stations, where ever) before doing any missions other than OFF and Treasure Hunt (1.7bill now doing Build, Transport, and Nividium);
(3) 6 closed loop 'Plexs with Minimum 12 stations; only 1 Booze allowed;
(4) "Acquire" one M7 and M7M of each non-Terran race;
(5) Train 60 Marines to 4* in all ranks but Fight. Buy only 3* fighters or higher.

Then the "fun" Begins... Gotta admit, miss the "FIGHT" in this restart, but the THINK, BUILD, and TRADE are getting a work-out !!!

My game, My way.. Gotta Luv EgoSoft !! :)

Koruth
x4

Post by Koruth » Fri, 18. Dec 09, 04:27

Yeah, I only repair things of fighter size, m5s, 4s, big fighters like Nova and so on, and TS'. A big ol' corvette is something that I'd only repair if I was gonna use it, and then in a shipyard.

Still, those heavy fighters can take a good long while to repair, and they're just slow enough to keep alongside with your suit. It can get a little hard to keep up when their health is near topped up, but that just makes it more fun toward the end.

Maybe I'm easily amused.

mattig89ch

Post by mattig89ch » Fri, 18. Dec 09, 04:55

how are you keeping up? You only go 10 m/s.

Koruth
x4

Post by Koruth » Fri, 18. Dec 09, 05:01

WASD mate, the suit *hauls* when you strafe. I've estimated it going ~80m/s

Line yourself up so going left/right/up/or down will mean going the same way as the ship, and try not to outrun it :P

Mr. Reeves
x4

Post by Mr. Reeves » Fri, 18. Dec 09, 06:43

how to fix stuff by Mr. Reeves.

1. Eject
2. Find a metal watch or something heavy
3. aim the boresight at your parked ship/station/ally whatever
4. Place paperweight/watch/stack of pennies/ be creative on the left CTRL key.
5. see how many pushups, situps, 8 counts and jumping jacks you can do before said digital ship is auto repaired.

you get extra points for a destroyer with less than 16% hull after you boarding party shot the hell out of it and a missle hit it with no shields. I ended up taking that one to the shipyard. ")
The skunk really is a bare bones model. It doesn't even have a GPS to highlight the way. Or targeting software MK 2 to allow target selection and painting from the sector map. It lacks a Trading System Extention to show prices in the sector you are in. The lack of satellites in rebirth is also annoying to the trader/pirate looking for a mark.

Reaper Jack

Post by Reaper Jack » Sat, 19. Dec 09, 20:07

well an M6 only takes abot 20-25mins normally, I worked out that 1 hour fixing time=100000 hull units fixed, this happened after my Tiger 'crashed' into a gate rather than go through it
'I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, intellect and reason intended us to forgo their use'-Galileo Galile
Ranks: (TC) Capitalist, Crusader
Currently flying: Split M7 Tiger
Current most expensive ship: OTAS M2 Boreas

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 19. Dec 09, 20:46

DarkTemplar wrote:You know that with combat missions you could have made more money in the same time?

But you seem to be missing the point of a sandbox game.
There is no winning condition.

You set your own goals or learn to live without. And if the goal happens to be to draw the perfect smiley face on a Titan...
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

xcal13
x4

Post by xcal13 » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 01:43

did someone say weird :twisted:
"War, war never changes..."

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”