Using SETA has wrecked my game!!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dynamo breaker
x3tc

Using SETA has wrecked my game!!

Post by dynamo breaker » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 07:37

I really wanted an M1, so I left SETA on overnight to let my factories build up credits. But when I came back 12 hours later, I had lots of money but the FPS were at like 5 and the game was almost unplayable. I docked, saved and restarted the computer but no luck. Old saves and new games work fine, but this one is unusable.

So, how can you make a factory profitable without using SETA? It seems like an impossible task. For example, I have a space weed complex that cost me 5.5 million credits to build. Not counting ecells, it makes almost 30,000 credits every 18 minutes. That means it would take more than 50 hours of selling just to pay for the station! The idea of an empire based on factories is appealing to me, but I just dont have that kind of free time.

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 08:05

You could try missions. At a middle-ish trade rank, taxi and transport ware missions net at least a million normally two and they only take 10 minutes to complete!

Also, if you have a good fight rank assassinate missions can get a lot too.
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

zyriel
x4

Post by zyriel » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 08:07

bliss place alone makes 109k profit per hour and it costs 3 564 320 cr
so you can earn back the station cost in 33 hours
and thats quite profitable in my opinion
weed sells itself so good you dont have to worry about anything
about the lag - the SETA had nothing to do with it
your complex is laggy cos of the tubes that connects separate station
one way to overcome this is not to look directly at your complex when you fly there
the other option is better PC
im struggling the same issue like you and many others
example: i can build 800 stations and in one sector and it runs about 15-20 frames per second (not good but tolerable)
but when i build 100 station complex i get 0.5 frames per second
and lots of 5 sec freezes when looking at the complex
that clearly proves that theres something terribly wrong with the tubes
if 100 tubes eats 20 times more PC power than 700 stations

PS: im playing X3TC patch 2.5

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 08:12

Or, build your complex far up and behind a gate, where you'll never have to look at it, or in a sector with nebulae.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

dynamo breaker
x3tc

Post by dynamo breaker » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 09:14

I think you guys are misunderstanding, the framerate drop is not from looking at the complexes. Its always present in that save file, no matter where I am. My factories make plenty of money if I leave it on SETA, but then I get progressively worse FPS the longer I leave it on for.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 09:50

What version are you running? ISTR an issue like this in an early one that got patched out?

Edit: From 2.5 patch - Fixed mission memory leak which led to slow savegames

M

dynamo breaker
x3tc

Post by dynamo breaker » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 22:03

maphys wrote:What version are you running? ISTR an issue like this in an early one that got patched out?

Edit: From 2.5 patch - Fixed mission memory leak which led to slow savegames

M
I'm running Reunion with XTM and some other scripts, could be some sort of conflict with them. As far as I know there are no memory leaks in Reunion 2.5. Anyways, I was just wondering if there was some trick to making money off of factories without using SETA.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 22:06

Factories are not fast money makers. They are expensive to set up and take a long time to pay that back. Sadly that is the long and short of it. If you want quicker money then UTs, Xenon farming and so on are the better investment.

M

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 22:16

Yeah, I am running the game 24/7 with 4x seta (started and stopped every 40 sec) and no slowdown so far. I do restart it sometimes because it still gets sluggish but a restart definitely helps with that.
There are better ways to get money in this game than using SETA. Missions are probably the easiest way to do this.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 23. Dec 09, 22:23

Xenon Invasions used to be fun an nourishing for bank account in Reunion. Don't know if those are available with the X-Tended Mod.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

dynamo breaker
x3tc

Post by dynamo breaker » Thu, 24. Dec 09, 00:22

maphys wrote:Factories are not fast money makers. They are expensive to set up and take a long time to pay that back. Sadly that is the long and short of it. If you want quicker money then UTs, Xenon farming and so on are the better investment.

M
Bummer, I thought it would be cool to set up lots of factories and make money that way but the SETA slowdown is a bit of a problem. Looks like I'm back to nividium mining, oh well.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Thu, 24. Dec 09, 08:10

Oh factories do make money if you get enough of them. In one of my TC games I get 50-60 million an hour from them. But it takes more that 2500 factories to do that! They are just not the quickest way to make cash. You need to set them up, go do something else. My usual method was to buy a complex, set it running, go earn enough to buy another one and so on and so on. Once you have a thousand or more fabs running then you might reach the point where factories will be paying for more factories.

M

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Thu, 24. Dec 09, 09:03

dynamo breaker wrote:I'm running Reunion with XTM and some other scripts, could be some sort of conflict with them. As far as I know there are no memory leaks in Reunion 2.5. Anyways, I was just wondering if there was some trick to making money off of factories without using SETA.
Since you're running a modified game, noone will be able to tell you the reasons. Maybe on of your scripts besides XTM is causing the problems.

It's pretty sure not an X3:R problem.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”